Subjects like Opensim-users Digest....

Gary Beck
I continue to be puzzled by the use of these subjects that give no clue what the subject is.

-  Gary Beck

Re: Subjects like Opensim-users Digest....

Slavin, Simon

On 4 Nov 2011, at 12:41pm, Gary Beck wrote:

> I continue to be puzzled by the use of these subjects that give no clue what the subject is.

They are caused by people who read the list as a digest (one post per day with all content for that day) replying to a message without setting the 'Subject' header properly.  The problem is that if a later poster to the thread corrects the header, it 'breaks' the thread for many email programs.

Yes, I find them very annoying too.  I think mailman should reject all messages with 'Digest' in the subject-header.

Simon.

was Re: Subjects like Opensim-users Digest.... now let's all make a buck off of what's free

Ric Moore
On 11/04/2011 08:41 AM, Gary Beck wrote:
> I continue to be puzzled by the use of these subjects that give no clue
> what the subject is.

The same people with no regard for the "gift-debt" they are in to the
OpenSim devels. It's a strange claim to make, "I want to teach my kids"
this notion. Why not teach them to go across the street and take
Johnny's bike and rent it out, after Johnny gave them permission to ride
it? Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Re: was Re: Subjects like Opensim-users Digest.... now let's all make a buck off of what's free

Sarge Misfit
Don't people run networks and servers and businesses using Linux? And
make a profit doing so? How many region and grid hosting services that
charge for those services use Linux on their servers? Servers that run
OpenSim for those regions and grids.

If I spend my time and energy maintaining a grid, dealing with
customer complaints, answering general inquiries, dealing with
copyright issues, paying the utilities, and all the other things that
I have to do to keep that grid running using OpenSim, shouldn't I be
compensated for the expenditure of my time, energy and finances?

Some people see the metaverse as a hobby. An entertainment that they
can share with others, be they friends and family, or the general
public. Others see a potential to start their own business using an
emerging technology. And still others see the educational prospects
for using OpenSim. But the reality is, for each and every one of us,
we need to eat. We need to pay the rent. We need to cover the costs of
the hardware to run those grids.

TANSTAAFL :-)

On 11/4/11, Ric Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/04/2011 08:41 AM, Gary Beck wrote:
>> I continue to be puzzled by the use of these subjects that give no clue
>> what the subject is.
>
> The same people with no regard for the "gift-debt" they are in to the
> OpenSim devels. It's a strange claim to make, "I want to teach my kids"
> this notion. Why not teach them to go across the street and take
> Johnny's bike and rent it out, after Johnny gave them permission to ride
> it? Ric

> http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Re: Subjects like Opensim-users Digest....

Cider Jack
Nine times out of ten I delete such subject lines without reading just
on principle. Gmail though displays the first line or so of text in
the inbox, and if something there catches my eye I'll read it. Then if
I reply, well yeah, what Simon says about correcting the subject
breaking the thread. Sometimes I feel a pang of guilt not changing it,
but the breaking issue...

Annoys the heck outta me too, but I'm not sure what to do about it! If
the mailman software did reject them, perhaps with an automated note
back to the sender to change the subject line...

Cheers,
~!CJ

On 11/5/11, Slavin, Simon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 4 Nov 2011, at 12:41pm, Gary Beck wrote:
>
>> I continue to be puzzled by the use of these subjects that give no clue
>> what the subject is.
>
> They are caused by people who read the list as a digest (one post per day
> with all content for that day) replying to a message without setting the
> 'Subject' header properly.  The problem is that if a later poster to the
> thread corrects the header, it 'breaks' the thread for many email programs.
>
> Yes, I find them very annoying too.  I think mailman should reject all
> messages with 'Digest' in the subject-header.
>
> Simon.

Re: Subjects like Opensim-users Digest....

Robert L martin
On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Cider Jack <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Then if
> I reply, well yeah, what Simon says about correcting the subject
> breaking the thread. Sometimes I feel a pang of guilt not changing it,
> but the breaking issue...

i would say be correct rather than propagate an error. Besides all of
the intelligent replies should follow the first "break" thread.

--
Robert L Martin