Terrain over Multiple Regions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Terrain over Multiple Regions

Jawa Lunk
Greetings all!
 
I am running the latest Diva on XP, and it runs beautifully...
 
I have Multiple regions connected together in a 4 X 4 grid arrangement.
 
I used L3DT and created a nice map at 1024 x 1024, and exported as .RAW and changed the extension to .r32
 
No here comes the issue...
 
How do I upload my terrain.r32 to change my 4X4 grid????
 
PLEASE help Open-mouthed smile
 
 

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Terrain over Multiple Regions

Tokeiito
I always offer before asking in group try to find information in website or google :)


this link was first in google results.

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:21 AM, Gmail Account <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greetings all!
 
I am running the latest Diva on XP, and it runs beautifully...
 
I have Multiple regions connected together in a 4 X 4 grid arrangement.
 
I used L3DT and created a nice map at 1024 x 1024, and exported as .RAW and changed the extension to .r32
 
No here comes the issue...
 
How do I upload my terrain.r32 to change my 4X4 grid????
 
PLEASE help Open-mouthed smile
 
 

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users



_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Terrain over Multiple Regions

enauman
In Step 7 of the link rotating the textures is no longer necessary.
But basically it's right, take your 1024 graphic and slice it into 256 x 256 squares. Each region in the megaregion gets one. name them carefully so you can keep track of which goes where. When all the terrains are loaded they will fit together nicely.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Terrain over Multiple Regions

Jawa Lunk
In reply to this post by Tokeiito
Actually...I have searched...I've been a member on this list for quite a while now, and rarely ask questions...

the link you suggest mentions nothing about L3DT, nor placing textures on non-root regions.

I tried the link you suggested BEFORE asking on here, and I could not get the sim to accept the png files...

I gave up on cross-region terraforming for now...BUT I would at least like to change the ground textures in the regions.

I can access the root region through the Region/Estate, but it only allows me to access the root region...I can not use it in any of the other regions, and when I changed the textures in the root, it only effected the root.

How can I access the other regions to change the texture?

thank you...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Terrain over Multiple Regions

Tokeiito
there are two ways to change textures:
a. jump to each region and use viewer to do that.
b. use region console:

(citation from opensimulator.org):

"set terrain texture <number> <uuid> [<x>]: [<y>] - Sets the terrain
<number> to<uuid>,
if <x> or <y> are specified, it will only set it on regions with a
matching coordinate.
Specify -1 in <x> or <y> to wildcard that coordinate.
Terrain texture 0 is beach/underwater and the number increases with elevation.
A typical arrangement might be sand for 0, grass for 1 and 2, and stone for 3."

where UUID is texture's UUID.

and do logout.

also, there is command in console:

"change region <region name> - Change current console region"

I dont want to be rude, but:

a. its really helpful to type in console "help" and examine what it gives;
b. its really helpful to use search in google like:
site:opensimulator.org  terrain texture
c. do a bit of experimentations ;)


" tried the link you suggested BEFORE asking on here, and I could not get
the sim to accept the png files..."

was there any error in console? or were you tryin to use png files in client?



Respectfully,

Tokeiito Imako



On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Jawa Lunk <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Actually...I have searched...I've been a member on this list for quite a
> while now, and rarely ask questions...
>
> the link you suggest mentions nothing about L3DT, nor placing textures on
> non-root regions.
>
> I tried the link you suggested BEFORE asking on here, and I could not get
> the sim to accept the png files...
>
> I gave up on cross-region terraforming for now...BUT I would at least like
> to change the ground textures in the regions.
>
> I can access the root region through the Region/Estate, but it only allows
> me to access the root region...I can not use it in any of the other regions,
> and when I changed the textures in the root, it only effected the root.
>
> How can I access the other regions to change the texture?
>
> thank you...
> --
> View this message in context: http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/Terrain-over-Multiple-Regions-tp5964733p5975474.html
> Sent from the opensim-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
>
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Terrain over Multiple Regions

Tokeiito
In reply to this post by Jawa Lunk
I've dug out some links about terrain editing for OpenSim. Thous
articles i've used as reference for my regions landshaping:

http://tgib.co.uk/2010/05/07/how-to-create-raw-terrain-files-for-second-life-and-opensim-with-terragen/
http://tgib.co.uk/2010/06/05/how-to-create-megaregion-terrain-raw-files-for-second-life-and-opensim/

Respectfully,

Tokeiito Imako



On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Jawa Lunk <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Actually...I have searched...I've been a member on this list for quite a
> while now, and rarely ask questions...
>
> the link you suggest mentions nothing about L3DT, nor placing textures on
> non-root regions.
>
> I tried the link you suggested BEFORE asking on here, and I could not get
> the sim to accept the png files...
>
> I gave up on cross-region terraforming for now...BUT I would at least like
> to change the ground textures in the regions.
>
> I can access the root region through the Region/Estate, but it only allows
> me to access the root region...I can not use it in any of the other regions,
> and when I changed the textures in the root, it only effected the root.
>
> How can I access the other regions to change the texture?
>
> thank you...
> --
> View this message in context: http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/Terrain-over-Multiple-Regions-tp5964733p5975474.html
> Sent from the opensim-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
>
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Terrain over Multiple Regions

Jawa Lunk
In reply to this post by Tokeiito
thank you,

like I posted though, when I go to regions other than the root, the viewer only shows the root region, no matter what region I'm in.

So I can't use the viewer to change the maps or textures...

I received an email which actually gave me the instructions I was looking for when using L3DT which walked me through the creation, saving and uploading to the server.

I can create and upload the terrains now without a problem.

Thanks for the help.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Terrain over Multiple Regions

Vanish
Hi,

on a megaregion you can't upload the terrain files via the viewer. This will always just change the terrain of the root region. The terrains for the remaining child regions need to be changed via the console, by changing to the according region with the >change region< command and loading the terrain with >terrain load<. I discussed that in the comments on my megaregion tutorial a bit more in-depth: http://tgib.co.uk/2010/06/05/how-to-create-megaregion-terrain-raw-files-for-second-life-and-opensim/
The Twilight’s Green Illuminate Beam, This Great ImBalance, that I’ve seen, That Trees Got Icy Branches and, The Good In Bad, That God I’ve Been. http://tgib.co.uk/