The Patent LL was awarded in Dec 2014

Han Held
...should probably be something you're aware of before you continue
throwing time and money on  this project:
https://www.google.com/patents/US8612196

And before you blow it off by saying it applies to "every MMO ever" or
similar, I should point out that "every MMO ever" isn't competing
directly with Linden Lab.

See you in SL(/2)!
-Han Held

Re: The Patent LL was awarded in Dec 2014

Diva Canto
DO NOT SEND ANY LINKS TO ANY PATENTS TO THE MAILING LISTS HOSTED AT OUR
SERVER.
DO NOT DISCUSS PATENTS IN THESE MAILING LISTS.
It doesn't matter who the assignee is. Open source and patents don't mix.
If you want to cause FUD do it in your own server or on social networks.
The next person who does this will be kicked out of the mailing list
without warning.

On 4/24/2015 12:07 PM, Han Held wrote:

> ...should probably be something you're aware of before you continue
> throwing time and money on  this project:
> https://www.google.com/patents/US8612196
>
> And before you blow it off by saying it applies to "every MMO ever" or
> similar, I should point out that "every MMO ever" isn't competing
> directly with Linden Lab.
>
> See you in SL(/2)!
> -Han Held

Re: The Patent LL was awarded in Dec 2014

Doug Danforth
Wow. One is not even allowed to discuss patents on this list?

So much for the "open" part ......

Doug

> On Apr 24, 2015, at 3:44 PM, Diva Canto <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> DO NOT SEND ANY LINKS TO ANY PATENTS TO THE MAILING LISTS HOSTED AT OUR SERVER.
> DO NOT DISCUSS PATENTS IN THESE MAILING LISTS.
> It doesn't matter who the assignee is. Open source and patents don't mix.
> If you want to cause FUD do it in your own server or on social networks.
> The next person who does this will be kicked out of the mailing list without warning.
>

>> On 4/24/2015 12:07 PM, Han Held wrote:
>> ...should probably be something you're aware of before you continue throwing time and money on  this project:
>> https://www.google.com/patents/US8612196
>>
>> And before you blow it off by saying it applies to "every MMO ever" or similar, I should point out that "every MMO ever" isn't competing directly with Linden Lab.
>>
>> See you in SL(/2)!
>> -Han Held

Re: The Patent LL was awarded in Dec 2014

James Hughes
Doug,

It has nothing to do with being open or not, but we have very good
reasons that we do not discuss such things here. Please honor the
request to refrain from discussing this topic.

Thanks,
-BlueWall

On Fri, 2015-04-24 at 18:21 -0400, DrDoug Pennell wrote:

> Wow. One is not even allowed to discuss patents on this list?
>
> So much for the "open" part ......
>
> Doug
>

> > On Apr 24, 2015, at 3:44 PM, Diva Canto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > DO NOT SEND ANY LINKS TO ANY PATENTS TO THE MAILING LISTS HOSTED AT OUR SERVER.
> > DO NOT DISCUSS PATENTS IN THESE MAILING LISTS.
> > It doesn't matter who the assignee is. Open source and patents don't mix.
> > If you want to cause FUD do it in your own server or on social networks.
> > The next person who does this will be kicked out of the mailing list without warning.
> >

> >> On 4/24/2015 12:07 PM, Han Held wrote:
> >> ...should probably be something you're aware of before you continue throwing time and money on  this project:
> >> https://www.google.com/patents/US8612196
> >>
> >> And before you blow it off by saying it applies to "every MMO ever" or similar, I should point out that "every MMO ever" isn't competing directly with Linden Lab.
> >>
> >> See you in SL(/2)!
> >> -Han Held

Re: The Patent LL was awarded in Dec 2014

Tim Gildersleeve-2
So, just to clarify.....

Not mentioning anything specifically, no topics that may be "dodgy" but if something had a chance of being a threat to the future of OpenSimulator (whatever that something may be), if it is a "forbidden topic" then as a community we should pursue a "head in the sands" approach to it?

I'm just curious - and I am not mentioning any unmentionables.

Tim

It has nothing to do with being open or not, but we have very good reasons that we do not discuss such things here. Please honor the request to refrain from discussing this topic.

Thanks,
-BlueWall

On Fri, 2015-04-24 at 18:21 -0400, DrDoug Pennell wrote:

> Wow. One is not even allowed to discuss patents on this list?
>
> So much for the "open" part ......
>
> Doug
>

> > On Apr 24, 2015, at 3:44 PM, Diva Canto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > DO NOT SEND ANY LINKS TO ANY PATENTS TO THE MAILING LISTS HOSTED AT OUR SERVER.
> > DO NOT DISCUSS PATENTS IN THESE MAILING LISTS.
> > It doesn't matter who the assignee is. Open source and patents don't mix.
> > If you want to cause FUD do it in your own server or on social networks.
> > The next person who does this will be kicked out of the mailing list without warning.
> >

> >> On 4/24/2015 12:07 PM, Han Held wrote:
> >> ...should probably be something you're aware of before you continue throwing time and money on  this project:
> >> https://www.google.com/patents/US8612196
> >>
> >> And before you blow it off by saying it applies to "every MMO ever" or similar, I should point out that "every MMO ever" isn't competing directly with Linden Lab.
> >>
> >> See you in SL(/2)!
> >> -Han Held

Re: The Patent LL was awarded in Dec 2014

Diva Canto
No. Those topics just shouldn't be mentioned in these mailing lists. You
can talk about them anywhere else, but not here.
Anything related to patents is a grey area, so the less developers are
explicitly exposed to it, the less liabilities the entire project will
be under.

Now please respect the request and do not bring this topic again here.
As I said, you can talk about it anywhere else you want, but not here.