This will NEVER go away

12

This will NEVER go away

Thom King
NO, this will NEVER "go away"!

I spent all of yesterday with the FBI and my lawyers to make sure that the criminals responsible will be hunted down, convicted, sent to prison and that they will pay for the financial damages they inflicted.

The deliberate inclusion of intentionally malicious timebomb code attacks are a violation of federal law in the US, a violation of National law thruout Europe, and a violation of International law in every country in the western hemisphere and most of Asia.  The Type or cost of the software is legally irrelevant - the malicious code is a crime, the knowing intentional distribution is a crime.  Claiming the murder victum should have stayed home is no defence - murder is a crime.

Also - the developers who created or knowingly allowed the deliberately malicious timebomb code attack designed to disrupt systems to be included - must be expelled from the OpenSim community in TOTAL DISHONOR AND DISGRACE.  They have destroyed the credibility of OpenSim and damaged the reputation of Open Source projects in general.
Those criminal developers are dishonest, unethical, totally unprofessional, completely disgusting Assholes.

Re: This will NEVER go away

Dave Coyle
On 2009-04-03 13:40:31 -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> I spent all of yesterday with the FBI and my lawyers to make sure
> that the criminals responsible will be hunted down, convicted, sent
> to prison and that they will pay for the financial damages they
> inflicted.

[ minus -dev ]

You *did* read the license which covers this software before you used
it, didn't you?  In case you didn't, here it is:

    http://opensimulator.org/svn/opensim/trunk/LICENSE.txt

Pay special attention to the last paragrah.

-Coyle

Re: This will NEVER go away

Tim Allen-4
I rarely post here, but I really, really, really hope that your post is a joke trying to wrap this up.

If not, please do us all a favor and take a long nap, count to 10, or whatever you need to do to get a grip on reality.

Look in the mirror and ask yourself: was this really a big deal? No, it was a fun little prank in alpha software on a day that many developers pull pranks. Pranks were pulled on Wikipedia, Google, and many, many other places. Perhaps you should get the FBI and lawyers on them too.

Though I doubt the veracity of this story; every attorney I know would quite rightly laugh at you trying to prosecute such a ridiculous, minor, harmless prank. If you lost your funding over something this irrelevant in alpha code, then tell your funders to get a life as well.

My two cents.

Regards,

-Tim

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Thom King <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Michael Mitchell-2
Obviously, we all haven't had our input to the thread. Is this list
moderated at all?

Just wondering.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Dave Coyle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2009-04-03 13:40:31 -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I spent all of yesterday with the FBI and my lawyers to make sure
>> that the criminals responsible will be hunted down, convicted, sent
>> to prison and that they will pay for the financial damages they
>> inflicted.
>
> [ minus -dev ]
>
> You *did* read the license which covers this software before you used
> it, didn't you?  In case you didn't, here it is:
>
>    http://opensimulator.org/svn/opensim/trunk/LICENSE.txt
>
> Pay special attention to the last paragrah.
>
> -Coyle

Re: This will NEVER go away

Teravus Ovares
fw0rd

You're taking this joke too far now.    As you know OpenSimulator has
a new BSD license and what you're saying is completely BS.

Sincerely

Teravus

On 4/3/09, Thom King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> NO, this will NEVER "go away"!
>
> I spent all of yesterday with the FBI and my lawyers to make sure that the criminals responsible will be hunted down, convicted, sent to prison and that they will pay for the financial damages they inflicted.
>
> The deliberate inclusion of intentionally malicious timebomb code attacks are a violation of federal law in the US, a violation of National law thruout Europe, and a violation of International law in every country in the western hemisphere and most of Asia.  The Type or cost of the software is legally irrelevant - the malicious code is a crime, the knowing intentional distribution is a crime.  Claiming the murder victum should have stayed home is no defence - murder is a crime.
>
> Also - the developers who created or knowingly allowed the deliberately malicious timebomb code attack designed to disrupt systems to be included - must be expelled from the OpenSim community in TOTAL DISHONOR AND DISGRACE.  They have destroyed the credibility of OpenSim and damaged the reputation of Open Source projects in general.
> Those criminal developers are dishonest, unethical, totally unprofessional, completely disgusting Assholes.

Re: This will NEVER go away

Thom King wrote:
> NO, this will NEVER "go away"!
>
> I spent all of yesterday with the FBI and my lawyers to make sure that the criminals responsible will be hunted down, convicted, sent to prison and that they will pay for the financial damages they inflicted.

Dibs on the top bunk!  And I'm not going to be the one retrieving the soap in the showers :)

> The deliberate inclusion of intentionally malicious timebomb code attacks are a violation of federal law in the US, a violation of National law thruout Europe, and a violation of International law in every country in the western hemisphere and most of Asia.  The Type or cost of the software is legally irrelevant - the malicious code is a crime, the knowing intentional distribution is a crime.  Claiming the murder victum should have stayed home is no defence - murder is a crime.
>
> Also - the developers who created or knowingly allowed the deliberately malicious timebomb code attack designed to disrupt systems to be included - must be expelled from the OpenSim community in TOTAL DISHONOR AND DISGRACE.  They have destroyed the credibility of OpenSim and damaged the reputation of Open Source projects in general.
> Those criminal developers are dishonest, unethical, totally unprofessional, completely disgusting Assholes.

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: This will NEVER go away

Thom King wrote:
> NO, this will NEVER "go away"!
>
> I spent all of yesterday with the FBI and my lawyers to make sure that the criminals responsible will be hunted down, convicted, sent to prison and that they will pay for the financial damages they inflicted.

Dibs on the top bunk!  And I'm not going to be the one retrieving the soap in the showers  :)

> The deliberate inclusion of intentionally malicious timebomb code attacks are a violation of federal law in the US, a violation of National law thruout Europe, and a violation of International law in every country in the western hemisphere and most of Asia.  The Type or cost of the software is legally irrelevant - the malicious code is a crime, the knowing intentional distribution is a crime.  Claiming the murder victum should have stayed home is no defence - murder is a crime.
>
> Also - the developers who created or knowingly allowed the deliberately malicious timebomb code attack designed to disrupt systems to be included - must be expelled from the OpenSim community in TOTAL DISHONOR AND DISGRACE.  They have destroyed the credibility of OpenSim and damaged the reputation of Open Source projects in general.
> Those criminal developers are dishonest, unethical, totally unprofessional, completely disgusting Assholes.

James Stallings II
I'm still not convinced this whole thread isn't a one-up April Fool's joke on the devs, now gone hopelessly stale

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thom King wrote:
> NO, this will NEVER "go away"!
>
> I spent all of yesterday with the FBI and my lawyers to make sure that the criminals responsible will be hunted down, convicted, sent to prison and that they will pay for the financial damages they inflicted.

Dibs on the top bunk!  And I'm not going to be the one retrieving the soap in the showers  :)

> The deliberate inclusion of intentionally malicious timebomb code attacks are a violation of federal law in the US, a violation of National law thruout Europe, and a violation of International law in every country in the western hemisphere and most of Asia.  The Type or cost of the software is legally irrelevant - the malicious code is a crime, the knowing intentional distribution is a crime.  Claiming the murder victum should have stayed home is no defence - murder is a crime.
>
> Also - the developers who created or knowingly allowed the deliberately malicious timebomb code attack designed to disrupt systems to be included - must be expelled from the OpenSim community in TOTAL DISHONOR AND DISGRACE.  They have destroyed the credibility of OpenSim and damaged the reputation of Open Source projects in general.
> Those criminal developers are dishonest, unethical, totally unprofessional, completely disgusting Assholes.

Charles Krinke-3
Since OpenSim is not going away, perhaps this is a good time to discuss 'groups' implementations.

It seems to me that getting to where we have some semblance of 'groups' in OpenSim is to our advantage and will help the various grids progress. I wonder what other thoughts there are?

Charles

Re: This will NEVER go away

Michael Mitchell
it doesn't go away until everyone from the list replies.

by the way, is it moderated? for example, can that sending address
be blocked?

just wondering; thank you.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Tim Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I rarely post here, but I really, really, really hope that your post is a
> joke trying to wrap this up.
>
> If not, please do us all a favor and take a long nap, count to 10, or
> whatever you need to do to get a grip on reality.
>
> Look in the mirror and ask yourself: was this really a big deal? No, it was
> a fun little prank in alpha software on a day that many developers pull
> pranks. Pranks were pulled on Wikipedia, Google, and many, many other
> places. Perhaps you should get the FBI and lawyers on them too.
>
> Though I doubt the veracity of this story; every attorney I know would quite
> rightly laugh at you trying to prosecute such a ridiculous, minor, harmless
> prank. If you lost your funding over something this irrelevant in alpha
> code, then tell your funders to get a life as well.
>
> My two cents.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Tim
>
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Thom King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> NO, this will NEVER "go away"!
>>
>> I spent all of yesterday with the FBI and my lawyers to make sure that the
>> criminals responsible will be hunted down, convicted, sent to prison and
>> that they will pay for the financial damages they inflicted.
>>
>> The deliberate inclusion of intentionally malicious timebomb code attacks
>> are a violation of federal law in the US, a violation of National law
>> thruout Europe, and a violation of International law in every country in the
>> western hemisphere and most of Asia.  The Type or cost of the software is
>> legally irrelevant - the malicious code is a crime, the knowing intentional
>> distribution is a crime.  Claiming the murder victum should have stayed home
>> is no defence - murder is a crime.
>>
>> Also - the developers who created or knowingly allowed the deliberately
>> malicious timebomb code attack designed to disrupt systems to be included -
>> must be expelled from the OpenSim community in TOTAL DISHONOR AND DISGRACE.
>>  They have destroyed the credibility of OpenSim and damaged the reputation
>> of Open Source projects in general.
>> Those criminal developers are dishonest, unethical, totally
>> unprofessional, completely disgusting Assholes.

Re: This will NEVER go away

JaniP
I want to be part of the fun too, please count me in in the interrogations! I have been contributing to the project, haven't I?

Best regards,
Jani

2009/4/3 Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]>
Thom King wrote:
> NO, this will NEVER "go away"!
>
> I spent all of yesterday with the FBI and my lawyers to make sure that the criminals responsible will be hunted down, convicted, sent to prison and that they will pay for the financial damages they inflicted.

Dibs on the top bunk!  And I'm not going to be the one retrieving the soap in the showers  :)

> The deliberate inclusion of intentionally malicious timebomb code attacks are a violation of federal law in the US, a violation of National law thruout Europe, and a violation of International law in every country in the western hemisphere and most of Asia.  The Type or cost of the software is legally irrelevant - the malicious code is a crime, the knowing intentional distribution is a crime.  Claiming the murder victum should have stayed home is no defence - murder is a crime.
>
> Also - the developers who created or knowingly allowed the deliberately malicious timebomb code attack designed to disrupt systems to be included - must be expelled from the OpenSim community in TOTAL DISHONOR AND DISGRACE.  They have destroyed the credibility of OpenSim and damaged the reputation of Open Source projects in general.
> Those criminal developers are dishonest, unethical, totally unprofessional, completely disgusting Assholes.

Gmail Filter:

Matches: from:([hidden email]) list:"<opensim-users.lists.berlios.de>"
Do this: Skip Inbox, Delete it

just in case.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 11:01 AM, James Stallings II
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm still not convinced this whole thread isn't a one-up April Fool's joke
> on the devs, now gone hopelessly stale
>
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Justin Clark-Casey
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thom King wrote:
>> > NO, this will NEVER "go away"!
>> >
>> > I spent all of yesterday with the FBI and my lawyers to make sure that
>> > the criminals responsible will be hunted down, convicted, sent to prison and
>> > that they will pay for the financial damages they inflicted.
>>
>> Dibs on the top bunk!  And I'm not going to be the one retrieving the soap
>> in the showers  :)
>>

>> > The deliberate inclusion of intentionally malicious timebomb code
>> > attacks are a violation of federal law in the US, a violation of National
>> > law thruout Europe, and a violation of International law in every country in
>> > the western hemisphere and most of Asia.  The Type or cost of the software
>> > is legally irrelevant - the malicious code is a crime, the knowing
>> > intentional distribution is a crime.  Claiming the murder victum should have
>> > stayed home is no defence - murder is a crime.
>> >
>> > Also - the developers who created or knowingly allowed the deliberately
>> > malicious timebomb code attack designed to disrupt systems to be included -
>> > must be expelled from the OpenSim community in TOTAL DISHONOR AND DISGRACE.
>> >  They have destroyed the credibility of OpenSim and damaged the reputation
>> > of Open Source projects in general.
>> > Those criminal developers are dishonest, unethical, totally
>> > unprofessional, completely disgusting Assholes.

Kris Bulman
Thanks James dearly for the recommending the implementation of list moderation and Micheal for recommending we take action and block spam on our own till such point in time.

Kris Bulman

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm still not convinced this whole thread isn't a one-up April Fool's joke
> on the devs, now gone hopelessly stale
>
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Justin Clark-Casey
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Thom King wrote:
>> > NO, this will NEVER "go away"!
>> >
>> > I spent all of yesterday with the FBI and my lawyers to make sure that
>> > the criminals responsible will be hunted down, convicted, sent to prison and
>> > that they will pay for the financial damages they inflicted.
>>
>> Dibs on the top bunk!  And I'm not going to be the one retrieving the soap
>> in the showers  :)
>>

>> > The deliberate inclusion of intentionally malicious timebomb code
>> > attacks are a violation of federal law in the US, a violation of National
>> > law thruout Europe, and a violation of International law in every country in
>> > the western hemisphere and most of Asia.  The Type or cost of the software
>> > is legally irrelevant - the malicious code is a crime, the knowing
>> > intentional distribution is a crime.  Claiming the murder victum should have
>> > stayed home is no defence - murder is a crime.
>> >
>> > Also - the developers who created or knowingly allowed the deliberately
>> > malicious timebomb code attack designed to disrupt systems to be included -
>> > must be expelled from the OpenSim community in TOTAL DISHONOR AND DISGRACE.
>> >  They have destroyed the credibility of OpenSim and damaged the reputation
>> > of Open Source projects in general.
>> > Those criminal developers are dishonest, unethical, totally
>> > unprofessional, completely disgusting Assholes.

The Malicious code was a criminal act. You cannot license a criminal act.
You need to consult a lawyer or solicitor, who will explain to you that you cannot license a criminal act - for example murder.  No license can make murder or intentional malicious code legal or protect the criminal perpetrator.

Re: This will NEVER go away

Ursula MATOVA

Bla bla bla ...

... This discussion starts bothering me ...

:S

Le 3 avr. 09 à 20:42, Thom King a écrit :

> The Malicious code was a criminal act. You cannot license a criminal
> act.
> You need to consult a lawyer or solicitor, who will explain to you
> that you cannot license a criminal act - for example murder.  No
> license can make murder or intentional malicious code legal or
> protect the criminal perpetrator.

Re: This will NEVER go away

Charles Krinke-3
In the spirit of good-hearted thread hijacking, I begin.

We try to encourage as much freedom of expression as possible in opensource development.

Of course, along with freedom comes a bit of responsibility.

I think the proper thing to do with nonsensical posts is:

1. Ignore
2. Hijack back to an interesting OpenSim topic
3. Post a "please stay on topic" reply.

Other then that, moderating the list I suspect, will loose us some of our hard-earned freedom.

Charles

Obviously, we all haven't had our input to the thread. Is this list
moderated at all?

Just wondering.

Re: This will NEVER go away

Thom King

I asure you this is not a "joke".  We are absolutely deadly serious.  We will prosecute this criminal act of malicious code to the fullest extent of Federal, National, and International law.

Re: This will NEVER go away

Charles Krinke-3
As I understand some of the "groups" stuff being worked on, there are one or two projects in the forge concerned with groups and one or two implementations being worked on.

It seems to me that the trick is going to be getting to where we can start testing even a small part of a "groups" implementation on various grids.

Also, as I understand it, one of the issues is that "groups" messages are going to have to be "stored and forwarded" in a MySQL database to handle the case where a group message needs to go to an avatar that is not currently logged in.

Charles

Re: This will NEVER go away

Teravus Ovares
Good luck with that.   Persuing that is about as smart as this:
http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.html?maven_referralObject=4130226&maven_referralPlaylistId=&sRevUrl=http://www.foxnews.com/

Best Regards

plom@gmx.net
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)