Timezone

Gudule Lapointe
How can I setup grid or region time zone?

I noticed my grid is in PDT, while OSGrid for example is in PST. While my server runs in CEST

Can't find settings for that anywhere…

--
Speculoos, the belgian cookie-flavored metaverse

Re: Timezone

GarminKawaguichi
I've looked at but not found a solution!

How can I setup grid or region time zone?

I noticed my grid is in PDT, while OSGrid for example is in PST. While my server runs in CEST

Can't find settings for that anywhere…

Re: Timezone

Vanish-2
The time is a viewer service, and Imprudence is the only one I know that
allows you to change the timezone to UTC (optionally) all others display
PST (or "Second-Life-time", as it's come to be called).

> I've looked at but not found a solution!
>
> Just noted: for a same instance of OpenSimulator (standalone),
> Imprudence displays UTC time and Viewer 3 displays PST.
>
> GCI

The Twilight’s Green Illuminate Beam,
This Great ImBalance, that I’ve seen,
That Trees Got Icy Branches and,
The Good In Bad, That God I’ve Been.

http://tgib.co.uk/

Re: Timezone

Gudule Lapointe
Not totally exact, Vanish. My  tests proved that time info is somewhat send by the server:

- On Singularity AND Second Life viewer (where timezone was supposed to be hard-coded), it shows PDT in my grid, and PST in OSGrid
-> So, times is cleary sent by the server. For viewers listening to that info.
- Imprudence has a setting to choose between PSD/PDT or GMT. If set to PST/PDT, i still get the same difference between OSGrid and mine
-> fallback to same conclusion (and imprudence should probably replace "PST/PDT" by "in-world time" or something like that)
- If I HG to another grid, my viewer keeps the time from my login grid
-> time is set at login time, depending on login server settings
- In the source code I see at some place that the daylight setting is evaluated.
-> maybe only the use of DST can be set on server

Same question is still left: how?
-> maybe just because osgrid auth server runs on a machine where DST is disabled?

And it raise a second question: who should adjust this settings, me, or OSGrid?
No kidding: I just checked in Second Life, and time is PDT now, there.
And I noticed several times that when we're in doubt, SL is often the reference.

--

Le 18 avr. 2012 à 17:50, Vanish a écrit :

The time is a viewer service, and Imprudence is the only one I know that allows you to change the timezone to UTC (optionally) all others display PST (or "Second-Life-time", as it's come to be called).

I've looked at but not found a solution!

Just noted: for a same instance of OpenSimulator (standalone), Imprudence displays UTC time and Viewer 3 displays PST.

GCI

Re: Timezone

Olivier van Helden
If it's not a feature, it's a bug!

I made more extensive tests and my conclusion is:

- If I set my server on whatever timezone not using DST, viewer would show PST in anycase
- If i set it to whatever timezone using DST, viewer would show PDT if applicable, PST otherwise (SL behaviour)

This is insane: we use a local setting for daylight savings, and a global hardcoded setting for the hour

This probably means even those using DST will not change at the same time, depending on which timezone they have.

Le 18 avr. 2012 à 18:24, Gudule Lapointe a écrit :

[...]

Fleep Tuque
I'm not sure why timezone isn't a configurable option in opensim.ini?  My campus grid users don't care about UTC or any other time zone than our own and what they most need to know is when their class meets.

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Olivier van Helden <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

justincc
I can't remember the details but I think this is because it's not something the server can control - the stock viewers
are hardcoded to pacific time even if they might make some change for daylight savings.

The imprudence guys implemented another mechanism to change the timezone, I think.

On 18/04/12 22:31, Fleep Tuque wrote:

> [...]
>>     -> maybe only the use of DST can be set on server
>>
>>     Same question is still left: how?
>>     -> maybe just because osgrid auth server runs on a machine where DST is disabled?
>>
>>     And it raise a second question: who should adjust this settings, me, or OSGrid?
>>     No kidding: I just checked in Second Life, and time is PDT now, there.
>>     And I noticed several times that when we're in doubt, SL is often the reference.
>>

>>     --
>>     http://www.speculoos.net/
>>     secondlife://speculoos.net:8002/
>>     Speculoos, the belgian cookie-flavored metaverse
>>
>>     Le 18 avr. 2012 à 17:50, Vanish a écrit :
>>
>>>     The time is a viewer service, and Imprudence is the only one I know that allows you to change the timezone to UTC
>>>     (optionally) all others display PST (or "Second-Life-time", as it's come to be called).

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: Timezone

Robert Klein
We decided a long time ago to settle on UTC as the default timezone and it looks like the Imprudence team added the support to their viewer. Here is the link to the wiki http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Universal_Time_in_OpenSim

-Robert

Re: Timezone

Gudule Lapointe
My tests and the examples (including OSGrid time)  show that the server DO control DST setting, while it does not control the other part of the timezone.

And this is why it's a bug. If the client is expecting pacific time and relies on the server for DST, DST has to be calculated on Paciifc Time

The "decision" of using UTC is cool, but it has absolutely no effect. I don't know a grid where UTC is the in-world time. Imprudence implements it on the client-side only.

So the server must definitively send the info the client is expecting. Until management of a server-side custom timezone is implemented.

Sending a Hong Kong daylight saving to a client showing Los Angeles time has absolutely no sense.

--

Le 19 avr. 2012 à 00:51, Justin Clark-Casey a écrit :

[...]

[hidden email] <[hidden email]>
(513) 556-3018

http://ucsim.uc.edu

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM, Olivier van Helden <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

We added a patch to the Mantis.

- Server tries to send Pacific Time daylight saving status to the client, whatever timezone the system is.
- If failed, falls back to system time zone and logs a warning.
- It does not affect client-side UTC settings like in Imprudence

I strongly think this is the way to go until custom timezone is actually implemented. And i'd love it to be implemented.

--

Le 19 avr. 2012 à 01:09, Gudule Lapointe a écrit :

[...]

Looks like a good patch to me.  I left a few small comments - if you could fix those up and no-one objects I'll be happy
to slap it in.  Thanks Gudule.

http://justincc.org/blog