Topic: SSL Opensimulator GNU/Linux

tymail@frontiernet.net
Hello,

Just curious, has anyone been able to configure opensim with SSL on Linux?
I've resorted to using stunnel to use certs with the connections. And at
great strides
of trying, there are many issues with configuring it this way. The ini
says using ssl works on
windows, but I see nothing that shows whether or not it will work on
Linux. If it does, what
would be the procedure?

Thank you,
--rjs

Re: Topic: SSL Opensimulator GNU/Linux

Karen_Palen
I use SSL for a network backup (BackupPC) on Ubuntu 9.04 Linux and it works extremely well.

SSL is far more secure and runs much faster than about anything else I have seen. About 2X faster than the standard Win based NETBIOS or Windows network. It includes features like password-less access (via a key on each machine.), this essentially makes password hacking impractical.

I run OpenSim in standalone mode so far, but I really don't see any road blocks to installing Opensim on the Ubuntu server mode OS which is then run remotely with SSL.That is my long term plan in fact.

The Ubuntu server actually includes a setup option to include SSL and a bunch of other stuff like Apache (LAMPS package) when it is installed. Naturally the server mode is text only.

I have not tried SSL on windows, but I understand there is a package that can be installed to give Windows some of the Linux core capability, including things like SSL. You should check the SSL website for exact details on this.

Hope this helps.

Karen