Transfer from Linux to Windows

Bryan Gintz
Is it easy to create the world on a Windows server and then, if needed,
transfer the world to a Linux server?  Let's assume that they both would
have MySQL as the DB.  Is it just a matter of moving the database?

Thanks,
Bryan

--
Bryan Gintz
IT Coordinator

Re: Transfer from Linux to Windows

justincc
Bryan Gintz wrote:
> Is it easy to create the world on a Windows server and then, if needed,
> transfer the world to a Linux server?  Let's assume that they both would
> have MySQL as the DB.  Is it just a matter of moving the database?

This should be just a matter of moving the db (and all the other necessary
config files).  Whether this is easy or not depends on your point of view (the
hardest part is identifying which files to transfer :)

Justin Clark-Casey

Re: Transfer from Linux to Windows

Robert Klein
It is not really all that different from upgrading. Backup your db, save oar your regions, copy your OpenSim.ini, Regions folder, etc. I actually went from Linux to Windows and back again to Linux. Only took a few minutes each time.

-Robert

Bryan Gintz wrote

Email: bgintz@coyfc.org
Phone: [W] (614) 848-4870 x399
        [M] (614) 439-1109
Fax: (614) 754-7418

Re: Transfer from Linux to Windows

Huan
Hi Bryan.

You can user Navicat MySQL for windown and connect to your Mysql window localhost and Mysql on Linux.
Use Transfer db function on Navicat to transfer DB on win to Linux.

if you backup you db in SQL file when you import some error occur.

best regards.

Bryan Gintz wrote:

> Is there a "how-to" that says which files should be transfered?
>
> Bryan
>
> Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>
>   Bryan Gintz wrote:
>

>     Is it easy to create the world on a Windows server and then, if
> needed,
> transfer the world to a Linux server?  Let's assume that they both would
> have MySQL as the DB.  Is it just a matter of moving the database?
>

> This should be just a matter of moving the db (and all the other necessary
> config files).  Whether this is easy or not depends on your point of view
> (the
> hardest part is identifying which files to transfer :)
>

> --
> Bryan Gintz
> IT Coordinator
> Central Ohio Youth for Christ
> Email:        [hidden email]
> Phone:        [W] (614) 848-4870 x399
>       [M] (614) 439-1109
> Fax:  (614) 754-7418

Dau Huan

Re: Transfer from Linux to Windows

lamont cranston
That sounds like a great item for the wiki (hint hint)

Bryan Gintz wrote:

> Is there a "how-to" that says which files should be transfered?
>
> Bryan
>
> Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>
>   Bryan Gintz wrote:
>

>     Is it easy to create the world on a Windows server and then, if
> needed,
> transfer the world to a Linux server?  Let's assume that they both would
> have MySQL as the DB.  Is it just a matter of moving the database?
>

> This should be just a matter of moving the db (and all the other necessary
> config files).  Whether this is easy or not depends on your point of view
> (the
> hardest part is identifying which files to transfer :)
>

> --
> Bryan Gintz
> IT Coordinator
> Central Ohio Youth for Christ
> Email:        [hidden email]
> Phone:        [W] (614) 848-4870 x399
>       [M] (614) 439-1109
> Fax:  (614) 754-7418

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Re: Transfer from Linux to Windows

Karen_Palen
As Robert noted, it is not all that hard to transfer, but why bother?

If you are going to end up on Win, Mac, or Linux why not start there?

There are currently good notes and tutorials for each of them.

To a Linux noob (me!) the Linux command line stuff is strange at first, but really all you need is about a dozen "canned" commands that you get from tutorials!

Doing a custom compile is much more of a challenge because the design teams favour either Win (Visual Studio) or Linux (typically Kdevelop), but that is a workable problem.

The development team is really good about fixing problems with one or the other too!

Karen