Update on OpenSimulator Community Conference 2013

Update on OpenSimulator Community Conference 2013

Fleep Tuque
Hi folks,

I wanted to give a quick update on the OpenSimulator Community Conference 2013 since we're now less than a month away!

Many of you involved with the community have put in proposals to be speakers, and hopefully you've received a confirmation email with the scheduled date, time, and location for your presentation.  If you put in a proposal and didn't yet receive a confirmation, don't panic!  There are a handful of folks that we're still trying to sort on the schedule due to various time constraints, so we still have a few confirmations pending.  You should get something soon, I promise.  ;)

I'd also like to thank everyone who has signed up as a sponsor!  A friendly reminder that the deadline for all sponsor artwork and builds is 8/15, so if you haven't gotten started yet, now's the time to do it.  Submit your logo artwork at http://conference.opensimulator.org/2013/sponsors/sponsor-artwork-submission/ and be sure to review the Expo Booth Building Guidelines at:  http://conference.opensimulator.org/2013/sponsors/sponsor-expo-booth-guidelines/

This is also the last chance for anyone who wants to be a founding sponsor of the conference to sign up, so if you're on the fence, please do take a look at our Call for Sponsors page.  The community sponsorships are as low as $50, and all proceeds go towards the cost of the conference grid and web services needed to run the event.  We're still short on our estimated budget, so every bit helps and the sponsorships are tax deductible for US residents and companies, too!  http://conference.opensimulator.org/2013/sponsors/call-for-sponsors/

We also desperately need more volunteers for the Greeter, Moderator, and Streaming teams.  Our goal is to stream and archive every session of the conference, but if we don't have enough people to help do that, we'll be forced to pick and choose which sessions to stream.  As a bonus, volunteers get an in-world ticket to the conference, so you can hang out and enjoy the rest of the event after your volunteer shift is over!  Please do sign up to help volunteer if you can, we really appreciate the help:  http://conference.opensimulator.org/2013/staff/volunteer-application/

Last but not least, the Social Events schedule is starting to get sign-ups, but there's plenty of slots still open.  This is a great way for you to showcase your grid or projects if you don't feel like doing a formal presentation.  Just sign up to host a social event on your own grid and after the day's breakout sessions are over, conference attendees can come visit and check out your space!  Sign up to host a social event at:  http://conference.opensimulator.org/2013/socials/social-event-sign-up/

Our many, many thanks to all of you who are already helping with the conference, whether you're load testing, bug fixing, building, speaking, sponsoring, or helping in some other way, this is shaping up to be an awesome event!

Thanks and more to come soon as we start finalizing the schedule..

Sincerely,

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (Avatar: Fleep Tuque)
Vice President, AvaCon, Inc.
275 Winthrop Street
PO Box 618
Rehoboth, MA 02769-1819
(774) 654-0010

Re: Update on OpenSimulator Community Conference 2013

Fleep Tuque
Hi Sarge,

The OpenSimulator Community Conference 2013 is a completely independent event, it is not affiliated with any particular grid or hosted on any one else's grid.  A conference grid designed specifically for this event has been created and the conference is being jointly produced by the Overte Foundation and AvaCon, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.

Anyone interested in the OpenSimulator software is invited to participate so long as our Code of Conduct and other policies are followed.

Thanks,