User Levels - Configurable?

Fleep Tuque
Hi all,

I found the wiki page http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Userlevel that explains the User Level field in the database, but has anyone customized or configured this to set specific permissions to different levels?  If so any pointers on how you did that?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks,

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (Avatar: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Research & Development, Innovation & Partnerships
UC Office of Information Technologies
University of Cincinnati
400 University Hall
PO Box 210658
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0658
(513) 556-3018

Re: User Levels - Configurable?

James Hughes
On 03/25/2014 08:59 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I found the wiki page http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Userlevel that
> explains the User Level field in the database, but has anyone customized
> or configured this to set specific permissions to different levels?  If
> so any pointers on how you did that?
>
> Any help much appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Chris/Fleep

Like setting it >= 200, then pressing Alt+Ctrl+G in the viewer to become
a "Grid God", or using the Robust command "set user level" to control
who may login to the grid?

-BlueWall

Re: User Levels - Configurable?

Fleep Tuque
Yes, I wondered if it was possible to configure those privileges since we may want to allow someone privs to take ownership of objects and force object permissions but NOT have permissions to claim land, for example.

Permissions were already complicated in Second Life, but I am having an even more difficult time managing all the various permutations in OpenSim.  I think I need to make myself some kind of cheat sheet that clarifies what actions are controlled by which permission in which system/setting/configuration area, because between Grid Gods, Estate Managers, Groups & Roles, and individual parcel settings, I'm going a bit crazy trying to figure out what overrides or controls what, and where each setting actually needs to be enabled or changed.

In opensim.ini:

- permissionmodule
- serverside_object_permissions
- allow_grid_gods flag, I'm still not entirely sure what that means, and for subsequent config below that, this sets the user level to 200 in the database for the region owner, region manager (I assume that means Estate Manager?), and parcel owner?
- simple_build_permissions flag
- Various group permission settings for OSSL functions

In the Viewer:

- Admin menu (God powers)
- Estate Managers, which I can't find any documentation about exactly what privileges an Estate Manager has in OpenSim, I'm making the assumption that it duplicates the behavior in Second Life, see http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Estate_Manager#Abilities
- Groups & Role permissions
- About Land options settings and permissions
- Object permissions

Did I forget any?

On 03/25/2014 12:10 PM, Fleep Tuque wrote:

> Yes, I wondered if it was possible to configure those privileges since
> we may want to allow someone privs to take ownership of objects and
> force object permissions but NOT have permissions to claim land, for
> example.

> Permissions were already complicated in Second Life, but I am having an
> even more difficult time managing all the various permutations in
> OpenSim.  I think I need to make myself some kind of cheat sheet that
> clarifies what actions are controlled by which permission in which
> system/setting/configuration area, because between Grid Gods, Estate
> Managers, Groups & Roles, and individual parcel settings, I'm going a
> bit crazy trying to figure out what overrides or controls what, and
> where each setting actually needs to be enabled or changed.
>
> In opensim.ini:
>
> - permissionmodule
> - serverside_object_permissions
> - allow_grid_gods flag, I'm still not entirely sure what that means, and
> for subsequent config below that, this sets the user level to 200 in the
> database for the region owner, region manager (I assume that means
> Estate Manager?), and parcel owner?
> - simple_build_permissions flag
> - Various group permission settings for OSSL functions
>
> In the Viewer:
>
> - Admin menu (God powers)
> - Estate Managers, which I can't find any documentation about exactly
> what privileges an Estate Manager has in OpenSim, I'm making the
> assumption that it duplicates the behavior in Second Life, see
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Estate_Manager#Abilities
> - Groups & Role permissions
> - About Land options settings and permissions
> - Object permissions
>
> Did I forget any?
>
> - Chris/Fleep

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/God_Mode gives some information about
how different user level settings affect the permissions.

-BlueWall

Re: User Levels - Configurable?

justincc
Hi Fleep.  Much of this stuff is also documented in the [Permissions] section of OpenSim.ini.example.  But I presume
you've read that and some of it is still unclear?

There's also a scratch info page at [1] which I very quickly removed the most out of date stuff.  But unfortunately it's
incomplete.

Also, afaik, only GOD_FULL from [2] is implemented in OpenSimulator afaik.  I don't see any issue in principle with
implementing GOD_LIKE, GOD_CUSTOMER_SERVICE or GOD_LIAISON though I don't know how one would active them from the viewer
(or perhaps these are only done via backend Linden systems).

[1] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Permissions_%28Server%29
[2] http://wiki.secondlife.com/__wiki/God_Mode

On 25/03/14 17:12, Fleep Tuque wrote:

> Thanks, BlueWall, that's helpful!
>
> - Chris/Fleep
>

> Chris M. Collins (Avatar: Fleep Tuque)
> Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
> UCIT Research & Development, Innovation & Partnerships
> UC Office of Information Technologies
> University of Cincinnati
> 400 University Hall
> PO Box 210658
> Cincinnati, OH 45221-0658
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> (513) 556-3018
>
> http://ucsim.uc.edu
>

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 12:36 PM, James Hughes <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 03/25/2014 12:10 PM, Fleep Tuque wrote:
>
>         Yes, I wondered if it was possible to configure those privileges since
>         we may want to allow someone privs to take ownership of objects and
>         force object permissions but NOT have permissions to claim land, for
>         example.

>         Permissions were already complicated in Second Life, but I am having an
>         even more difficult time managing all the various permutations in
>         OpenSim.  I think I need to make myself some kind of cheat sheet that
>         clarifies what actions are controlled by which permission in which
>         system/setting/configuration area, because between Grid Gods, Estate
>         Managers, Groups & Roles, and individual parcel settings, I'm going a
>         bit crazy trying to figure out what overrides or controls what, and
>         where each setting actually needs to be enabled or changed.
>
>         In opensim.ini:
>
>         - permissionmodule
>         - serverside_object_permissions
>         - allow_grid_gods flag, I'm still not entirely sure what that means, and
>         for subsequent config below that, this sets the user level to 200 in the
>         database for the region owner, region manager (I assume that means
>         Estate Manager?), and parcel owner?
>         - simple_build_permissions flag
>         - Various group permission settings for OSSL functions
>
>         In the Viewer:
>
>         - Admin menu (God powers)
>         - Estate Managers, which I can't find any documentation about exactly
>         what privileges an Estate Manager has in OpenSim, I'm making the
>         assumption that it duplicates the behavior in Second Life, see
>         http://wiki.secondlife.com/__wiki/Estate_Manager#Abilities
>         <http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Estate_Manager#Abilities>
>         - Groups & Role permissions
>         - About Land options settings and permissions
>         - Object permissions
>
>         Did I forget any?
>
>         - Chris/Fleep
>

>     http://wiki.secondlife.com/__wiki/God_Mode <http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/God_Mode> gives some information about
>     how different user level settings affect the permissions.
>

>     -BlueWall

OSVW Consulting

Re: User Levels - Configurable?

hzhenk
Dear Chris/Fleep
Did you find some answers on your questions yet? I am also struggling with those permissions. It is difficult to find good documentation
Henk
Henk Massink
Lecturer Civil Engineering at Hz University of Applied Sciences
Vlissingen, Netherlands