User interface for children using opensim

User interface for children using opensim

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello,
I recall some time back, on this list, there was mention of children
doing activities in opensim environments. I was wondering which
viewers were being used.
Were the viewers in basic mode? Are there Second Life viewers out
there that have a really minimal UI, if yes, which one? Is it possible
to reduce the
number of visible user interface elements simply by deleting entries
from xml files in the skinning directory for the Second Life viewer?
Last question, any recommendations for Opensim specific viewers that
may be leverage some of its strengths better?
p.s. please pardon the noobness of my questions, I am really very new
to opensim and was wondering if some of the new elements of opensim is
influencing
viewers that cater to its specific needs.
Regards
Ramesh

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate
Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
Blog, LinkedIn, DeepSemaphore LLC, Google+ profile

Re: User interface for children using opensim

Karen Palen
I cannot claim any extensive experience such as classroom use, but I
have set up a demo at a Sci-Fi convention using Erik N.'s Mars Sim
http://metatek.blogspot.com/2010/06/mars-simulation-for-distribution.html

It ran over a LAN with 5 simultaneous users. We used the Imprudence
viewer and had no problems at all with children aged as young as 7-8YO.
In fact these younger children were more "tech savy" than their parents,
in one case a young girl showed her parents how to run the simulation!

I have had family children use our private sim at home, but they are
hardly typical since they have all grown up in a computer oriented
environment with many relatives who are professionals in the computer
field. Again the Imprudence viewer has served well.

We now use David Seikel's Meta-Impy http://onefang.net/drupal/meta-impy
which is an enhanced version of the Imprudence viewer. David is now in
charge of the Imprudence development effort, so I expect that the two
versions will converge over time.

Both Meta-Impy and Imprudence are Opensim oriented and make no attempt
to maintain Second Life compatibility nor Linden Labs certification.

Our experience has been that the viewers present few problems, but
suitability of content for children can be a concern, especially in
Second Life even in supposedly "PG" areas.

Karen