Using FCDN in the Regions.ini...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Using FCDN in the Regions.ini...

John_silver

I hope this problem can be solved. I am owner of SIMVALLEY (http://www.simvalley.nl) and are running my grid behind a FW. Since I started SIMVALLEY more the 6 years ago I had always put the IP address in as ExternalHostName. I have seen more questions in the past about this but dont remember to see a solution.

I am running split DNS so it is for security reason more handy to use FCDN in the Regions.ini then IP addresses. Is it possible to implement in the next version the Full Qualified Domain Name instead of the IP address?

It will help a lot and makes running a grid behind a FireWall and Split DNS much more easier and confirm the way other services are used on the Internet.

With regards,

John

 

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Using FCDN in the Regions.ini...

Shaun T. Erickson-2
I have used an FQDN everywhere in Sanctuary's configuration, for many years now. Basically, the rule of thumb has been that you either have to use IP addresses everywhere, or use an FQDN everywhere, because OpenSim does string comparisons in places where you might expect an IP address to get resolved first, except that it doesn't. In other words, in a comparison, it will, for example, not consider 65.78.40.167 to be the same as sanctuary.homelinux.org, even though they are equivalent. 

I do not, however, do split DNS, so I can't speak to that. I do run my grid behind a firewall, with no issues, though. 

-ste

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 23, 2016, at 5:51 PM, silverj <[hidden email]> wrote:

I hope this problem can be solved. I am owner of SIMVALLEY (http://www.simvalley.nl) and are running my grid behind a FW. Since I started SIMVALLEY more the 6 years ago I had always put the IP address in as ExternalHostName. I have seen more questions in the past about this but dont remember to see a solution.

I am running split DNS so it is for security reason more handy to use FCDN in the Regions.ini then IP addresses. Is it possible to implement in the next version the Full Qualified Domain Name instead of the IP address?

It will help a lot and makes running a grid behind a FireWall and Split DNS much more easier and confirm the way other services are used on the Internet.

With regards,

John

 
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Using FCDN in the Regions.ini...

John_silver

Thanks STE,

But that didn't work. I used already FCDN in all configuration files. Only in Regions.ini I get an error message when I use FCDN. It only allow me to put in IP addresses...

John

 

 

Shaun T. Erickson schreef op 2016-02-24 00:04:

I have used an FQDN everywhere in Sanctuary's configuration, for many years now. Basically, the rule of thumb has been that you either have to use IP addresses everywhere, or use an FQDN everywhere, because OpenSim does string comparisons in places where you might expect an IP address to get resolved first, except that it doesn't. In other words, in a comparison, it will, for example, not consider 65.78.40.167 to be the same as sanctuary.homelinux.org, even though they are equivalent. 
 
I do not, however, do split DNS, so I can't speak to that. I do run my grid behind a firewall, with no issues, though. 
 
-ste

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 23, 2016, at 5:51 PM, silverj <[hidden email]> wrote:

I hope this problem can be solved. I am owner of SIMVALLEY (http://www.simvalley.nl) and are running my grid behind a FW. Since I started SIMVALLEY more the 6 years ago I had always put the IP address in as ExternalHostName. I have seen more questions in the past about this but dont remember to see a solution.

I am running split DNS so it is for security reason more handy to use FCDN in the Regions.ini then IP addresses. Is it possible to implement in the next version the Full Qualified Domain Name instead of the IP address?

It will help a lot and makes running a grid behind a FireWall and Split DNS much more easier and confirm the way other services are used on the Internet.

With regards,

John

 
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

 

 

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Using FCDN in the Regions.ini...

Shaun T. Erickson-2
BTW, you keep saying FCDN. The correct term is FQDN, for Fully Qualified Domain Name. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 24, 2016, at 11:16 AM, silverj <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks STE,

But that didn't work. I used already FCDN in all configuration files. Only in Regions.ini I get an error message when I use FCDN. It only allow me to put in IP addresses...

John

 

 

Shaun T. Erickson schreef op 2016-02-24 00:04:

I have used an FQDN everywhere in Sanctuary's configuration, for many years now. Basically, the rule of thumb has been that you either have to use IP addresses everywhere, or use an FQDN everywhere, because OpenSim does string comparisons in places where you might expect an IP address to get resolved first, except that it doesn't. In other words, in a comparison, it will, for example, not consider 65.78.40.167 to be the same as sanctuary.homelinux.org, even though they are equivalent. 
 
I do not, however, do split DNS, so I can't speak to that. I do run my grid behind a firewall, with no issues, though. 
 
-ste

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 23, 2016, at 5:51 PM, silverj <[hidden email]> wrote:

I hope this problem can be solved. I am owner of SIMVALLEY (http://www.simvalley.nl) and are running my grid behind a FW. Since I started SIMVALLEY more the 6 years ago I had always put the IP address in as ExternalHostName. I have seen more questions in the past about this but dont remember to see a solution.

I am running split DNS so it is for security reason more handy to use FCDN in the Regions.ini then IP addresses. Is it possible to implement in the next version the Full Qualified Domain Name instead of the IP address?

It will help a lot and makes running a grid behind a FireWall and Split DNS much more easier and confirm the way other services are used on the Internet.

With regards,

John

 
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

 

 

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Using FCDN in the Regions.ini...

Mister Blue
Looking at the code (Regions.ini is parsed in the source file RegionInfo.cs), 'InternalAddress' is parsed with "address = IPAddress.Parse(config.GetString("InternalAddress", String.Empty));" which means it expects a ipv4, three dot address for that parameter. 

'ExternalHostname', though, is kept as a string. When some module accesses 'RegionInfo.ExternalEndpoint', the code checks to see of the name is an ipv4 address and, if not, it calls 'Dns.GetHostAddresses()' which should look up the external hostname with DNS. The code throws an exception if it cannot resolve the DNS name.

Not sure how well the .NET Dns class works. Is it possible your hostname does not lookup on the system?

== mb

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Shaun T. Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
BTW, you keep saying FCDN. The correct term is FQDN, for Fully Qualified Domain Name. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 24, 2016, at 11:16 AM, silverj <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks STE,

But that didn't work. I used already FCDN in all configuration files. Only in Regions.ini I get an error message when I use FCDN. It only allow me to put in IP addresses...

John

 

 

Shaun T. Erickson schreef op 2016-02-24 00:04:

I have used an FQDN everywhere in Sanctuary's configuration, for many years now. Basically, the rule of thumb has been that you either have to use IP addresses everywhere, or use an FQDN everywhere, because OpenSim does string comparisons in places where you might expect an IP address to get resolved first, except that it doesn't. In other words, in a comparison, it will, for example, not consider 65.78.40.167 to be the same as sanctuary.homelinux.org, even though they are equivalent. 
 
I do not, however, do split DNS, so I can't speak to that. I do run my grid behind a firewall, with no issues, though. 
 
-ste

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 23, 2016, at 5:51 PM, silverj <[hidden email]> wrote:

I hope this problem can be solved. I am owner of SIMVALLEY (http://www.simvalley.nl) and are running my grid behind a FW. Since I started SIMVALLEY more the 6 years ago I had always put the IP address in as ExternalHostName. I have seen more questions in the past about this but dont remember to see a solution.

I am running split DNS so it is for security reason more handy to use FCDN in the Regions.ini then IP addresses. Is it possible to implement in the next version the Full Qualified Domain Name instead of the IP address?

It will help a lot and makes running a grid behind a FireWall and Split DNS much more easier and confirm the way other services are used on the Internet.

With regards,

John

 
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

 

 

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users



_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Using FCDN in the Regions.ini...

John_silver

Thanks Mister Blue!

I indeed noticed that the InternalAddress ONLY accept IP addresses. I can live with that. But I think the use of FQDN is more handy specially when your running in a big network and like to use backup servers that in case of emergency a fast switch by changing DNS traffic can be rotated more quickly to an other server. It is a common setup that is used frequently.

My problem is the ExternalHostname parameter. I try to use FQDN there but it didn't work. I try to resolve the FQDN and the reverse IP address with DIG and that worked well. I run the latest stable opensim version on Ubuntu. If you say it should work then it must be something else. I assume that 'Dns.GetHostAddresses() is looking at the /etc/Resolv.conf?

John

 

Mister Blue schreef op 2016-02-25 04:05:

Looking at the code (Regions.ini is parsed in the source file RegionInfo.cs), 'InternalAddress' is parsed with "address = IPAddress.Parse(config.GetString("InternalAddress", String.Empty));" which means it expects a ipv4, three dot address for that parameter. 
 
'ExternalHostname', though, is kept as a string. When some module accesses 'RegionInfo.ExternalEndpoint', the code checks to see of the name is an ipv4 address and, if not, it calls 'Dns.GetHostAddresses()' which should look up the external hostname with DNS. The code throws an exception if it cannot resolve the DNS name.
 
Not sure how well the .NET Dns class works. Is it possible your hostname does not lookup on the system?
 
== mb

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Shaun T. Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
BTW, you keep saying FCDN. The correct term is FQDN, for Fully Qualified Domain Name. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 24, 2016, at 11:16 AM, silverj <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks STE,

But that didn't work. I used already FCDN in all configuration files. Only in Regions.ini I get an error message when I use FCDN. It only allow me to put in IP addresses...

John

 

 

Shaun T. Erickson schreef op 2016-02-24 00:04:

I have used an FQDN everywhere in Sanctuary's configuration, for many years now. Basically, the rule of thumb has been that you either have to use IP addresses everywhere, or use an FQDN everywhere, because OpenSim does string comparisons in places where you might expect an IP address to get resolved first, except that it doesn't. In other words, in a comparison, it will, for example, not consider 65.78.40.167 to be the same as sanctuary.homelinux.org, even though they are equivalent. 
 
I do not, however, do split DNS, so I can't speak to that. I do run my grid behind a firewall, with no issues, though. 
 
-ste

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 23, 2016, at 5:51 PM, silverj <[hidden email]> wrote:

I hope this problem can be solved. I am owner of SIMVALLEY (http://www.simvalley.nl) and are running my grid behind a FW. Since I started SIMVALLEY more the 6 years ago I had always put the IP address in as ExternalHostName. I have seen more questions in the past about this but dont remember to see a solution.

I am running split DNS so it is for security reason more handy to use FCDN in the Regions.ini then IP addresses. Is it possible to implement in the next version the Full Qualified Domain Name instead of the IP address?

It will help a lot and makes running a grid behind a FireWall and Split DNS much more easier and confirm the way other services are used on the Internet.

With regards,

John

 
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

 

 

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users


_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

 

 

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Loading...