Varregion works :) but physics need update ...

12

Re: Varregion works :) but physics need update ...

André Verwijs
R.Gunther schreef op 19-8-2014 om 22:12:
> Nevr, and not sure how many people i need to tell it.
> Never change anything in opensimdefault.ini.  but copy the setting over
> to opensim.ini

Why not, there are specific settings within opensim.ini and
OpenSimDefault.ini. works very nice (i think) keeping thing separate,
especially when there are source code changes that effects opensim.ini
and OpenSimDefault.ini.

Re: Varregion works :) but physics need update ...

R.Gunther
Why ? because opensimdefault.ini can be changed. and opensim.ini is not
getting overwritten default by other.
Depends maby on the packadge you use.

On 2014-08-19 22:25, André Verwijs wrote:

> R.Gunther schreef op 19-8-2014 om 22:12:
>> Nevr, and not sure how many people i need to tell it.
>> Never change anything in opensimdefault.ini.  but copy the setting over
>> to opensim.ini
>
> Why not, there are specific settings within opensim.ini and
> OpenSimDefault.ini. works very nice (i think) keeping thing separate,
> especially when there are source code changes that effects opensim.ini
> and OpenSimDefault.ini.

Re: Varregion works :) but physics need update ...

Han Held

On 08/19/2014 12:25 PM, André Verwijs wrote:
> R.Gunther schreef op 19-8-2014 om 22:12:
>> Nevr, and not sure how many people i need to tell it.
>> Never change anything in opensimdefault.ini.  but copy the setting over
>> to opensim.ini
>
> Why not,

Because OpenSimDefault.ini will get nuked when you upgrade your opensim
version; Opensim.ini won't.

Re: Varregion works :) but physics need update ...

Opensimfan

R.Gunther schreef op 19-8-2014 om 22:31:
> Why ? because opensimdefault.ini can be changed. and opensim.ini is not
> getting overwritten default by other.
> Depends maby on the packadge you use.

true, i always keep a backup so i don't lose anything...  :)
OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: Varregion works :) but physics need update ...

tringate
Isn't this dependent on your specific distribution of opensim?
My understanding is that opensim first loads opensimdefault.ini, then loads
opensim.ini, then loads grid.ini, and then loads gridcommon.ini

There is nothing wrong with the same parameter being defined in every one of
those files, and each can have a different setting.  The one that will be in
effect is the last one loaded.

So, lets say there is a parameter of:
"PARM1  = never" in opensimdefault.ini
"PARM1  = occasionally" in opensim.ini
"PARM1  = somtimes" in grid.ini
"PARM1  = always" in gridcommon.ini

The final setting of PARM1 will be "always" since that is the last value it
was set to.

It makes sense to put your modifications into the last file loaded to make
sure some other file does not change it on you.
You could add an include of your special modification to gridcommon.ini and
call it mychanges.ini and put that file in some directory totally safe from
updates.
Just remember the includes position in the file is where you statements will
reside.  In the setting a values make sure the same parameter is not set
after your include.
For me I put all my modifications at the end of gridcommon.ini

I could be all wet, but this has worked for me ever since I started doing
programming.  I doubt opensim uses any values until after it finishes

R.Gunther schreef op 19-8-2014 om 22:31:
> Why ? because opensimdefault.ini can be changed. and opensim.ini is not
> getting overwritten default by other.
> Depends maby on the packadge you use.

true, i always keep a backup so i don't lose anything...  :)

Re: Varregion works :) but physics need update ...

justincc
This is the case.  We say not to change things directly in OpenSimDefaults.ini because that can change between releases,
sometimes changing parameters to make OpenSimulator work better or resolve other issues.  Hence, it's safer to override
things in OpenSim.ini.  There are a few more details about this at [1].

[1] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Configuring_Simulator_Parameters#Changing_Simulator_Settings

On 19/08/14 22:13, Thomas Ringate wrote:

> Isn't this dependent on your specific distribution of opensim?
> My understanding is that opensim first loads opensimdefault.ini, then loads opensim.ini, then loads grid.ini, and then
> loads gridcommon.ini
>
> There is nothing wrong with the same parameter being defined in every one of those files, and each can have a different
> setting.  The one that will be in effect is the last one loaded.
>
> So, lets say there is a parameter of:
> "PARM1  = never" in opensimdefault.ini
> "PARM1  = occasionally" in opensim.ini
> "PARM1  = somtimes" in grid.ini
> "PARM1  = always" in gridcommon.ini
>
> The final setting of PARM1 will be "always" since that is the last value it was set to.
>
> It makes sense to put your modifications into the last file loaded to make sure some other file does not change it on you.
> You could add an include of your special modification to gridcommon.ini and call it mychanges.ini and put that file in
> some directory totally safe from updates.
> Just remember the includes position in the file is where you statements will reside.  In the setting a values make sure
> the same parameter is not set after your include.
> For me I put all my modifications at the end of gridcommon.ini
>
> I could be all wet, but this has worked for me ever since I started doing programming.  I doubt opensim uses any values
> until after it finishes loading them .
>

> -----Original Message----- From: Andre Verwijs
> Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 4:54 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Varregion works :) but physics need update ...
>

> R.Gunther schreef op 19-8-2014 om 22:31:
>> Why ? because opensimdefault.ini can be changed. and opensim.ini is not
>> getting overwritten default by other.
>> Depends maby on the packadge you use.
>

> true, i always keep a backup so i don't lose anything...  :)

OSVW Consulting

Re: Varregion works :) but physics need update ...

Mister Blue
Since OpenSim.ini and OpenSimDefaults.ini change over time (in sometimes useful ways), I copy the released versions of the files into my simulator run directories unchanged. That way I can get the latest update with minimal editing and merging.

OpenSimulator, by default, reads all INI files in the "bin/config" directory. So, I create a file "bin/config/me.ini" that I fill with all the changes I want to overlay what is in OpenSim.ini and OpenSimDefaults.ini. That also keeps all my changes separate and easily findable. As noted above, OpenSimDefaults.ini and OpenSim.ini are read first so any values in other INI files replace the values in those files.

As a side note, I also create a file "bin/config/OpenSimAllows.ini" (available at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86260377/OpenSimAllows.ini) which controls the access to all the 'os' functions. (Insert rant about wanting OpenSim functions on all the time and one should have to do something to restrict them if you want SL compatibility).

Op 20-08-14 om 15:46 schreef Mister Blue:

> Since OpenSim.ini and OpenSimDefaults.ini change over time (in sometimes
> useful ways), I copy the released versions of the files into my
> simulator run directories unchanged. That way I can get the latest
> update with minimal editing and merging.
>
> OpenSimulator, by default, reads all INI files in the "bin/config"
> directory. So, I create a file "bin/config/me.ini" that I fill with all
> the changes I want to overlay what is in OpenSim.ini and
> OpenSimDefaults.ini. That also keeps all my changes separate and easily
> findable. As noted above, OpenSimDefaults.ini and OpenSim.ini are read
> first so any values in other INI files replace the values in those files.
>
> As a side note, I also create a file "bin/config/OpenSimAllows.ini"
> (available at
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86260377/OpenSimAllows.ini) which
> controls the access to all the 'os' functions. (Insert rant about
> wanting OpenSim functions on all the time and one should have to do
> something to restrict them if you want SL compatibility).

thanks for reply :)

and where do you add me.ini and OpenSimAllows.ini to make opensim
load/read it?

i see i need to add the most changes to opensim.ini witch is easier with
upgrading... i alway thought both were changing with every git master
update, depending on the source code change. (opensim core functions
within opensim.ini and miscellaneous functions within opensimdefault.ini)

but justin gave me a link with this subject, so i can do some studying
:)  never to old to learn :)

..

André Verwijs - Google+

Op 20-08-14 om 00:45 schreef justincc [via opensim-users]:
> This is the case.  We say not to change things directly in
> OpenSimDefaults.ini because that can change between releases,
> sometimes changing parameters to make OpenSimulator work better or
> resolve other issues.  Hence, it's safer to override
> things in OpenSim.ini.  There are a few more details about this at [1].
>
> [1]
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Configuring_Simulator_Parameters#Changing_Simulator_Settings

THANK YOU :) for the link i can do some studying, never to old to learn...

..
OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

IAR Import question

tringate
I have noticed if I import the same IAR file into my standalone more than
once, my inventory ends up having multiple entries for the same object.  The
number of entries for an object is identical to the number of times I import
the IAR file.

My question is if these multiple entries in my inventory all point to the
same object, or if each time I import an IAR file it generates a totally new
asset for each item in the IAR, resulting in a bloated asses table and truly
does duplicate everything?

How does the asset server actually keep track of an object?  Does it use
it's original UUID as the key to know it is a duplicate of something already
in the asset table?  I understand if you modify or change anything in an
asset it becomes a totally new asset and of course that would result in a
new entry in the table.

Tom

Re: IAR Import question

M.E. Verhagen
iar import will create new assets with new uuid's

since uuid's will need to be unique it is not possible to reuse uuid's cause different grid could give objects the same uuid.

Re: IAR Import question

tringate
That makes sense.  That means each time you import an IAR you are adding more items to your asset database.  I assume once an object is in the database it is there forever.  Deleting it from you inventory does not remove it from the asset database only from my inventory I understand.  On a private standalone  it sounds like it would be a good idea to drop you database and start over rather then keep loading IARs of your inventory from OSgrid.

It is a pain to delete the duplicates in inventory but the simple way I was using was to delete everything in inventory and then load the new IAR.

That make it appear like I don’t have much but in fact I guess every time I do that my asset database grows in size by some 12,000 items.

Tom

Sent: Sunday, September 14, 2014 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] IAR Import question

iar import will create new assets with new uuid's

since uuid's will need to be unique it is not possible to reuse uuid's cause different grid could give objects the same uuid.

Re: IAR Import question

justincc
This isn't correct.  Currently, if an OAR or IAR is loaded and it references asset IDs which already exist, then these
will be used and assets will not be loaded again.

On 15/09/14 04:32, Thomas Ringate wrote:

> That makes sense.  That means each time you import an IAR you are adding more items to your asset database.  I assume
> once an object is in the database it is there forever.  Deleting it from you inventory does not remove it from the asset
> database only from my inventory I understand.  On a private standalone  it sounds like it would be a good idea to drop
> you database and start over rather then keep loading IARs of your inventory from OSgrid.
> It is a pain to delete the duplicates in inventory but the simple way I was using was to delete everything in inventory
> and then load the new IAR.
> That make it appear like I don’t have much but in fact I guess every time I do that my asset database grows in size by
> some 12,000 items.
> Tom

OSVW Consulting

Re: IAR Import question

M.E. Verhagen
tnx for correcting Justin

Re: IAR Import question

tringate
Justin,

Thanks for the clarification.  I hoped it worked like you have stated, but
previous answers said every asset was assigned a new UUID because it would
be possible to duplicate UUID's between different servers.

This makes me wonder if with the current problem of OSgrid if they had
simply brought up a new empty asset server and requested everyone upload any
IAR's they had old, new whatever that it would go a long way in repopulating
the lost data.  I assume that if I have an asset in my inventory and say
several hundred other users have the same item that if I replaced it, it
would be there for everyone.  I suspect your inventory itself is a record on
the asset server so I guess if that record is lost then you basically have
no inventory even if everything you previously had was on the asset server.
It appears to be a no win situation.  I am very fortunate because I have an
IAR of my inventory made just hours before the grid went offline.  My
understanding of your statement is that it will not do any harm for me to
upload my IAR back to OSgrid when it comes back as it will not add more data
that may already be present.

I still do not understand why when I upload the same IAR to my standalone it
duplicates everything in my inventory with another identical entry for the
same item.  If it finds the same item already in inventory and the asset
server why does it make a redundant inventory entry?  Since it is the same
asset being loaded twice it has to be identical since the IAR is the same
IAR.  If I upload the same IAR 5 times I end up with five of everything in
my inventory.  As a test I uploaded my 12,000 item inventory five times and
my inventory ended up being 60,000 objects in inventory.

Yes, I always use the -merge option.

Tom

This isn't correct.  Currently, if an OAR or IAR is loaded and it references
asset IDs which already exist, then these
will be used and assets will not be loaded again.

On 15/09/14 04:32, Thomas Ringate wrote:

> That makes sense.  That means each time you import an IAR you are adding
> more items to your asset database.  I assume
> once an object is in the database it is there forever.  Deleting it from
> you inventory does not remove it from the asset
> database only from my inventory I understand.  On a private standalone  it
> sounds like it would be a good idea to drop
> you database and start over rather then keep loading IARs of your
> inventory from OSgrid.
> It is a pain to delete the duplicates in inventory but the simple way I
> was using was to delete everything in inventory
> and then load the new IAR.
> That make it appear like I don’t have much but in fact I guess every time
> I do that my asset database grows in size by
> some 12,000 items.
> Tom

OSVW Consulting

Re: IAR Import question

justincc
The --merge function just refers to folders, not inventory items.

In the first instance, this is because it's perfectly okay to have multiple copies of the same item in the same folder
in SL inventory.  So you can't assume that an item which already exists is a dupe.

Possibly something could be done not to duplicate item entries but it's not straightforward because inventory items do
get a new ID on upload.

I believe there are also issues where assets sometimes are duplicated and the same ID is not reused.  With a
deduplicating asset service (SRAS or XAssets in the future) this isn't an issue but you still need to have the lists
which link a given arbitrary asset ID to a single existing asset ID.

OSVW Consulting
12