Very Unofficial OpenSim London Meetup

12

Very Unofficial OpenSim London Meetup

justincc
Hi folks,

Darren Guard (founder of OpenSim, TribalMedia and developer for Rezzable), Chris Hart (CTO of
ReactionGrid) and myself, Justin Clark-Casey (OpenSim core developer, freelancer, ex-IBM and Black
Dress developer, notorious killjoy) recently began to talk about having a face-to-face mini OpenSim
meetup.

Since we're all in the UK (at the moment) we're going to meet in London at a pub called "The Jugged
Hare" near Victoria station.

172 Vauxhall Bridge Road
Victoria, SW1V 1DX
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=the+jugged+hare%2C+london

on Sunday 31st January 2010 between 12:30pm and 5:30pm.

Rather than just do this by ourselves, we thought it would be very cool to open the invitation up to
everybody, especially as it's more or less coincidental with OpenSim's 3rd birthday!

This is going to be a very informal event - there won't be any banners or formal presentations.
It's really just a bunch of us sitting around talking about OpenSim and virtual worlds.  Oh, and
we'll be having a few beers too :)

So if you're interested or involved with OpenSim (or even other virtual worlds/environments) in any
way and want to come along we would be very pleased to see you!  Just show up any time between
12:30pm and 5:30pm or if you want us to look out for you, just tell us that you're coming (by
e-mail, blog post comment or any other way you like).  I'm sure we'll be tweeting on the day too.

Until then, all the best!

Re: Very Unofficial OpenSim London Meetup

Marcus Alexander Link
Sounds like a start,

I can't make it this time to the UK, but if someone is interested in a regularly meetup in the Rhein-Main Area (particularly Frankfurt),
it would be my pleasure to gather here (Frankfurt/Germany).

A vibrant community is what we need to pursue
and advance the possibilites for virtual world and application developers
which OpenSim / Second Life technology offers.

It is also important to share
experience and knowledge how other developers are using or plan to use OpenSimulator.
For instance, we plan to use OpenSim with Android (OS) on a Touch Tablet in the near future.

If anyone is interested in a meetup here in Frankfurt, just contact me.

Best Regards,

Marcus

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Kevin Buckley
Hi Justin - Sounds like a great opportunity.  A couple of us are hoping to
come along.

How do we recognise you?  Presumably you will be the ones who look slightly
tilted, clothes noticeably pixelated at 512x512 and sitting around the table
at the back, with your feet slightly sunken into the floor  :~)

Kevin

Re: Very Unofficial OpenSim London Meetup

Chris Hart
Lol - too many beers and there may be tilted capsules indeed. We could
all wear plywood box badges - I suspect making full-size prim hair would
be quite an undertaking.

There are a few mugshots around of at least Justin and myself, head to
http://twitter.com/justincc and http://twitter.com/dstrawberrygirl if
you must.

Should be fun :)

Chris

Re: Very Unofficial OpenSim London Meetup

Olli Aro
Administrator
This sounds great. Looking forward meeting you all there.

Regards,

Olli Aro
CTO
www.secondplaces.net
www.thecontentgrid.com

Jane Foxclaw
Oh man.. this sucks. I would really liked to have been there. But i'm way out here in sux-ville USA.. lol

Sonya

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Olli Aro <[hidden email]> wrote:
This sounds great. Looking forward meeting you all there.

Regards,

Olli Aro
CTO
www.secondplaces.net
www.thecontentgrid.com

vivox account?

Jeroen van Veen
Does anyone know the procedure how to get a vivox account? I tried to mail
them at [hidden email], but no-one ever responds. I figured it would be quite
easy to get an account, since there is a vivox module in opensim. Any help
would be appreciated.

kind regards,

Jeroen

Re: vivox account?

David Simmons-2
I think I got my vivox account when I signed up for multiverse. Not
sure if you can get it from vivox directly.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Jeroen van Veen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does anyone know the procedure how to get a vivox account? I tried to mail
> them at [hidden email], but no-one ever responds. I figured it would be quite
> easy to get an account, since there is a vivox module in opensim. Any help
> would be appreciated.
>
> kind regards,
>
> Jeroen

“The greatest danger in modern technology isn't that machines will
begin to think like people, but that people will begin to think like
machines” Unknown

Re: vivox account?

Jane Foxclaw
888-28-VIVOX or 508-650-3571

Those two are their phone numbers to get ahold of them.

Sonya

Jane Foxclaw wrote:
> Oh man.. this sucks. I would really liked to have been there. But i'm
> way out here in sux-ville USA.. lol

We do seem to have something of a cluster of OpenSim users in the UK, Sonya.  I guess being on a
relatively small(ish) island helps with a meetup (though it's cool to see some other people
announcing their own local meets too).

Also, look forward to see you there Olli.  It looks like there are quite a few people coming along
judging from the response on this list, on Twitter and from a few private communications (Chris and
Darren may have had a few direct responses too).

Justin

> Sonya
>
> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Olli Aro <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     This sounds great. Looking forward meeting you all there.
>
>     Regards,
>
>     Olli Aro
>     CTO
>     www.secondplaces.net <http://www.secondplaces.net>
>     www.thecontentgrid.com <http://www.thecontentgrid.com>

Frisby, Adam

Just a note, they do not officially support OpenSim yet (*nudge nudge if they read this*), so you might not have a horrible amount of luck unless you are willing to spend big.

Regards,

Adam

Re: Very Unofficial OpenSim London Meetup

Frisby, Adam
I'd be curious to know if there are any down in my neck of the woods (Sydney, Australia), I'm always up for an opportunity to go bar hopping for a few hours in the name of work. ;)

Adam

Eade, Janette
Hi Adam,

Yes, I'm in Sydney. I work part-time at Macquarie University in a team of 3 and we have OpenSim on our own server within the Education Department's portal. We are conducting pilots with high school students at the moment on building, creating sculptures etc., but haven't as yet done any scripting.

Wher are you?

Cheers,
Jan Eade
Macquarie ICT Innovations Centre
http://www.macict.edu.au/
Building C5B Macquarie University
I'd be curious to know if there are any down in my neck of the woods (Sydney, Australia), I'm always up for an opportunity to go bar hopping for a few hours in the name of work. ;)

Adam

Re: vivox account?

Jeroen van Veen
Isn't this something that should live on the forge then, instead of dwelling
somewhere in the OpenSim.ini as a proprietary solution?

Jeroen

Op maandag 18 januari 2010 23:39:01 schreef Frisby, Adam:

> Just a note, they do not officially support OpenSim yet (*nudge nudge if
>  they read this*), so you might not have a horrible amount of luck unless
>  you are willing to spend big.
>
> Regards,
>
> Adam

Zane Legion
Count me in Adam!
I'm on the north shore, but can meet up anywhere.

-Zane
> Yes, I'm in Sydney. I work part-time at Macquarie University in a team of
> 3 and we have OpenSim on our own server within the Education Department's
> portal. We are conducting pilots with high school students at the moment
> on building, creating sculptures etc., but haven't as yet done any
> scripting.
>
> Wher are you?
>
> Cheers,
> Jan Eade
> Macquarie ICT Innovations Centre
> http://www.macict.edu.au/
> Building C5B Macquarie University
> Tel: 02 9850 4310

Virtual World Currency gets more complicated

Karen_Palen
This is from today's slashdot.org

I know many OpenSim users are planning to set up soem form of currency exchange on their grids. THis si one of the aspects that needs to be considered before "going live".

Karen

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/01/19/1653240/Virtual-Currency-Becomes-Real-In-South-Korea

 Virtual Currency Becomes Real In South Korea on Tuesday January 19, @01:29PM
Posted by Soulskill on Tuesday January 19, @01:29PM
from the license-to-print-money dept.
money
garylian writes "Massively is reporting that the South Korean Supreme Court has stated that virtual currency is the equivalent of real-world money. For those of you who might not be drawing the link, the core there is that selling in-game currency for real money is essentially just an exchange of currency and perfectly legal in South Korea. This could have sweeping implications for RMT operations the world over, not to mention free-to-play games and... well, online games in general. The official story is available online from JoongAng Daily."

Re: Virtual World Currency gets more complicated

lamont cranston
if the currency is real, then you need to be cautious.
The tax man is watching.

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Jane Foxclaw <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")