Viewers on Ubuntu

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Viewers on Ubuntu

Timeka Cobb
Hello folks!

Got my world ready to go within my VPS but is having hell of a time getting
a viewer installed. It seems as if none of them works in a linux platform
๐Ÿ˜•. Do anyone have some advice on what I should do? I'm trying to stay with
my Ubuntu vps but it seems that I may have to pay more for a Windows. Fyi
my web host is 1 and 1. I appreciate any help I can get๐Ÿ’–

Peace,
Timeka Cobb
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Viewers on Ubuntu

Ethan Gardener
On Sat, Dec 29, 2018, at 3:46 AM, Timeka Cobb wrote:
> Hello folks!
>
> Got my world ready to go within my VPS but is having hell of a time getting
> a viewer installed. It seems as if none of them works in a linux platform
> ๐Ÿ˜•. Do anyone have some advice on what I should do? I'm trying to stay with
> my Ubuntu vps but it seems that I may have to pay more for a Windows. Fyi
> my web host is 1 and 1. I appreciate any help I can get๐Ÿ’–

I don't think any viewer would run on a VPS, it wouldn't have the graphical power a viewer needs.  I think a text-based viewer would work, but I've never used one.
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Viewers on Ubuntu

Timeka Cobb
I agree with you Sir @Ethan! I think I'm going to try and install on
localhost the viewer and see if it connects with my world on vps. Thank you
so very much๐Ÿ’™

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018, 4:18 AM Ethan Gardener <[hidden email] wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 29, 2018, at 3:46 AM, Timeka Cobb wrote:
> > Hello folks!
> >
> > Got my world ready to go within my VPS but is having hell of a time
> getting
> > a viewer installed. It seems as if none of them works in a linux platform
> > ๐Ÿ˜•. Do anyone have some advice on what I should do? I'm trying to stay
> with
> > my Ubuntu vps but it seems that I may have to pay more for a Windows. Fyi
> > my web host is 1 and 1. I appreciate any help I can get๐Ÿ’–
>
> I don't think any viewer would run on a VPS, it wouldn't have the
> graphical power a viewer needs.  I think a text-based viewer would work,
> but I've never used one.
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
>
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Viewers on Ubuntu

Fred Hendrickson
In reply to this post by Timeka Cobb
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 22:46:50 -0500
> From: Timeka Cobb <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Opensim-users] Viewers on Ubuntu
> Message-ID:
>         <
> [hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>
> Hello folks!
>
> Got my world ready to go within my VPS but is having hell of a time getting
> a viewer installed. It seems as if none of them works in a linux platform
> ?. Do anyone have some advice on what I should do? I'm trying to stay with
> my Ubuntu vps but it seems that I may have to pay more for a Windows. Fyi
> my web host is 1 and 1. I appreciate any help I can get?
>
> Peace,
> Timeka Cobb
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
>
In general servers, whether it is a shared server, Virtual Private Server
(VPS), or a dedicated server do not come with a graphics card installed.
Therefore you wouldn't be able to run a viewer on a VPS or dedicated or
even a shared server through any hosting provider unless they had a
graphics card installed on the server box itself.

The best way to log into your grid would be to run your grid on the server
and make sure the server's external IP address or a Fully Qualified Domain
Name (FQDN) is configured in the ini files.  Then add the grid loginurl to
your viewer's grids list on your local desktop or laptop and log in.
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Viewers on Ubuntu

Timeka Cobb
Super Sir @Fred..will try that out..Thanks a bunches๐Ÿ’—

On Sat, Dec 29, 2018, 10:31 AM Fred Hendrickson <[hidden email]
wrote:

> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 22:46:50 -0500
> > From: Timeka Cobb <[hidden email]>
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Subject: [Opensim-users] Viewers on Ubuntu
> > Message-ID:
> >         <
> > [hidden email]>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> >
> > Hello folks!
> >
> > Got my world ready to go within my VPS but is having hell of a time
> getting
> > a viewer installed. It seems as if none of them works in a linux platform
> > ?. Do anyone have some advice on what I should do? I'm trying to stay
> with
> > my Ubuntu vps but it seems that I may have to pay more for a Windows. Fyi
> > my web host is 1 and 1. I appreciate any help I can get?
> >
> > Peace,
> > Timeka Cobb
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> >
> In general servers, whether it is a shared server, Virtual Private Server
> (VPS), or a dedicated server do not come with a graphics card installed.
> Therefore you wouldn't be able to run a viewer on a VPS or dedicated or
> even a shared server through any hosting provider unless they had a
> graphics card installed on the server box itself.
>
> The best way to log into your grid would be to run your grid on the server
> and make sure the server's external IP address or a Fully Qualified Domain
> Name (FQDN) is configured in the ini files.  Then add the grid loginurl to
> your viewer's grids list on your local desktop or laptop and log in.
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
>
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users