Voice Installation Class

12

Voice Installation Class

Robert Klein
Is there anyone who would be willing to volunteer to teach a class on how to get voice running? Is there anyone even interested in wanting to use voice on their regions? There is not really any complete and easy to understand information on step by step Voice for Dummies.

-Robert

Re: Voice Installation Class

Olli Aro
Administrator
Yeah we use it all the time. The first time around we worked it out from the
OpenSim freeswitch wiki page. I thought that was good documentation on how
to get things working.

Where are you hitting the brick wall at the moment?

Regards,

Olli

The installation of Freeswitch on Ubuntu Jaunty was horribly convoluted and when I ran it up it dumps me to a console and I have no idea if it is even set up correctly. No errors are listed. Compiling Freeswitch is insane. Then I made the changes to OpenSim.ini which are pretty straight forward, ran OpenSim.exe and voice stays ghosted out on the Land/Media settings. I seriously have no idea where the failure point would even begin to be. I need this functionality for teaching students so I am determined to get it working. Is there a minimum version of OpenSim you need to have to run Freeswitch?

-Robert

Olli Aro wrote
Yeah we use it all the time. The first time around we worked it out from the
OpenSim freeswitch wiki page. I thought that was good documentation on how
to get things working.

Where are you hitting the brick wall at the moment?

Regards,

Olli

Daniel Whitely
Hi Robert,

a few months ago, I had the same problem. I got to know about the
freeswitch module and the possibility to use it within opensim and
didn't know how to install it since I get the tutorial from
http://www.opensim.de/. I know that its written in german language and
might be a little bit difficult to understand but when you follow these
steps shown under configuration/freeswitch on opensim.de it should be no
problem to get freeswitch working on Ubuntu. I tried it on myself and
everything works fine. So give it a try and dont't forget to configure
your ports in your firewall as shown in the tables within that tutorial.
For me I can use voice within my intranet, but there are some problems
to reach the freeswitch server from the internet. I think that the
SIP-port 5060 and 5080 might be the problem since they do not open
although there are set within my firewall. If there is anybody who had
the same problem and found an appropriate solution I would be glad to
hear about this.

greetings
Daniel

Robert Klein schrieb:

> The installation of Freeswitch on Ubuntu Jaunty was horribly convoluted and
> when I ran it up it dumps me to a console and I have no idea if it is even
> set up correctly. No errors are listed. Compiling Freeswitch is insane. Then
> I made the changes to OpenSim.ini which are pretty straight forward, ran
> OpenSim.exe and voice stays ghosted out on the Land/Media settings. I
> seriously have no idea where the failure point would even begin to be. I
> need this functionality for teaching students so I am determined to get it
> working. Is there a minimum version of OpenSim you need to have to run
> Freeswitch?
>
> -Robert
>

> Olli Aro wrote:
>
>> Yeah we use it all the time. The first time around we worked it out from
>> the
>> OpenSim freeswitch wiki page. I thought that was good documentation on how
>> to get things working.
>>
>> Where are you hitting the brick wall at the moment?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Olli

Hey Daniel,

The web site you have listed will not come up for me. I am running all the servers internally so there are no issues with a firewall getting in the way (I hope). I am running OpenSim version 0.6.2 8241. Is this too old? I stopped at this version since it is extremely stable for me and the physics are solid.

-Robert

Daniel Whitely wrote

Robert Klein schrieb:
> The installation of Freeswitch on Ubuntu Jaunty was horribly convoluted and
> when I ran it up it dumps me to a console and I have no idea if it is even
> set up correctly. No errors are listed. Compiling Freeswitch is insane. Then
> I made the changes to OpenSim.ini which are pretty straight forward, ran
> OpenSim.exe and voice stays ghosted out on the Land/Media settings. I
> seriously have no idea where the failure point would even begin to be. I
> need this functionality for teaching students so I am determined to get it
> working. Is there a minimum version of OpenSim you need to have to run
> Freeswitch?
>
> -Robert
>

> Olli Aro wrote:
>
>> Yeah we use it all the time. The first time around we worked it out from
>> the
>> OpenSim freeswitch wiki page. I thought that was good documentation on how
>> to get things working.
>>
>> Where are you hitting the brick wall at the moment?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Olli

I suppose it might be versions issue. I have only used voice from 0.6.5
onwards. Maybe you want to install an empty world quickly with the latest
version and see if you can get that working?

Regards,

Olli

P.S. We do use windows and precompiled distribution of freeswitch, so
obviously the setup might be more complicated for Linux and I would not
know...

Ai Austin
At 02:56 08/10/2009, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

>The installation of Freeswitch on Ubuntu Jaunty was horribly convoluted and
>when I ran it up it dumps me to a console and I have no idea if it is even
>set up correctly. No errors are listed. Compiling Freeswitch is insane. Then
>I made the changes to OpenSim.ini which are pretty straight forward, ran
>OpenSim.exe and voice stays ghosted out on the Land/Media settings.

We have the same experience.  We are on Windows Vista... with
UGR(AI)M setup on 0.6.6 svn 9993 and have the Freeswitch software
running on its own server (also Windows Vista).  We can see logs of
connections to Freeswitch for the one (?) region that seems to be being served.

But the plot/area has the voice icon present but greyed out even
though we believe we have all set up and all ticked for it to work.

We do plan to try again, so if someone has (or is willing to mail
here or add  to the wiki) the idiot instruction set they would like
to see checked, we would be guinea pigs.

Re: Voice Installation Class

Olli Aro
Administrator
Login using Second Life client version 1.22.

Check the following points:

    * That voice is allowed for the estate
    * That the land media tab has the private spatial channel option
selected
    * That the voice chat is enabled in your preferences.

The second setting under the land settings is missing from the newer SL
clients, hence the need to use the old version in order to activate the
option.

Regards,

Olli

At 11:00 08/10/2009, Olli Aro" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Login using Second Life client version 1.22.
>
>Check the following points:
>
>     * That voice is allowed for the estate
>     * That the land media tab has the private spatial channel option
>selected
>     * That the voice chat is enabled in your preferences.
>
>The second setting under the land settings is missing from the newer SL
>clients, hence the need to use the old version in order to activate the
>option.

That sounds like it could be the problem... it would be good to work
out a way to set this correctly even with later viewers.  Or maybe
have the Freeswitch module for Opensim set this itself?

Old versions of viewers are available at
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Old_versions

Re: Voice Installation Class

Olli Aro
Administrator
Yeah I did have a quick look around the database in order to figure out
everything it configures, but did not have time to devote for this properly,
so for time being we just use the old version of the client. But I am sure
not that difficult to figure out what you need to change in the database in
order to achieve the same effect...

Olli

I will try using several other versions of OpenSim to see if that helps. On my current install I get the following message when I run OpenSim:
2009-10-07 10:35:43,411 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.Environment.ModuleLoader [MODULES]:    [AsteriskVoiceModule]: Initializing.
2009-10-07 10:35:43,411 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.Environment.Modules.Avatar.Voice.AsterixVoice.AsteriskVoiceModule [ASTERISKVOI
CE] no config found, plugin disabled
2009-10-07 10:35:43,411 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.Environment.ModuleLoader [MODULES]:    [VoiceModule]: Initializing.
2009-10-07 10:35:43,412 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.Environment.Modules.Avatar.Voice.SIPVoice.SIPVoiceModule [VOICE] plugin disabl
ed

I have no idea what I can do to try manually hitting the Freeswitch server just to see if it is actually responding.

-Robert

Olli Aro wrote
Yeah we use it all the time. The first time around we worked it out from the
OpenSim freeswitch wiki page. I thought that was good documentation on how
to get things working.

Where are you hitting the brick wall at the moment?

Regards,

Olli

Karen_Palen
As near as I can tell the physics has only gotten better and th enewer versions are even more stable.

My "earlier" version was 0.5.x and I have never regreted the pain of upgrading.

OTH - V 0.7.0 is in RC1 status so maybe in 2012 we will see it? :-)

Karen

> [...]
> > Daniel
> >

> > Robert Klein schrieb:
> >> The installation of Freeswitch on Ubuntu Jaunty
> was horribly convoluted
> >> and
> >> when I ran it up it dumps me to a console and I
> have no idea if it is
> >> even
> >> set up correctly. No errors are listed. Compiling
> Freeswitch is insane.
> >> Then
> >> I made the changes to OpenSim.ini which are pretty
> straight forward, ran
> >> OpenSim.exe and voice stays ghosted out on the
> Land/Media settings. I
> >> seriously have no idea where the failure point
> would even begin to be. I
> >> need this functionality for teaching students so I
> am determined to get
> >> it
> >> working. Is there a minimum version of OpenSim you

Yeah so it looks like the voice module is getting disabled because the
configuration problem.

One thing that worries me is that your log file is saying Asterix and the
latest version voice module says [FreeSwitchVoiceModule].

If I would be you I would install the latest version of OpenSim and then see
if you can get the voice working with this first. I have a feeling that you
might need an upgrade for your current system, since the development
activity around voice has been mainly the last 9-12 months if I have
understood it correctly.

Olli

I agree with Olli. I suggest to upgrade your opensim and try it again.
I'm using opensim 0.6.5 Alpha in conjunction with freeswitch 1.0.3 and
it works fine. I have installed it successfully on ubuntu 9.04 and on a
windows platform. It was a little bit tricky to compile it on windows,
but with the help of the manual on www.opensim.de it was no problem to
get it working on linux. If you start your opensim and freeswitch the
first time, the freeswitch module responds in general with an error
message (http error 404) that could be ignored and with some status
messages, that is "has been answered". Furthermore, opensim returns some
[FreeSwitchDirectory] status messages indicating that several requests
were send. I just tried freeswitch 1.0.3 with opensim 0.6.8 trunk
version and it works, too :-)

If you have further questions let me know. Maybe I can help.

greetings
Daniel

Olli Aro schrieb:

> Yeah so it looks like the voice module is getting disabled because the
> configuration problem.
>
> One thing that worries me is that your log file is saying Asterix and the
> latest version voice module says [FreeSwitchVoiceModule].
>
> If I would be you I would install the latest version of OpenSim and then see
> if you can get the voice working with this first. I have a feeling that you
> might need an upgrade for your current system, since the development
> activity around voice has been mainly the last 9-12 months if I have
> understood it correctly.
>
> Olli

Karen - using ODE physics try creating a 2m ball, hollow it out to 95%, make it physical, then drop it on the ground. It will either crash your region, stick to the ground and maybe slide around if you push it, or it will roll like it should when you push it. Let me know what yours does.

Ollie - yes I actually tried a test install of 0.6.5 and I was not able to get actual voice to work on the region but the OpenSim log showed that the Freeswitch module was trying to communcate so it looks like previous to 0.6.5 Freeswitch just won't run with OpenSim. Compiling Freeswitch on Jaunty is ... well ugly at best. I have been a Unix admin on and off for the last 30 years and I can't get these Linux boxes to behave, and don't get me started on the whole Mono thing. :)

-Robert

Daniel Whitely wrote

Olli Aro schrieb:
> Yeah so it looks like the voice module is getting disabled because the
> configuration problem.
>
> One thing that worries me is that your log file is saying Asterix and the
> latest version voice module says [FreeSwitchVoiceModule].
>
> If I would be you I would install the latest version of OpenSim and then see
> if you can get the voice working with this first. I have a feeling that you
> might need an upgrade for your current system, since the development
> activity around voice has been mainly the last 9-12 months if I have
> understood it correctly.
>
> Olli

I completely agree with you regarding compiling freeswitch:(

But I managed to find windows binary for freeswitch that was really easy.

Would love to run all this on Linux, but we just found better performance and reliability on windows at the moment...

Regards

Olli

Sent from my iPhone

Olli Aro schrieb:
Yeah so it looks like the voice module is getting disabled because the
configuration problem.

One thing that worries me is that your log file is saying Asterix and the
latest version voice module says [FreeSwitchVoiceModule].

If I would be you I would install the latest version of OpenSim and then
see
if you can get the voice working with this first. I have a feeling that
you
might need an upgrade for your current system, since the development
activity around voice has been mainly the last 9-12 months if I have
understood it correctly.

Olli

Re: Voice Installation Class

Karen_Palen
Thank you, yes I will try that once I get everything put back together.

I have just got backupPC working properly again so I still have work to do ....

> [...]
> >
> > If you have further questions let me know. Maybe I can
> help.
> >
> > greetings
> > Daniel
> >

> > Olli Aro schrieb:
> >> Yeah so it looks like the voice module is getting
> disabled because the
> >> configuration problem.
> >>
> >> One thing that worries me is that your log file is
> saying Asterix and the
> >> latest version voice module says
> [FreeSwitchVoiceModule].
> >>
> >> If I would be you I would install the latest
> version of OpenSim and then
> >> see
> >> if you can get the voice working with this first.
> I have a feeling that
> >> you
> >> might need an upgrade for your current system,
> since the development
> >> activity around voice has been mainly the last

Okay I finally got a chance to try Freeswitch on 0.6.5 and it works. So it is safe to say that Freeswitch will not work on versions earlier than 0.6.5. For those interested in trying out Freeswitch (voice) in OpenSim, MaxPing has a great article at http://maxping.org/resources/how-to/install/freeswitch-on-ubunutu.aspx on how to get it all working under Ubuntu. The article does not tell how to stop the annoying "on hold" music when nobody is around. If someone knows how to do that please let us know. I also noticed voice works on the main parcel but not on any subdivided ones. Any clue about how to fix this? Everyone is so great here, thank you for all the help.

-Robert

Karen Palen wrote
> [...]

> > If you have further questions let me know. Maybe I can
> help.
> >
> > greetings
> > Daniel
> >

> > Olli Aro schrieb:
> >> Yeah so it looks like the voice module is getting
> disabled because the
> >> configuration problem.
> >>
> >> One thing that worries me is that your log file is
> saying Asterix and the
> >> latest version voice module says
> [FreeSwitchVoiceModule].
> >>
> >> If I would be you I would install the latest
> version of OpenSim and then
> >> see
> >> if you can get the voice working with this first.
> I have a feeling that
> >> you
> >> might need an upgrade for your current system,
> since the development
> >> activity around voice has been mainly the last

jeff1564
Hi Robert,

By default, FreeSwitch plays hold music when there is only one avatar in the conference and beeps for everyone when avatars arrive and leave. To disable, edit /usr/local/freeswitch/conf/autoload_configs/conference.conf.xml. Locate the "default" profile and comment out the following lines as shown below:

      [...]
      <!-- File to play if you are alone in the conference -->
      <!-- <param name="alone-sound" value="conference/conf-alone.wav"/> -->
      [...]
      <!-- File to play when you're alone (music on hold)-->
      <!-- <param name="moh-sound" value="$${hold_music}"/> -->
      <!-- File to play when you join the conference -->
      <!-- <param name="enter-sound" value="tone_stream://%(200,0,500,600,700)"/> [^] -->
      <!-- File to play when you leave the conference -->
      <!-- <param name="exit-sound" value="tone_stream://%(500,0,300,200,100,50,25)"/> [^] -->
      <!-- File to play when you ae ejected from the conference -->
      <!-- <param name="kicked-sound" value="conference/conf-kicked.wav"/> -->
      [...]

Karen Palen wrote:

> Thank you, yes I will try that once I get everything put back together.
>
> I have just got backupPC working properly again so I still have work to do

by the way.....

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Freeswitch_Module

Karen Palen wrote:

> Thank you, yes I will try that once I get everything put back together.
>
> I have just got backupPC working properly again so I still have work to do

12