Voice and MOAP in the same grid?

Mike O'Brien
        So far as I understand it, the following things are true:

        1) In order to use Media on a Prim (i.e. llSetPrimMediaParams()),
it's necessary to use Viewer 2, specifically 2.5.1.

        2) In order to use Freeswitch, it's necessary to use anything OTHER
than Viewer 2 (Hippo, etc.).

        My grid is behind a firewall, so I can't use a vivox.com account.

        Is there any way I can have BOTH llSetPrimMediaParams, AND voice,
working on a grid behind a firewall at present?  Is there some other
voice solution that works with Viewer 2?

Mike O'Brien

Re: Voice and MOAP in the same grid?

InuYasha Meiji
On 3/9/2011 8:56 PM, Mike O'Brien wrote:
    So far as I understand it, the following things are true:

    1) In order to use Media on a Prim (i.e. llSetPrimMediaParams()), it's necessary to use Viewer 2, specifically 2.5.1.

    2) In order to use Freeswitch, it's necessary to use anything OTHER than Viewer 2 (Hippo, etc.).

    My grid is behind a firewall, so I can't use a vivox.com account.

    Is there any way I can have BOTH llSetPrimMediaParams, AND voice, working on a grid behind a firewall at present?  Is there some other voice solution that works with Viewer 2?

Mike O'Brien

I have another one along these lines, I can't seem to use viewer 2.0+ and keep my attachments in place because opensim don't use something called attachment staking, without ruining my clothing attachments, so I have to stick with Hippo.  Plus, I was only recently told after trying for way to long to use Freeswitch, only to be told that I must set up freeswitch using IP numbers, because it won't work using an IP DNS server like DYNDNS for an external IP.  I can't afford a business account at my ISP, so my IP is dynamic.  I am also behind a firewall, but have acces to opening my ports..

So, now you are telling me with your list, that I can't use one of my last choises to add voice to my grid, because I can't have a firewall at all with Vivox?  Do I have any other choises to add voice that I can look up and try to get running?

It just seems as I go along, I get more disapointed.
I hope there is a little light at the end of this tunnel.
Help is so very appreciated.

InuYasha..

Re: Voice and MOAP in the same grid?

Mike O'Brien
I'm sorry I wasn't clear.  Sumimasen, dog demon.  I'm behind a firewall that I do not control.  If you have control over your own firewall, presumably you can open whatever ports are necessary to get Vivox to work with the servers at Vivox.com.  I can't.  Our entire solution has to live behind our firewall, voice servers and all.

If I can't get Viewer 2 to work with any flavor of in-world chat with OpenSim, our own best solution will probably be to turn OFF all in-world chat, and run a separate Teamspeak or other voice chat server among the participants.  Directional voice and distance fading would probably be detrimental to our purposes anyway.

Mike O'Brien

On Mar 10, 2011, at 3:20 PM, InuYasha Meiji wrote:

[...]

justincc
I know Freeswitch is currently a pain to set up, but I would be a little surprised if it's not working with Viewer 2 as
well.  Austin - have you used it with Viewer 2?

Alternatively, you might want to look at Whisper if all your clients are on Windows and you don't mind replacing the
SLVoice.exe.

http://whisper.vcomm.ch/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: Voice and MOAP in the same grid?

Mike O'Brien
Thanks for the answer!  So far I've seen lots of Web references to how
Viewer 2 does NOT work with Freeswitch, and no one specifically saying
that they've succeeded. Apparently the Vivox module changed somehow.
In fact if you log into OpenSim+Freeswitch with Viewer 2 having voice
enabled, you swamp the sim with console error messages until you
disable voice chat in the viewer:

http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=5336&nbn=2

It'd be nice if someone figured out what went south here; it's a major
pain in the (^&(*& if you want both voice and MOAP.  I do have
Freeswitch working with both 0.6.8 and the current git head
(proto-0.7.1, 0.7.1RC1, whatever you want to call it)...but only with
Hippo or some other 1.X viewer.  I read Melanie's _cri du coeur_ about
wanting to get Freeswitch to talk properly to a grid (apparently it
works in grid mode only by accident, and if the "magic sim" goes down,
that's it for Freeswitch in all regions), but I'm not in a position to
help as I'm not a C# programmer, nor a Windows programmer.  I'm just
glad mono works on a Mac.

Sadly, we have a mix of platforms and can't depend on Mumble.  If it
were cross-platform it'd be great; I'm on a Mac, meself, and doubt
mono would handle the task.  Absent positive word on that, I lack
courage to try.

Mike O'Brien

On Mar 10, 2011, at 4:40 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> I know Freeswitch is currently a pain to set up, but I would be a
> little surprised if it's not working with Viewer 2 as well.  Austin
> - have you used it with Viewer 2?
>
> Alternatively, you might want to look at Whisper if all your clients
> are on Windows and you don't mind replacing the SLVoice.exe.
>
> http://whisper.vcomm.ch/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62
>
> On 11/03/11 00:33, Mike O'Brien wrote:
>> I'm sorry I wasn't clear. Sumimasen, dog demon. I'm behind a
>> firewall that I do not control. If you have control over
>> your own firewall, presumably you can open whatever ports are
>> necessary to get Vivox to work with the servers at
>> Vivox.com. I can't. Our entire solution has to live behind our
>> firewall, voice servers and all.
>>
>> If I can't get Viewer 2 to work with any flavor of in-world chat
>> with OpenSim, our own best solution will probably be to
>> turn OFF all in-world chat, and run a separate Teamspeak or other
>> voice chat server among the participants. Directional
>> voice and distance fading would probably be detrimental to our
>> purposes anyway.
>>
>> Mike O'Brien

>>> I have another one along these lines, I can't seem to use viewer
>>> 2.0+ and keep my attachments in place because opensim
>>> don't use something called attachment staking, without ruining my
>>> clothing attachments, so I have to stick with Hippo.
>>> Plus, I was only recently told after trying for way to long to use
>>> Freeswitch, only to be told that I must set up
>>> freeswitch using IP numbers, because it won't work using an IP DNS
>>> server like DYNDNS for an external IP. I can't
>>> afford a business account at my ISP, so my IP is dynamic. I am
>>> also behind a firewall, but have acces to opening my
>>> ports..
>>>
>>> So, now you are telling me with your list, that I can't use one of
>>> my last choises to add voice to my grid, because I
>>> can't have a firewall at all with Vivox? Do I have any other
>>> choises to add voice that I can look up and try to get
>>> running?
>>>
>>> It just seems as I go along, I get more disapointed.
>>> I hope there is a little light at the end of this tunnel.
>>> Help is so very appreciated.
>>>
>>> InuYasha..

> Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
> http://justincc.org/blog
> http://twitter.com/justincc

Re: Voice and MOAP in the same grid?

>From: Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]>
>I know Freeswitch is currently a pain to set up, but I would be a
>little surprised if it's not working with Viewer 2 as
>well.  Austin - have you used it with Viewer 2?

FreeSwitch voice is working fine with Viewer 1.23.5 (and it should
work fine also with the many third party viewers based on Viewer 1
code).  Its been working for us under 0.6.9 and 0.7.0.x and with
melanie's revised structure with remote and local connectors under
0.7.1.  You can try it out if you wish on OSGrid add-on regions
Vue-3200 or Vue-6400 which we host here at the Virtual University of
Edinburgh and which uses our single FreeSwitch server which also
serves the main Openvue grid regions.

We have not ever been able to get FreeSwitch voice in OpenSim to work
with Viewer 2.. though I am not sure what the issue is, unless its a
change in the SLVoice.exe or SL Voice protocols.  Maybe Melanie can
comment on whether that can be made to work.  It would be good if it
was, as Viewer 2 is all we really use nowadays and its a pain to have
to switch back to Viewer 1.23.5 just to get voice.. which we really need.

But its worse than that as the current 0.7.1 dev version of
Freeswitch actually locks up with Viewer 2 if the default of voice
being set to on is in use by ANY SINGLE user.  I hope this can be
fixed (even if just by not allowing a voice connection to be tried by
the server if Viewer 2 is in use) before a 0.7.1 release candidate. See

I have been giving InuYasha some assistance already in direct
messages, but with regards to firewalls, you should be able to open
the relevant ports required if you are authorized to do so by your
network provider.

With regards to configuration... the FreeSwitch server config files
seem to require IP NUMBERS and whren openSim gives talks with the
server such numbers seem to want to be exchanged. So the FreeSwitch
server settings in ithe OpenSim config file aside also seem to
require to be  IP numbers too.  Note that  EVERYWHERE else in our
OpenSim.ini and Robust.HG.ini files we use fully qualified externally
accessible DNS names or aliases rather than IP numbers of local host names.

>Alternatively, you might want to look at Whisper if all your clients
>are on Windows and you don't mind replacing the
>SLVoice.exe.
>http://whisper.vcomm.ch/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62

At some stage we will switch to Whsiper once it works with Viewer 2
and hopefully with the default SLVoice.exe, as its complex for normal
users to be told to use the SLVoice.exe swapping mechanism and it
would put them off.. as well as likely leaving them confused when
they switch between OpenSim and Second Life.

Its pretty easy for the viewer side really though really.  I keep a
COPY of the viewer folder with the custom SLVoice.exe installed and
never switch back and forth.  I just have a shortcut on my desktop to
one or the other.