Waiting for Region Handshake

Paul Rayner
Hi
I'm hosting a standalone OpenSim 0.7.5 at home, on Ubuntu 11.10 64bit.

I need/want it for school, and when I try and connect from school I get a "Waiting for Region Handshake" error when trying to connect with Imprudence viewer.

I believe I've ascertained the school firewall is open - I used http://124.254.81.40:9000/simstatus and got the required OK.

My router is a Billion Bipac 7300A. In reading OpenSim documentation, I only found at last week I need reverse NAT (or something to that effect). I had never seen it in any system requirements. After checking the web, I believe the router does support it.

I can connect fine from my LAN.

I'd appreciate ANY advice I can get to have it up and running. I'd dearly love to have it working ASAP - after a long wait to have the port open at school. I'm now behind the 8ball timewise.

Paul
To email the list, use  [hidden email]

An ITS repository for sharing of resources.  Contact me for the enroll key.

http://rightintoit.com/wordpress/ A blog examining how new technologies can assist in the classroom

Re: Waiting for Region Handshake

Fleep Tuque
Hi Paul,

This is a fairly common question that can have a number of different root causes.

It might be helpful to go over the details of exactly what happens when you try to log in.  Based on previous posts from Justin, Diva and others, this is my understanding of how it works:  When you start up the client and enter your name/password, it sends those details to the OpenSim login service. If your password is correct, it tells the region simulator that you're coming.  The login service then sends back to your client the IP address and port to use to enter that region based on the information in the regions.ini configuration file.  Your client then connects to the region using those details.

If you are stuck at "Connecting to Region.." or "Waiting for region handshake..." then your client successfully connected to the Opensim login service, but the information it is using to try to connect to the region (IP address and port number) is not allowing the connection.  This can be any number of issues related to your networking setup.

1)  Check to make sure you have the correct ports open on your router and firewall by reviewing the Opensim Network Settings page and Firewall settings page.  You can verify this by using 3rd party port checker software, I've used this successfully:  http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

2)  If you are on a home network, make sure your router supports NAT Loopback, per the instructions on the Opensim wiki:  http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NAT_Loopback_Routers

3)  If you do not have a router that supports NAT Loopback, or are on a corporate or campus network with 1-to-1 NATing, you will need to have an external static IP address assigned to your server for users outside your network to connect.  See this thread for more information:  http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/NAT-amp-Corporate-Firewall-td6223654.html

I run FleepGrid from home and since my router didn't support NAT Loopback, I got a static IP address from my ISP and that resolved all my issues with people not being able to connect from outside my home network.  I had to do the same thing at work for the university grid, having it placed in the DMZ and assigned an external only static IP.

Hope this info is helpful.  Good luck and let us know how it goes!

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 5:39 AM, Paul Rayner <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

In trying to resolve this, I followed the advice Fleep provided.
I believe I can satisfy all of the suggestions made.
Checking my standalonecommon.ini, I found many instances of 127.0.0.1 - lines 68,76,78-83,155,271,274,290,291,309....should they all be changed to my external IP address?

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Fleep Tuque <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

With attachment this time

[...]

standalonecommon.ini (17K) Download Attachment

Re: Waiting for Region Handshake

Kim Minuet
Well Paul the simplest thing would be to try that, but yes, I have my external IP@ in all those places.  I think.  Kim.

Sent from Windows Mail

[...]

<a title="tel:%28513%29%20556-3018" style="color: rgb(17, 85, 204);" href="tel:%28513%29%20556-3018" target="_parent">(513) 556-3018

[...]

Gary Beck
Paul,
    The values in standaloinecommon.ini may need changing to support other things.  Waiting for region handshake is caused by the regions.ini setting as mentioned by Fleep Tuque.  The ExternalHostName is resolved by the server to an address.  The server passes that address along with the port number (InternalPort) to the viewer.  If the address passed is a local LAN address rather than your external IP address then you will stall 'waiting for region handshake' when logging in from outside the LAN.  Hope that helps.
- Gary Beck
[...]

<A style="COLOR: rgb(17,85,204)" href="tel:%28513%29%20556-3018" target=_blank value="+15135563018">(513) 556-3018

[...]

My frustration's at an all time high. I understand this MUST be operator error, but that doesn't get me any closer to resolving it.

I have enabled DMZ (and I have had a static IP throughout). As a last resort, I even turned off my firewall on the server (Ubuntu).

The internal IP is 0.0.0.0 and the external IP is my static IP (not domain name). It seems to hand forever on "logging in" before an error message about not being able to log in.

Any advice at all would be very welcome

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM, Gary Beck <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

<a style="COLOR:rgb(17,85,204)" href="tel:%28513%29%20556-3018" value="+15135563018" target="_blank">(513) 556-3018

[...]

An ITS repository for sharing of resources.  Contact me for the enrol key.

http://rightintoit.com/wordpress/ A blog examining how new technologies can assist in the classroom

Re: Waiting for Region Handshake

Fleep Tuque
Hi Paul,

Is the static IP address you've assigned to your server an address that can be resolved from outside your local network?  What are the first two numbers?

If you're doing this on a home network, what model router are you using and did you configure it for port forwarding and/or with settings from your ISP to assign a static IP to your server machine?  For example, I have a Westell 7500, and to route traffic to my XP machine running FleepGrid, I had to go into the router configuration Advanced > LAN > Public LAN > check to enable Public LAN > and enter the static IP address my ISP assigned.

Have you run some kind of port checker software to ensure the port is open from outside your network?

Do you have any real-time anti-virus/scanning software running that might be mucking things up?   (Sounds ridiculous, but Avast had some real time scanning feature that was blocking connections to my XP box.  It's been too long, I don't remember the details now, but turning off some of Avast's real time scanning resolved the issue.)

FleepGrid runs in grid mode, not standalone, but in case it might be a configuration issue, you can view my .ini files at http://fleep.wikispaces.com/FleepGrid to compare settings.

This part, the networking, is the single most difficult and frustrating thing about setting up a grid.  Try to keep your chin up, we'll help, and once you get this resolved, everything else will seem like a piece of cake.  :)

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive