Warning, one month Warning

12

Warning, one month Warning

Sean Hennessee
Beware, we have one month before April Fool's day. Gremlins have been
known to appear in OpenSim on April Fool's day. If you have critical
demo's on April 1st, don't use OpenSim! :-D You have been warned!
~Sean
--
*Tongue planted firmly in cheek*

Re: Warning, one month Warning

James Stallings II
The april 1 pranks typically only affect non-release versions of opensim and have never, to my knowlege, crashed anyone's grid.

More typically, everyone's avatar will be rendered as a stick figure or plywood box. Again, these pranks typically only impact head.

Note that: 1. These pranks are a more than just a bit juvenile, but 2. the code belongs to the devs who write it, not to the users who run it and 3. Don't run dev code on prduction servers if you dont like surprises.

Oh and 4. don't expect a lot of sympathy about your 'getting pissed', as you have been more than adequately warned.

Cheers,
James

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:32 AM, John Ward <[hidden email]> wrote:
What version do you run?

John Mieske wrote:
If my personal 4 Region Grid crashes on april fools because of some stupid holiday i'm going to be pissed !

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Sean Hennessee <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

   Beware, we have one month before April Fool's day. Gremlins have
   been known to appear in OpenSim on April Fool's day. If you have
   critical demo's on April 1st, don't use OpenSim! :-D You have been
   warned!
   ~Sean
   --
   *Tongue planted firmly in cheek*

   [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> --
John Mieske / Winword Exonar
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Ursula MATOVA
Let's watch Justin :P
April Fool's day is it's prefered :D

(( just kidding you, Justin ))

John Mieske wrote:
If my personal 4 Region Grid crashes on april fools because of some stupid holiday i'm going to be pissed !

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Sean Hennessee <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

   Beware, we have one month before April Fool's day. Gremlins have
   been known to appear in OpenSim on April Fool's day. If you have
   critical demo's on April 1st, don't use OpenSim! :-D You have been
   warned!
   ~Sean
   --
   *Tongue planted firmly in cheek*

   [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> --
John Mieske / Winword Exonar
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Aldon Hynes
Well, I hope that everyone who is concerned about reliablity of their
regions only run the latest developers version off of the trunk so they can
make sure that they have gotten the latest fixes!

*Tongue planted even more firmly in cheek*

> If my personal 4 Region Grid crashes on april fools because of some
> stupid holiday i'm going to be pissed !
>
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Sean Hennessee <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Beware, we have one month before April Fool's day. Gremlins have
>     been known to appear in OpenSim on April Fool's day. If you have
>     critical demo's on April 1st, don't use OpenSim! :-D You have been
>     warned!
>     ~Sean
>     --
>     *Tongue planted firmly in cheek*

> John Mieske / Winword Exonar
> http://johnmieske.org
> Space Grid Station

Re: Warning, one month Warning

drwhiet@spacefriends.de

.. lol John ,  you where online, last years April Fools Day ? -> i jut say
Mantis°

John Ward wrote:
> What version do you run?

> John Mieske wrote:
> If my personal 4 Region Grid crashes on april fools because of some
> stupid holiday i'm going to be pissed !
>
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Sean Hennessee <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Beware, we have one month before April Fool's day. Gremlins have
>     been known to appear in OpenSim on April Fool's day. If you have
>     critical demo's on April 1st, don't use OpenSim! :-D You have been
>     warned!
>     ~Sean
>     --
>     *Tongue planted firmly in cheek*

> John Mieske / Winword Exonar
> http://johnmieske.org
> Space Grid Station

Re: Warning, one month Warning

John Mieske
Ok so let me get this straight..  since I am NOT the coder here of my personal Sim as you put it, then I am to expect it to Fail or screw up because the coders who you say "Own" the code ( which by that logic means they own my sim ) can deliberately crash the sim all because of a Stupid holiday prank ?  They deliberately put code in there to screw up EVERYONE who has a sim that is a DEV version ?

So all those poor people who have that, which I know a lot, will get a bad surprise ( and not all of them are even IN this group ) ..  and some who have been trying so hard to keep it running, are going to think that something major is wrong on that day not thinking it was all a prank and either A.) give up, or B.) loose all their faith in opensim because of this crap ?

I'm sorry, but does this seem right to anyone here ?  Or is this something that all of you are in agreement with here ?
John

John Mieske wrote:
If my personal 4 Region Grid crashes on april fools because of some stupid holiday i'm going to be pissed !

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Sean Hennessee <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

   Beware, we have one month before April Fool's day. Gremlins have
   been known to appear in OpenSim on April Fool's day. If you have
   critical demo's on April 1st, don't use OpenSim! :-D You have been
   warned!
   ~Sean
   --
   *Tongue planted firmly in cheek*

   [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> --
John Mieske / Winword Exonar
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station

John Mieske / Winword Exonar
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Chris Kennedy-2
Why not just set your system clock back a day or so on April 1st until April 2nd to avoid it in the first place if you're using a dev release? Of course that assumes OpenSim gets the time and date from the system rather than NTP... I'm not sure lol.

As for the people who don't have a heads up on this I don't know what to say.

John Mieske wrote:
If my personal 4 Region Grid crashes on april fools because of some stupid holiday i'm going to be pissed !

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Sean Hennessee <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

   Beware, we have one month before April Fool's day. Gremlins have
   been known to appear in OpenSim on April Fool's day. If you have
   critical demo's on April 1st, don't use OpenSim! :-D You have been
   warned!
   ~Sean
   --
   *Tongue planted firmly in cheek*

   [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> --
John Mieske / Winword Exonar
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station

John Mieske / Winword Exonar
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Master_Mirage
Yah i remeber last year, got alot of ppl mad too. The problem wasent so mutch about the prank it was not knowing one would be played. Hopefully at least this time grid ops are better informed than last time.
So in that way i have to say ty for the reminder.
Stick ppl was funny just happened in an un-expected time and way.
It was quickly un-done and as said allready check mantis on that day as they usualy allready have away to counter it if needed.
As far as If its right or wrong to do it. Ill avoid that topic lol.
Wordfromthe Wise wrote

John Ward wrote:
> What version do you run?

> John Mieske wrote:
> If my personal 4 Region Grid crashes on april fools because of some
> stupid holiday i'm going to be pissed !
>
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Sean Hennessee <sean@uci.edu
> <mailto:sean@uci.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Beware, we have one month before April Fool's day. Gremlins have
>     been known to appear in OpenSim on April Fool's day. If you have
>     critical demo's on April 1st, don't use OpenSim! :-D You have been
>     warned!
>     ~Sean
>     --
>     *Tongue planted firmly in cheek*

> John Mieske / Winword Exonar
> http://johnmieske.org
> Space Grid Station

Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: Warning, one month Warning

John Ward-2

On 03/02/2010 09:52 PM, John Mieske wrote:
> Ok so let me get this straight..  since I am NOT the coder here of my
> personal Sim as you put it, then I am to expect it to Fail or screw up
> because the coders who you say "Own" the code ( which by that logic
> means they own my sim ) can deliberately crash the sim all because of a
> Stupid holiday prank ?  They deliberately put code in there to screw up
> EVERYONE who has a sim that is a DEV version ?

Not quite, I think you are still a little bent.  The code is open and
not really own-able in that sense.  The master branch is the bleeding
edge.  That is were the big changes happen which can lead to grid
crashes.  That is how progress is made and one reason you shouldn't use
the master in a so called production environment.

None of the April fools days fun has crashed a grid intentionally or
otherwise.  If you can't handle a crash from a bug then don't run
master.  If you don't have a sense of humor definitely don't run master
around April 1st either.

> So all those poor people who have that, which I know a lot, will get a
> bad surprise ( and not all of them are even IN this group ) ..  and some
> who have been trying so hard to keep it running, are going to think that
> something major is wrong on that day not thinking it was all a prank and
> either A.) give up, or B.) loose all their faith in opensim because of
> this crap ?

I'm not sure a case could be more overstated.  I think most of the
creative folks involved in Opensim do not respond this way.

> I'm sorry, but does this seem right to anyone here ?  Or is this
> something that all of you are in agreement with here ?

I don't agree with the "juvenile" characterization any more then I would
agree with calling Opensim a "game".  I fully support and encourage this
once a year event.  I look forward to it.  My first experience with it
was 3 years ago when Michael Wright placed an avatar that moved and
shouted in the sim.  It was funny and the bot was also an example of how
that could be done, well back then.

John.

> John
>
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:44 PM, James Stallings II
>
>     The april 1 pranks typically only affect non-release versions of
>     opensim and have never, to my knowlege, crashed anyone's grid.
>
>     More typically, everyone's avatar will be rendered as a stick figure
>     or plywood box. Again, these pranks typically only impact head.
>
>     Note that: 1. These pranks are a more than just a bit juvenile, but
>     2. the code belongs to the devs who write it, not to the users who
>     run it and 3. Don't run dev code on prduction servers if you dont
>     like surprises.
>
>     Oh and 4. don't expect a lot of sympathy about your 'getting
>     pissed', as you have been more than adequately warned.
>
>     Cheers,
>     James
>

>     On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:32 AM, John Ward <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         What version do you run?
>
>         John Mieske wrote:
>
>             If my personal 4 Region Grid crashes on april fools because
>             of some stupid holiday i'm going to be pissed !
>

>             On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Sean Hennessee <[hidden email]
>             <mailto:[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email]
>             <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>
>                 Beware, we have one month before April Fool's day.
>             Gremlins have
>                 been known to appear in OpenSim on April Fool's day. If
>             you have
>                 critical demo's on April 1st, don't use OpenSim! :-D You
>             have been
>                 warned!
>                 ~Sean
>                 --
>                 *Tongue planted firmly in cheek*

>             --
>             John Mieske / Winword Exonar
>             http://johnmieske.org
>             Space Grid Station

>     --

> John Mieske / Winword Exonar
> http://johnmieske.org
> Space Grid Station

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Master_Mirage
Master_Mirage wrote
Yah i remeber last year, got alot of ppl mad too. The problem wasent so mutch about the prank it was not knowing one would be played. Hopefully at least this time grid ops are better informed than last time.
So in that way i have to say ty for the reminder.
Stick ppl was funny just happened in an un-expected time and way.
It was quickly un-done and as said allready check mantis on that day as they usualy allready have away to counter it if needed.
As far as If its right or wrong to do it. Ill avoid that topic lol.

 Just as sub note: I allways felt it would be better if the prank files could be an optional thing so grid-ops can decide if its approperate to do to there users. I think that would avoid alot of the problems as the system owner can opt in or not at least. I like a good joke as mutch as any and i feel that would be a better way to go about it now days.

Wordfromthe Wise wrote

Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

On 03/03/2010 04:59 AM, John Mieske wrote:
> I don't think you understand the relevance of what is going on. IF they
> can put code into it to crash or disrupt your OpenSim software, then
> what else is in the code that we are unaware of ? I see a HUGE security
> risk here. Anyone who has this running at home on their home network,
> they invited them into looking at your network and your computers. I
> have permanently shut down my Grid. I no longer support OpenSim.

Shame on you if you are suggesting any wrong doing.  Lots of people put
in a lot of hard work on this project.  My thanks to each and every one
of you!

> And they are correct when they say, This is not commercial software and
> that THEY are not responsible for anything !

The disclaimer in no way implies any wrong doing.  Funny, I don't recall
commercial software taking much responsibility.

John.

Ursula MATOVA wrote:
> Let's watch Justin :P
> April Fool's day is it's prefered :D
>
> (( just kidding you, Justin ))

Damn, caught red-handed :).  I was planning on making everyone a beautiful multi-colored butterfly this year.

But seriously, I doubt anything will happen after last year.  But that's just my opinion, not a guarantee.

> Le 2 mars 10 à 18:44, James Stallings II a écrit :
>
>> The april 1 pranks typically only affect non-release versions of
>> opensim and have never, to my knowlege, crashed anyone's grid.
>>
>> More typically, everyone's avatar will be rendered as a stick figure
>> or plywood box. Again, these pranks typically only impact head.
>>
>> Note that: 1. These pranks are a more than just a bit juvenile, but 2.
>> the code belongs to the devs who write it, not to the users who run it
>> and 3. Don't run dev code on prduction servers if you dont like surprises.
>>
>> Oh and 4. don't expect a lot of sympathy about your 'getting pissed',
>> as you have been more than adequately warned.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> James
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:32 AM, John Ward <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     What version do you run?
>>
>>     John Mieske wrote:
>>
>>         If my personal 4 Region Grid crashes on april fools because of
>>         some stupid holiday i'm going to be pissed !
>>

>>         On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Sean Hennessee <[hidden email]
>>         <mailto:[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email]
>>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>>
>>            Beware, we have one month before April Fool's day. Gremlins
>>         have
>>            been known to appear in OpenSim on April Fool's day. If you
>>         have
>>            critical demo's on April 1st, don't use OpenSim! :-D You
>>         have been
>>            warned!
>>            ~Sean
>>            --
>>            *Tongue planted firmly in cheek*

>>         --
>>         John Mieske / Winword Exonar
>>         http://johnmieske.org
>>         Space Grid Station

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Marcus Llewellyn
Wow.

First off, anyone at all is free to audit OpenSimulator's source for security. It's very easy to obtain as an archive, via SVN or Git. If you use a binary package, presumably you trust the person who compiled and distributed it. If you don't... why on earth were you ever running it at all?

Second, it isn't as though patches are just thrown into OpenSim willy-nilly. They are first approved by core developers. Massive changes are likely to be put into their own branch until the changes introduced can be properly evaluated and tested, and are unlikely to be accepted readily anyway unless created by a core dev, or someone with a good reputation.

As for April Fools, I'm looking forward to it. I'll be making a backup, compiling from master shortly beforehand, and then see what goofiness was hatched up this year. If anyone in the know knows what's gonna happen, don't tell me. I would like to be surprised. :)

Marcus

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 6:59 AM, John Mieske <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't think you understand the relevance of what is going on. IF they can put code into it to crash or disrupt your OpenSim software, then what else is in the code that we are unaware of ? I see a HUGE security risk here. Anyone who has this running at home on their home network, they invited them into looking at your network and your computers. I have permanently shut down my Grid. I no longer support OpenSim.

And they are correct when they say, This is not commercial software and that THEY are not responsible for anything !

John

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Aldon Hynes
For any newer members of this list who aren't sure what people are talking
about, or for older members of the list who still haven't figured out what
really happened, I would encouage you to check out:

The Great 2009 OpenSim April Fool's Prank
http://www.orient-lodge.com/node/3489

OpenSim Takes a New Direction - April Fool's Day in Perspective
http://www.orient-lodge.com/node/3492

and

Followup: The OpenSim 'lawsuit'
http://www.orient-lodge.com/node/3497

I realize that this is a list for users and not developers, so let me talk
about different versions of OpenSim

On the front page of the website, they list version 0.6.8  If you aren't a
developer, or don't have some other specific reason to be using development
code, you are probably best using this.  I can't make any promises, because
I haven't read the code myself, but my bet is that if you run 0.6.8, you
probably don't have to worry about an April Fool's Prank.  There is a
version 0.6.9dev-r11766.  It says 'dev' as part of the version.  Again, I
haven't read that code closely either, so I don't know for sure if there
might be a prank in that.  Since it is a developers version you've got a
better chance of finding a prank.

If you are a developer and want to work with the latest version of the code,
there are instructions, with ample warnings about the dangers of doing so on
the OpenSim website.  Of course, for people who enjoy developers senses of
humor, this is probably the best code to get if you really want to
experience the prank, and crashes such a prank might produce, and even learn
a little bit more about how OpenSim really works as people deal with a prank
and any possible crashes.  As always, your mileage may vary.

My long two cents,
Aldon

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Karen Palen
The point is that if you run "development" software for "production" you WILL have problems!

One of the subtle differences between OpenSource development "closed source" development is that "there is no bottom to the rabbit hole"! You can change anything and run the most unstable "bleeding edge" software imaginable.

Commercial ("closed source") software does not get released until much later in the design cycle. If OpenSim were "closed source" then likely V0.6.7 would be "production" and V 0.6.8 would be "beta" - if indeed ANY of it was allowed outside the factory!

Essentially the difference is that you get to make the choice and live with the results!

If you are prepared for things a lot more subtle than the April 1 pranks to go wrong then running the "head" revision helps the developers by testing the software in a realistic environment using "standard idiots" as uisers.

If you are trying to build a virtual world and want to concentrate on getting stuff built and working "in world" then you should be using one of the release versions!

Just because the nightly builds or "head" version doesn't break often does not mean that they won't break!

The April 1 antics should serve as a reminder of this!

Karen

Wordfromthe Wise wrote:

> .. lol John ,  you where online, last years April Fools Day ? -> i jut say
> Mantis°
>
> John Ward wrote:
>> What version do you run?

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Master_Mirage
<quote author="Karen Palen">

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Master_Mirage <mirage123@verizon.net> wrote:

> Yah i remeber last year, got alot of ppl mad too. The problem wasent so
> mutch
> about the prank it was not knowing one would be played. Hopefully at least
> this time grid ops are better informed than last time.
> So in that way i have to say ty for the reminder.
> Stick ppl was funny just happened in an un-expected time and way.
> It was quickly un-done and as said allready check mantis on that day as
> they
> usualy allready have away to counter it if needed.
> As far as If its right or wrong to do it. Ill avoid that topic lol.
Well for me last year was a matter of not knowing what was beeing reffered too.
It was at the same time as real virus threat was bbeing warrned about and me not knowing exactly what it was. Thought that thay were talking about a trick on OSG users or a joke just between devs ect..
I never considered it would be done in the master svn code.
When i saw that something was wrong, It became a series of things as i dident know and made the worst assumption and that my system had been hacked and nothing todo with the build.

Anyway, For me it came down to just not knowing what was beeing reffered too.
I really dident care about the prank its selph. At the same time there were some that seemed to be using it as an excuse to make alot of trouble. Im shure theres some that remeber that too.
New ppl may be getting the wrong impression and dont know what scars there were from then.

In hindsight (now that i know) its not a big deal and is done to have fun. It doset make it into tagged rev. it dosent harm data or have some black hidden stuff in it. Its just a joke and lives for one day in a dev. git build is all.

The sky is not falling :)  Have some fun if its done at all this year.

Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

On 03/04/2010 09:51 AM, Master_Mirage wrote:
> Thought that thay were talking about a
> trick on OSG users or a joke just between devs ect..
> I never considered it would be done in the master svn code.

I am curious about this thinking.  Where would you expect a dev to put a
joke even if only between devs if not the svn head or git master?

> In hindsight (now that i know) its not a big deal and is done to have fun.
> It doset make it into tagged rev. it dosent harm data or have some black
> hidden stuff in it. Its just a joke and lives for one day in a dev. git
> build is all.
>
> The sky is not falling :)  Have some fun if its done at all this year.

I like your summary very much.

John.

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Karen Palen
This is a learning process for all of us!

Hopefully a relatively fun way to learn though :-)

Karen

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Master_Mirage <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

dident know and made the worst assumption and that my system had been hacked
and nothing todo with the build.

Anyway, For me it came down to just not knowing what was beeing reffered
too.
I really dident care about the prank its selph. At the same time there were
some that seemed to be using it as an excuse to make alot of trouble. Im
shure theres some that remeber that too.
New ppl may be getting the wrong impression and dont know what scars there
were from then.

In hindsight (now that i know) its not a big deal and is done to have fun.
It doset make it into tagged rev. it dosent harm data or have some black
hidden stuff in it. Its just a joke and lives for one day in a dev. git
build is all.

The sky is not falling :)  Have some fun if its done at all this year.

This is not fun to me.. and with people like John Ward telling me to never reply to this group again is why I got tired of OpenSim and why I decided its not worth my time to help with it any longer.

John

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

some that seemed to be using it as an excuse to make alot of trouble. Im
shure theres some that remeber that too.
New ppl may be getting the wrong impression and dont know what scars there
were from then.

In hindsight (now that i know) its not a big deal and is done to have fun.
It doset make it into tagged rev. it dosent harm data or have some black
hidden stuff in it. Its just a joke and lives for one day in a dev. git
build is all.

The sky is not falling :)  Have some fun if its done at all this year.

John Mieske / Winword Exonar
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station

Re: Warning, one month Warning

John Mieske

I am curious about this thinking.  Where would you expect a dev to put a joke even if only between devs if not the svn head or git master?

THIS WAS EXACTLY my point ! Coming from the one guy who said I was being paranoid !

12