Warning, one month Warning

12

Re: Warning, one month Warning

John Ward-2
Where did I say "never reply to this group again"?  Yesterday you left
because of the danger of what the devs could put in Opensim.  Today you
add it's because of something I said that I never did say.

I'll inject the truth from our private conversation.  You said "No
replies will be coming from me again on this topic."  I did respond with
"I'd prefer you not respond, especially to the lists.  I don't find your
dispersions or paranoia useful."

I wish you were honest about your intenstions and didn't reply.  If you
are leaving the Opensim community then I do wish you would stop posting
too.  At the very least you need to stop lying and stop the
mis-characterizations.

Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

John.

On 03/04/2010 11:00 AM, John Mieske wrote:

> [...]
>
>         If you are trying to build a virtual world and want to
>         concentrate on
>         getting stuff built and working "in world" then you should be
>         using one of
>         the release versions!
>
>         Just because the nightly builds or "head" version doesn't break
>         often does *
>         not* mean that they won't break!
>
>         The April 1 antics should serve as a reminder of this!
>
>         Karen
>

>         On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Master_Mirage
>
>          >
>          > Yah i remeber last year, got alot of ppl mad too. The problem
>         wasent so
>          > mutch
>          > about the prank it was not knowing one would be played.
>         Hopefully at least
>          > this time grid ops are better informed than last time.
>          > So in that way i have to say ty for the reminder.
>          > Stick ppl was funny just happened in an un-expected time and way.
>          > It was quickly un-done and as said allready check mantis on
>         that day as
>          > they
>          > usualy allready have away to counter it if needed.
>          > As far as If its right or wrong to do it. Ill avoid that
>         topic lol.
>         ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>         Well for me last year was a matter of not knowing what was
>         beeing reffered
>         too.
>         It was at the same time as real virus threat was bbeing warrned
>         about and me
>         not knowing exactly what it was. Thought that thay were talking
>         about a
>         trick on OSG users or a joke just between devs ect..
>         I never considered it would be done in the master svn code.
>         When i saw that something was wrong, It became a series of
>         things as i
>         dident know and made the worst assumption and that my system had
>         been hacked
>         and nothing todo with the build.
>
>         Anyway, For me it came down to just not knowing what was beeing
>         reffered
>         too.
>         I really dident care about the prank its selph. At the same time
>         there were
>         some that seemed to be using it as an excuse to make alot of
>         trouble. Im
>         shure theres some that remeber that too.
>         New ppl may be getting the wrong impression and dont know what
>         scars there
>         were from then.
>
>         In hindsight (now that i know) its not a big deal and is done to
>         have fun.
>         It doset make it into tagged rev. it dosent harm data or have
>         some black
>         hidden stuff in it. Its just a joke and lives for one day in a
>         dev. git
>         build is all.
>
>         The sky is not falling :)  Have some fun if its done at all this

Master_Mirage
John Ward-2 wrote
On 03/04/2010 09:51 AM, Master_Mirage wrote:
> Thought that thay were talking about a
> trick on OSG users or a joke just between devs ect..
> I never considered it would be done in the master svn code.

I am curious about this thinking.  Where would you expect a dev to put a
joke even if only between devs if not the svn head or git master?

> In hindsight (now that i know) its not a big deal and is done to have fun.
> It doset make it into tagged rev. it dosent harm data or have some black
> hidden stuff in it. Its just a joke and lives for one day in a dev. git
> build is all.
>
> The sky is not falling :)  Have some fun if its done at all this year.

I like your summary very much.

John.
I honestly thought that thay were making something sp. for OSG to use as it has the most users and there admins could safely use as it came from devs.. OR that devs had some branch thay use to play jokes on each other with, just to lighten up there day.
I really dident understand at the time.

The real problem was when a few tryed to make mountains outta mole hills back then. New users prob hit on a sore subject with someone and not know thay have. The logic thay were using to make trouble with really dident get passed the sniff test and isant anything new.
Truth is, nothing like that has ever happened in the 1st place. Dev. have rl jobs programming to. There not going to risk that trust and there jobs. Not to mention theres not just ONE dev there are many and thay to dont want there living in question. So the logic of the old argument really had no point other than to make trouble in my view.

Im saying this so new ppl can understand it a bit and why some answers may seem odd to them when thay hit a sore spot. There are 2 sides to the story.

Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Please let's not turn this into a flamewar.  As far as I'm concerned, constructive criticism of OpenSim is fine but extended personal exchanges are not.  This whole 'debate' was covered extensively last April.

If this continues to degenerate I will moderate certain posts for a while.

On 03/04/2010 11:02 AM, John Mieske wrote:

>     I am curious about this thinking.  Where would you expect a dev to
>     put a joke even if only between devs if not the svn head or git master?
>

> THIS WAS EXACTLY my point ! Coming from the one guy who said I was being
> paranoid !

We do *NOT* make the same point!  My point is that the devs use the
master copy for code distribution.  I don't think there is a secret dev
only hidden copy.  Master is exactly how I would expect an April Fools
day to be distributed among developers just like any other code.  Some
others like you may expect a secret repository where devs conspire to do
evil things to users computers, but I do not.  Nor does my point include
lies about intentionally crashing servers or suggestions of impropriety
on the part of any dev even those expressing a sense of humor.  That is
your shtick not mine.

John.

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Steve-28
Personally, as someone new to OpenSim, running a single sim on a home
server for around a month now that I deliberately setup with Ubuntu
server specifically for the sim, and using the OSGrid release of OpenSim
(0.6.9 (Dev)), I'm looking forward to April 1, just to see what happens :)

I will, of course, ensure I have backed up in advance, just in case, and
curiosity may well kill this cat, but at least I may die laughing, and
cats have 9 lives.

Steve

Re: Warning, one month Warning

LaeMing
I for one am disappointed that my sporadic tracking of master caused me to
miss last year's Apr 1st. It sounded like a completely non-damaging bit of
fun. Simply changed the way Avatar data was interpreted for a while, without
changing any actual data. Kudos.

Lae.

On Friday March 5 2010 07:00:37 Steve wrote:

> Personally, as someone new to OpenSim, running a single sim on a home
> server for around a month now that I deliberately setup with Ubuntu
> server specifically for the sim, and using the OSGrid release of OpenSim
> (0.6.9 (Dev)), I'm looking forward to April 1, just to see what happens :)
>
> I will, of course, ensure I have backed up in advance, just in case, and
> curiosity may well kill this cat, but at least I may die laughing, and
> cats have 9 lives.
>
> Steve

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Master_Mirage

Steve-28 wrote
Personally, as someone new to OpenSim, running a single sim on a home
server for around a month now that I deliberately setup with Ubuntu
server specifically for the sim, and using the OSGrid release of OpenSim
(0.6.9 (Dev)), I'm looking forward to April 1, just to see what happens :)

I will, of course, ensure I have backed up in advance, just in case, and
curiosity may well kill this cat, but at least I may die laughing, and
cats have 9 lives.

Steve
WTG steve and welcome to opensimulator :)
I been at it awhile now and this is nothing to worry about.
Have fun with it, thats the point.
Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: Warning, one month Warning

John Mieske
Ok I have asked John Ward to leave me alone and I have stopped replying to OpenSim about this as per Jason's requests.. And John Ward keeps emailing me saying this crap :

John Ward <[hidden email]>  Says :

"I will do as I see fit.  All email messages from me to you have been replies and not original personal emails.  I will give you a tip.  If you STFU or just go away I will have no reason to contact you.

selah"

NOW this is becoming personal and I have already contacted the University in California about this !
If the crap doesn't stop, I will press legal matters into this !

John

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Master_Mirage <[hidden email]> wrote:

Steve-28 wrote:

> Personally, as someone new to OpenSim, running a single sim on a home
> server for around a month now that I deliberately setup with Ubuntu
> server specifically for the sim, and using the OSGrid release of OpenSim
> (0.6.9 (Dev)), I'm looking forward to April 1, just to see what happens :)
>
> I will, of course, ensure I have backed up in advance, just in case, and
> curiosity may well kill this cat, but at least I may die laughing, and
> cats have 9 lives.
>
> Steve

WTG steve and welcome to opensimulator :)
I been at it awhile now and this is nothing to worry about.
Have fun with it, thats the point.
:-)

John Mieske / Winword Exonar
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Darren Williams-2

So what do we want to know about this for? This is the opensim mailing list. Can you please not make Justin have to moderate it which will cause delays.

Steve-28 wrote:

> Personally, as someone new to OpenSim, running a single sim on a home
> server for around a month now that I deliberately setup with Ubuntu
> server specifically for the sim, and using the OSGrid release of OpenSim
> (0.6.9 (Dev)), I'm looking forward to April 1, just to see what happens :)
>
> I will, of course, ensure I have backed up in advance, just in case, and
> curiosity may well kill this cat, but at least I may die laughing, and
> cats have 9 lives.
>
> Steve

WTG steve and welcome to opensimulator :)
I been at it awhile now and this is nothing to worry about.
Have fun with it, thats the point.
:-)

John Mieske / Winword Exonar
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Tedd Hansen-2

It’s already moderated :P

Your mail to 'Opensim-users' with the subject

    RE: [Opensim-users] Warning, one month Warning

The reason it is being held:

    Message body is too big: 136682 bytes with a limit of 40 KB

Steve-28 wrote:

> Personally, as someone new to OpenSim, running a single sim on a home
> server for around a month now that I deliberately setup with Ubuntu
> server specifically for the sim, and using the OSGrid release of OpenSim
> (0.6.9 (Dev)), I'm looking forward to April 1, just to see what happens :)
>
> I will, of course, ensure I have backed up in advance, just in case, and
> curiosity may well kill this cat, but at least I may die laughing, and
> cats have 9 lives.
>
> Steve

WTG steve and welcome to opensimulator :)
I been at it awhile now and this is nothing to worry about.
Have fun with it, thats the point.
:-)

John Mieske / Winword Exonar
http://johnmieske.org
Space Grid Station

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Dr Scofield
On 03/04/2010 09:00 PM, Steve wrote:
> Personally, as someone new to OpenSim, running a single sim on a home
> server for around a month now that I deliberately setup with Ubuntu
> server specifically for the sim, and using the OSGrid release of OpenSim
> (0.6.9 (Dev)), I'm looking forward to April 1, just to see what happens :)
>
> I will, of course, ensure I have backed up in advance, just in case, and
> curiosity may well kill this cat, but at least I may die laughing, and
> cats have 9 lives.

a backup is always a very good idea --- however, i'd like to point out that NONE
of the OpenSim april 1 jokes caused data loss --- and was usually coded in such
a way as to go away by itself on april 2 (your avatar might have looked a bit
weird but only on april 1, or an bot-avatar might have told you to leave your
region and claim it was his)

OpenSim april 1 jokes are harmless, might be surprising, but never intend to
cause damage.

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Dan Schneppenheim
I look forward to any that may happen in my grid.

On Mar 10, 2010, at 10:59 AM, Dr Scofield wrote:

> On 03/04/2010 09:00 PM, Steve wrote:
>> Personally, as someone new to OpenSim, running a single sim on a home
>> server for around a month now that I deliberately setup with Ubuntu
>> server specifically for the sim, and using the OSGrid release of OpenSim
>> (0.6.9 (Dev)), I'm looking forward to April 1, just to see what happens :)
>>
>> I will, of course, ensure I have backed up in advance, just in case, and
>> curiosity may well kill this cat, but at least I may die laughing, and
>> cats have 9 lives.
>
> a backup is always a very good idea --- however, i'd like to point out that NONE
> of the OpenSim april 1 jokes caused data loss --- and was usually coded in such
> a way as to go away by itself on april 2 (your avatar might have looked a bit
> weird but only on april 1, or an bot-avatar might have told you to leave your
> region and claim it was his)
>
> OpenSim april 1 jokes are harmless, might be surprising, but never intend to
> cause damage.
>

> --
> dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
> SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
> RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Teravus Ovares
Just a FYI,

I'm going to stick to my commitment last year and not do an April 1st
joke myself this year.    That doesn't stop another developer from
doing one though.    So, for any mission critical implementations, be
sure you're using a 'Release' version.

Regards

Teravus

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Dr Scofield <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03/04/2010 09:00 PM, Steve wrote:
>> Personally, as someone new to OpenSim, running a single sim on a home
>> server for around a month now that I deliberately setup with Ubuntu
>> server specifically for the sim, and using the OSGrid release of OpenSim
>> (0.6.9 (Dev)), I'm looking forward to April 1, just to see what happens :)
>>
>> I will, of course, ensure I have backed up in advance, just in case, and
>> curiosity may well kill this cat, but at least I may die laughing, and
>> cats have 9 lives.
>
> a backup is always a very good idea --- however, i'd like to point out that NONE
> of the OpenSim april 1 jokes caused data loss --- and was usually coded in such
> a way as to go away by itself on april 2 (your avatar might have looked a bit
> weird but only on april 1, or an bot-avatar might have told you to leave your
> region and claim it was his)
>
> OpenSim april 1 jokes are harmless, might be surprising, but never intend to
> cause damage.
>

> --
> dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
> SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
> RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Re: Warning, one month Warning

Karen Palen
For what its worth, I am installing a copy of the HEAD revision (using a separate database!) just to see what develops. :-)

In other development efforts that I have seen the April1 "version" is often well worth the wait.

Bring it on folks!

Oh yes I do plan to do some testing on it too :-)

Karen