What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

123

What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

Robert Klein
All,

I have noticed there are several seperate threads trying to deal with this subject. How about we roll it under this one thread to make it easier to follow? The problem is we have and will have a ton of oar files to share and need a solid way to accomplish it other than clogging up a wiki server. Mirrors? Bit torrent? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

-Robert

Re: What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

Mo Hax
Ok, another thread never hurts I suppose. ;)

Agreed no wikis for content sharing ultimately.

I agree with others forge is the place.

Are we in agreement that OARs are the standard? Don't they represent entire regions?

The standard workflow, then, seems to be becoming that every grid have an OAR landing pad that gets wiped and redone for each OAR import as content is moved into other locations on that grid. Did I get that right? Someday a client side way to do the same would be nice, but Second Inventory seems to have that locked up at the moment, although I would love to reduce our dependence on it.

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

All,

I have noticed there are several seperate threads trying to deal with this
subject. How about we roll it under this one thread to make it easier to
follow? The problem is we have and will have a ton of oar files to share and
need a solid way to accomplish it other than clogging up a wiki server.
Mirrors? Bit torrent? What are your thoughts? Thanks!

-Robert

Mo Hax
http://imohax.com/about

Re: What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

Frisby, Adam

Well, the OAR doesn’t have to be entire regions – it’s basically a archive file (targz) containing:

-          An XML file for each object

-          All associated assets

There’s no reason why the number of XML files has to match the entire region, I believe being able to seamlessly import these without a wipe probably makes some sense.

Adam

Re: What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

Mo Hax
I have heard of this and am only experimenting now with it, but doesn't that imply some cleanup of the output from a save-oar against an entire region? Even if that region has nothing in it but the new items you have built? and are targetting for later sharing as OAR.

This also raises a best-practice question about the amount of content to generally put in an OAR in any sharing site. OARs could be as granular as one per, say, sofa, or as broad as one per city block.

Perhaps that is something that does not lend itself to convention and should just be left up to the content provider, but it seems to me the more granular the content contained in the OAR package the more consumable they become overall.

I have always dreamed of something of an SL Xchange site where people could search out such packaged (OAR) content, view a few snapshots of it, and click a button to download it, even load it into their opensim directly. Someday it will come one way or another. Funny, if XStreet allowed file upload and download and PayPal payment as well as just Linden it could almost serve that purpose right now and we could have a content 'mall' to piggy back for even for-sale content as well.

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Frisby, Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well, the OAR doesn't have to be entire regions – it's basically a archive file (targz) containing:

-          An XML file for each object

-          All associated assets

There's no reason why the number of XML files has to match the entire region, I believe being able to seamlessly import these without a wipe probably makes some sense.

Adam

Re: What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

Robert Klein
Mic mentioned on the other thread about Cable Beach (http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/assetserver/) but I haven't had a chance to investigate it yet. Please take a look when you get a chance. Seems like using oar files can be a bit bulky in the long run particularly as Mo mentioned from a granular level. Adam has a point too, the oars contain XML files, assets, and objects directories. There must be some simple tool for importing and exporting.

-Robert

<quote author="Mo Hax">
[...]

Ideia Boa
We are working on something like SLExchange, now we are doing tests and everything is ok
More same days and we give newa about it

Mo Hax wrote:
[...]

ideiaboa.vcf (284 bytes) Download Attachment
Best regards
Ideia Boa
www.WorldSimTerra.com

Re: What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

Robert Klein
Has anyone checked these pages out?
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Library_Importing
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Assets_generator

-Robert

Ideia Boa wrote
We are working on something like SLExchange, now we are doing tests and
everything is ok
More same days and we give newa about it

Re: What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

Margie Baxley
Hello, I'm looking for a sliding door script for opensim.  Is there a place where I can find scripts that work in opensim?

thank you

Re: What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

John Sheridan
Look up the wiki for llSetPos.  If I'm not mistaken that function works
and you should be able to cobble something out that will slide the door
from one position to another and back on touch. :)

Robert Klein wrote:
> Has anyone checked these pages out?
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Library_Importing
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Assets_generator

These pages are for setting up the 'OpenSim Library'.  This is a separate topic from that of region archive files.

> -Robert
>

> Ideia Boa wrote:
>> We are working on something like SLExchange, now we are doing tests and
>> everything is ok
>> More same days and we give newa about it

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Mo Hax wrote:
> I have heard of this and am only experimenting now with it, but doesn't
> that imply some cleanup of the output from a save-oar against an entire
> region? Even if that region has nothing in it but the new items you have
> built? and are targetting for later sharing as OAR.
>
> This also raises a best-practice question about the amount of content to
> generally put in an OAR in any sharing site. OARs could be as granular
> as one per, say, sofa, or as broad as one per city block.

I would anticipate that something as small as a sofa would be transported as an inventory item rather than as part of a
region (which might still be suitable for city blocks).  Indeed, there is experimental code for an inventory archive
format that I intend to do something with fairly soon.

As Robert said, OAR files are bulky.  To some extent this is a tradeoff of convenience against file size.  If all the
necessary assets weren't contained in the oar then they would need to be requested over the web.  There is a certain
inconvenience in making assets publicly available.  It's also not ideal if you want to keep those assets private between
yourself and some trusted receivers.

However, the advantages are probably great enough for a way for an asset service to request assets dynamically via urls
to evolve in the future.  These urls would probably be embedded in the object url so that one could just toss xml files
about (though I think there are still good reasons for bundling multiple objects to gether).  Indeed, Cable Beach may
already be anticipating this.  I would anticipate that this alternative would supplement archives rather than replace them.

> Perhaps that is something that does not lend itself to convention and
> should just be left up to the content provider, but it seems to me the
> more granular the content contained in the OAR package the more
> consumable they become overall.
>
> I have always dreamed of something of an SL Xchange site where people
> could search out such packaged (OAR) content, view a few snapshots of
> it, and click a button to download it, even load it into their opensim
> directly. Someday it will come one way or another. Funny, if XStreet
> allowed file upload and download and PayPal payment as well as just
> Linden it could almost serve that purpose right now and we could have a
> content 'mall' to piggy back for even for-sale content as well.
>
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Frisby, Adam <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Well, the OAR doesn't have to be entire regions – it's basically a
>     archive file (targz) containing:
>

>     -          An XML file for each object
>
>     -          All associated assets
>

>     There's no reason why the number of XML files has to match the
>     entire region, I believe being able to seamlessly import these
>     without a wipe probably makes some sense.
>

>     Adam
>

>     *From:* [hidden email]

Short Term Idea:
What about creating a single region on the OSGrid that everyone can put their creations on and the person who owns the region can simply dump an OAR file out once a week and place it where we can all get to it? Kind of like a contribution sandbox. Again we still need to figure out WHERE to keep the files but it might be a good start.

Long Term Idea:
The same kind of region or regions as mentioned above, but as Justin mentions (once he finishes the code), you just click on a box of items and they get saved in some kind of OAR format minimized to just the parcel you were standing on, or some other method as yet to be determined. This would not require a file server but rather the region simulator acts as its own kind of file server.

-Robert

Justin Clark-Casey wrote
Mo Hax wrote:
> I have heard of this and am only experimenting now with it, but doesn't
> that imply some cleanup of the output from a save-oar against an entire
> region? Even if that region has nothing in it but the new items you have
> built? and are targetting for later sharing as OAR.
>
> This also raises a best-practice question about the amount of content to
> generally put in an OAR in any sharing site. OARs could be as granular
> as one per, say, sofa, or as broad as one per city block.

I would anticipate that something as small as a sofa would be transported as an inventory item rather than as part of a
region (which might still be suitable for city blocks).  Indeed, there is experimental code for an inventory archive
format that I intend to do something with fairly soon.

As Robert said, OAR files are bulky.  To some extent this is a tradeoff of convenience against file size.  If all the
necessary assets weren't contained in the oar then they would need to be requested over the web.  There is a certain
inconvenience in making assets publicly available.  It's also not ideal if you want to keep those assets private between
yourself and some trusted receivers.

However, the advantages are probably great enough for a way for an asset service to request assets dynamically via urls
to evolve in the future.  These urls would probably be embedded in the object url so that one could just toss xml files
about (though I think there are still good reasons for bundling multiple objects to gether).  Indeed, Cable Beach may
already be anticipating this.  I would anticipate that this alternative would supplement archives rather than replace them.

Re: What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

Ideia Boa
Everybody can use the "Lusitania Tester" region on WorldsimTerra-Grid, like Robert ask, and I'll do every week
a  OAR  and put the file for download  on the site.  If  everybody accept the  offer.

Ideia Boa
www.WorldSimTerra.com

Re: What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

Robert Klein
Thanks Ideia! Sounds like a great offer. Where are you planning on putting the OAR files? What does everyone think?

-Robert

Ideia Boa wrote
accept the  offer.

Re: What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

Robert Klein
Any status on this? Ideia have you decided on where you are going to put the files?

-Robert

Robert Klein wrote

accept the  offer.

Re: What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

Ideia Boa
Excuse the delay in responding, but I got a huge flu.
The archives OAR of the region "Lusitania Tester" will be placed on the site WorldSimTerra-Grid (www.worldsimterra.com) in Avatar Toolbox and tab" Download OAR "every Sunday after the 21:00 UTC. Even if not nothing new the file will be placed on the site. The first file will be posted Sunday February 15, 2009

Ideia Boa
www.WorldSimTerra.com

Re: What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

Robert Klein
Thank you Ideia and I am so sorry you have had this terrible flu. Everyone I know has been getting it including my children and it is horrible. Please don't stress about this and get well.

-Robert

Ideia Boa wrote
Sunday February 15, 2009

Re: What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

Ideia Boa
Remember that the tab "Avatar Tolbox" is accessible only to those who have registered on the site of WorldSimTerra-Grid
Ideia Boa wrote
Excuse the delay in responding, but I got a huge flu. The archives OAR of the region "Lusitania Tester" will be placed on the site WorldSimTerra-Grid (www.worldsimterra.com) in Avatar Toolbox and tab" Download OAR "every Sunday after the 21:00 UTC. Even if not nothing new the file will be placed on the site. The first file will be posted Sunday February 15, 2009 Robert Klein wrote: > Any status on this? Ideia have you decided on where you are going to put the > files? > > -Robert > > > Robert Klein wrote: > >> Thanks Ideia! Sounds like a great offer. Where are you planning on putting >> the OAR files? What does everyone think? >> >> -Robert >> >> >> Ideia Boa wrote: >> >>> Everybody can use the "Lusitania Tester" region on WorldsimTerra-Grid, >>> like Robert ask, and I'll do every week >>> a OAR and put the file for download on the site. If everybody >>> accept the offer. >>> >>> >> > > begin:vcard fn:Ideia Boa n:Boa;Ideia note;quoted-printable:Best regards,=0D=0A= Ideia Boa=0D=0A= WorldSimTerra=0D=0A= =0D=0A= Join the new 3D world revolution : http://www.worldsimterra.com/ x-mozilla-html:TRUE url:http://www.worldsimterra.com version:2.1 end:vcard _______________________________________________ Opensim-users mailing list Opensim-users@lists.berlios.de https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Best regards
Ideia Boa
www.WorldSimTerra.com

User Server issues with 8236

lordofpleasure
I'm running in grid mode on various dedicated servers, All Win 2003.

All the individual regions/ servers updated from 8131 to 8236 great. No issues that I could see BUT,
When I tried to update the actual grid servers the user server balked me.

First it wouldn't run, would crash as soon as it tried to initiate the first set of plug ins so I downloaded a fresh copy, extracted, fixed my ini. file fresh and everything started up fine BUT

I can't log in. Couldn't authenticate my avatar. I tried several accounts and none would authenticate.

Chcked the user server string, and in fact all the server strings, and everything is right but it seems the user server just isn't talking to the database. Any suggestions?

The grid servers are running on a Celeron 1.8 ghz Win 2003 server with only 1 region sharing the server.

Phoenix Blaze

Re: What are some solutions for oar file sharing?

Ideia Boa
I made a message on the wiki OpenSimulator with instructions to download the OAR file from the region "Lusitania Tester" on WorldSimTerra-Grid website (www.worlsimterra.com).
These Downloads are available for all who wish to purchase items for free from other community members OpenSim.
All OpenSim community members who own items are invited to place in the "Lusitania Tester" region, in the WorldSimTerra-Grid, the objects they intend to share freely with all other community members OpenSim
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Archives#OAR_file_from_.22Lusitania_Tester.22_for_all