What is the best way to manage asset cache on an OSgrid set of regions

What is the best way to manage asset cache on an OSgrid set of regions

tringate
I run three servers each have a few instances of opensim running on them and all of the regions are on OSgrid.

I have a common asset cache  for each servers, that all the instances use.  Maybe that is not a good idea, but I thought it might help keep it’s size
smaller than every instance having it’s own asset cache.

Up to now I have not expired any items in the cache.  Yes, they are massive in size.

I have been thinking about having one instance expire the cache and using a retention time of 48 hours.

Is that a good or bad idea?

I do have a fair amount of activity on each server as I run free home sites for many OSgrid users.

I am wondering a few things:

- Is running a single cache for several instances of opensim a good or bad idea?
- Is not expiring the cache a good or bad idea?
- Can one instance do the expiring of the cache for all instances since they all share the same cache?

Tom

Re: What is the best way to manage asset cache on an OSgrid set of regions

AJLDuarte
Hi,
        A) yes it is good idea to share assets cache
        B and C)
        Cache will grow for ever taking 2 much disk space possible with useless entries.
        Using one instance to do expires is a option, it will even try to not delete assets in use, but just on that instance, so not that useful in this case, just waste of cpu.
        Using a external tool (both windows cmd and bash have usable commands) to delete files modified long ago is another option.
        Wrong deletes should not be a major issue, assuming all assets are on grid databases, if not you are in trouble anyways :)
Regards,
Ubit

Re: What is the best way to manage asset cache onan OSgrid set of regions

tringate
Ubit,

Thanks for the information.  It gives me the needed information to set up a
"trim" function from cron nightly.

I have one additional question, is an asset's modified date updated by
opensim if it uses the asset or does it remain the date it was downloaded
from the asset server once it is placed in the cache?

Reason I ask is to better understand if cache is more for an immediate
experience for a user on their present login, or, if it is intended to speed
things up for days after an asset was loaded.  I'm trying to understand the
"hit" on the OSgrid asset server of reloading the same assets day after day.

I usually see messages when getting things from the grids asset server of
long load times in the 5 to 6 second range.

Tom

Re: What is the best way to manage asset cache onan OSgrid set of regions

AJLDuarte
Yes, floatsam cache does update the files using
        File.SetLastAccessTime(filename, DateTime.Now);