What should I do to play videos on opensim

What should I do to play videos on opensim

mammoloji
Hello everybody,

I need your help. I want to play the youtube or other videos on my opensim. To do so, What am I supposed to do ?

thanks

Re: What should I do to play videos on opensim

Fleep Tuque
The simple answer is if you want to be able to show videos on websites like YouTube, you need to be on an Opensim grid that has Media on a Prim enabled in its opensim.ini configuration, and you and your users need to use a viewer that supports Media on a Prim and have media enabled in the viewer in order to see the videos.  Firestorm and other v3 based viewers should all have this feature.

To set the video/webpage display itself, rez a prim and in edit mode:
- click the "Select Face" radio button
- Select the face of the prim where you want the video to display
- Click the Texture tab of the edit window
- Click the small plus sign (+) in the lower right corner of the texture tab
- Enter the URL of the video/webpage you want to display and any other setting/config options

You and any of your users will only see the webpage option if you are on a viewer that supports media on a prim and that has media enabled in the viewer settings.  Also note that you can only show one media enabled texture per land parcel, so if you want to show multiple videos, you will need to parcel the land accordingly.

The more complicated answer if you are not on an Opensim grid with Media on a Prim enabled, or if you and your users are not using a v3 based viewer, is to use the land parcel streaming settings. See this page for more information http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Streaming_Video_in_Second_Life.  The same information applies to Opensim.

Good luck and let us know if you run into any trouble.

Sincerely,

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 5:09 AM, mammoloji <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everybody,

I need your help. I want to play the youtube or other videos on my opensim.
To do so, What am I supposed to do ?

thanks

Re: What should I do to play videos on opensim

Miller, Peter

Moap only uses parcel media with Imprudence 1.4. With a version 3 viewer like Zen or Kokua you should be able to drag and drop a media URL from your web browser onto a prim and have it play. The downside is that audio is non-spatial, at least on 0.7.3 on Kitely.

You can edit the URL to watch in popup mode http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=

(just add id)

Best wishes

Peter