When is the modrex module gonna find its way in opensim ?

When is the modrex module gonna find its way in opensim ?

M.E. Verhagen
Does anyone know when the modrex module will be added to the opensim trunk ?

Re: When is the modrex module gonna find its way in opensim ?

Toni Alatalo
marcel verhagen kirjoitti:
> Does anyone know when the modrex module will be added to the opensim
> trunk ?

possibly never, but it already works with opensim trunk as what the name
says: a module. development will continue both on the module side and
with refactoring the core opensim i hope.

the first official rexserver version using unmodified current opensim &
modrex was release on tuesday this week, see realxtend.org for more.

~Toni

Re: When is the modrex module gonna find its way in opensim ?

mw-2
With all likelyhood the answer is never.

The trunk isn't meant to contain all the different modules for all possible uses of opensim. We actually want to go in the other direction and in time move some of the modules that are currently in the trunk out onto the forge.

The general idea of the opensim project is for it to be just a core platform that various uses/solutions can be built around. But not to provide all those solutions in one self contained project. There are so many different uses that we hope people will in time use opensim for that, we just can't provide one generic out of the box solution for them.

What we most likely will see in time, is a opensim installer that can display a list of what modules are available for opensim and then if the user wants to use a module, the installer could download it and install it automatically.

Does anyone know when the modrex module will be added to the opensim trunk ?

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: When is the modrex module gonna find its way in opensim ?

Jeroen van Veen
Although it seems to me that it's good for both software projects that modrex
has become a module, wouldn't it be much more efficient if there would be a
discussion about what longterm strategy an OpenSim viewer should go? I can't
imagine OpenSim relying on the sl-viewer for another year. Considering the
licensing philosophy behind OpenSim, RealXtend-ng would be a natural candidate
to become the new standard viewer for OpenSim.

Cheers,

Jeroen