Which database?

Ethan Grammatikidis
Hullo!  I'm thinking of running a little grid again.  I intend to run it on Linux or FreeBSD.  I had good results with MySQL in the past, but I recall someone saying another database was much better.  I've forgotten the name of this other database already, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

--
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer

Re: Which database?

Haravikk

> On 5 Aug 2018, at 20:48, Ethan A. Gardener <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hullo!  I'm thinking of running a little grid again.  I intend to run it on Linux or FreeBSD.  I had good results with MySQL in the past, but I recall someone saying another database was much better.  I've forgotten the name of this other database already, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Possibly MariaDB? It's what I use 99% of the time as it's a complete drop-in replacement for MySQL with all the same features and better overall performance, plus some neat extra features, though not any I think OpenSim can use (but would love to be corrected if it can!).

Any experience using MySQL is fully applicable to MariaDB, and unless you do anything complex you should notice no difference in terms of how you set it up etc., it even installs the same commands by default, i.e- you can access MariaDB's client with the mysql command, you can backup using mysqldump etc.

Re: Which database?

Dan Drinnon
I've had success running opensim grid on FreeBSD 11.2 for the past 6 months
or so.  The setup works and is stable with the latest FreeBSD packages -
mono, libgdiplus, openjpeg, cmake automake, libtool, gmake, gcc, apache24,
php56, mod_php56, php56-xmlrpc, php56-curl and php56-mysqli.  Any of the
MySQL's will work, I use Percona because it seems to have the best
performance.  It gets complicated if you want to use non-defaults as you
will have to set preferences in make.conf and build your own ports.  But,
out of the box, all the above packages will work.   With FreeBSD, you will
need to use upODE physics and recompile Libode.so.  You will also need to
build libopenjpeg-dotnet.  Complete instructions are here:
https://wiki.datapanic.com/wiki/OpenSim_0.9.0_on_FreeBSD_11.1  These
instructions also work for OpenSim 0.9.0.1 and FreeBSD 11.2.

On Sun, Aug 5, 2018, at 9:27 PM, Haravikk wrote:

> > On 5 Aug 2018, at 20:48, Ethan A. Gardener <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hullo!  I'm thinking of running a little grid again.  I intend to run it on Linux or FreeBSD.  I had good results with MySQL in the past, but I recall someone saying another database was much better.  I've forgotten the name of this other database already, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.
>
> Possibly MariaDB? It's what I use 99% of the time as it's a complete
> drop-in replacement for MySQL with all the same features and better
> overall performance, plus some neat extra features, though not any I
> think OpenSim can use (but would love to be corrected if it can!).
>
> Any experience using MySQL is fully applicable to MariaDB, and unless
> you do anything complex you should notice no difference in terms of how
> you set it up etc., it even installs the same commands by default, i.e-
> you can access MariaDB's client with the mysql command, you can backup
> using mysqldump etc.

Thanks! I love drop-in replacements. :)

Re: Which database?

Ethan Grammatikidis
On Sun, Aug 5, 2018, at 10:25 PM, Dan Drinnon wrote:

> I've had success running opensim grid on FreeBSD 11.2 for the past 6 months
> or so.  The setup works and is stable with the latest FreeBSD packages -
> mono, libgdiplus, openjpeg, cmake automake, libtool, gmake, gcc, apache24,
> php56, mod_php56, php56-xmlrpc, php56-curl and php56-mysqli.  Any of the
> MySQL's will work, I use Percona because it seems to have the best
> performance.  It gets complicated if you want to use non-defaults as you
> will have to set preferences in make.conf and build your own ports.  But,
> out of the box, all the above packages will work.   With FreeBSD, you will
> need to use upODE physics and recompile Libode.so.  You will also need to
> build libopenjpeg-dotnet.  Complete instructions are here:
> https://wiki.datapanic.com/wiki/OpenSim_0.9.0_on_FreeBSD_11.1  These
> instructions also work for OpenSim 0.9.0.1 and FreeBSD 11.2.

Oh cool!  That also answers a few questions I hadn't got to yet.  I have one more to ask:  Does that remark about ODE mean I can't use Bullet?

Re: Which database?

Dan Drinnon
I wasn't able to get Bullet to compile on FreeBSD.

<[hidden email]> On Behalf Of Ethan A. Gardener
Sent: Monday, August 6, 2018 3:53 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Which database?

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018, at 5:28 PM, Dan Drinnon wrote:
> I wasn't able to get Bullet to compile on FreeBSD.

I see, thanks.  I may give it a go myself, but I'm not known for success in these matters.