Which grid is going to be the next official Opensimulator Test Grid?

Which grid is going to be the next official Opensimulator Test Grid?

Bartholomew Gallacher
Hello there,

in the light of some fundamental personal changes which happened during
the last few weeks in OSgrid, namely the head administration, there are
big changes going on and still underway, changing the atmosphere in
there at great lengths, since big parts of the user base have been
alienated by the administration.

Changes which already drove great parts of the well grown and
established community there out of the grid. Changes which made the
community suffering.

Changes, if they are still going on at that level and if the resulting
drain continues, could render OSgrid finally useless as official
testgrid for Opensimulator because of a mostly non existant user base then.

So my simple question is: which grid is going to be the next official
test grid for Opensimulator just in case OSgrid is going to run further
down the hill quite as it alrady has done? Or are there going to be more
official test grids in the future at the same time?

Greetings,
Bart

Re: Which grid is going to be the next official Opensimulator Test Grid?

InuYasha Meiji
Um, I so feel like I am about to fall into some kind of hole here, but I
for one don't have any idea of what you speak of.  I am probably out of
the loop on this one.  I am still building up my assets for my own
separate grid.  The only reason I have decided a long time ago I wanted
a grid scaled to realistic height, Asian, and in a specific time
period.  I met many people interested in my grid and will come take a
look and hoping it will be their second home.  OSGrid has always been
the place I have logged into just to see how well the next version of
Opensim is running before I work so hard to upgrade to the next version.

Being that I am not on Hypergrid or using Opensim to connect to the
OSGrid asset service, I haven't noticed any administrative issues.  I
would appreciate hearing why you feel this way.  If it is lack of
regions and or people, it might be because many are currently attempting
to upgrade to the new newer version and haven't had time to get
reconnected.

Just my two cents worth.

Yuukyuu/InuYasha

On 2/12/2013 5:36 AM, Bartholomew Gallacher wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> in the light of some fundamental personal changes which happened
> during the last few weeks in OSgrid, namely the head administration,
> there are big changes going on and still underway, changing the
> atmosphere in there at great lengths, since big parts of the user base
> have been alienated by the administration.
>
> Changes which already drove great parts of the well grown and
> established community there out of the grid. Changes which made the
> community suffering.
>
> Changes, if they are still going on at that level and if the resulting
> drain continues, could render OSgrid finally useless as official
> testgrid for Opensimulator because of a mostly non existant user base
> then.
>
> So my simple question is: which grid is going to be the next official
> test grid for Opensimulator just in case OSgrid is going to run
> further down the hill quite as it alrady has done? Or are there going
> to be more official test grids in the future at the same time?
>
> Greetings,
> Bart

Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56 Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 user accounts so far).

Re: Which grid is going to be the next official Opensimulator Test Grid?

James Hughes
We will be holding OpenSim Office Hours on Wright Plaza each Tuesday at
the scheduled time.

-BlueWall

On 02/12/2013 05:36 AM, Bartholomew Gallacher wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> in the light of some fundamental personal changes which happened during
> the last few weeks in OSgrid, namely the head administration, there are
> big changes going on and still underway, changing the atmosphere in
> there at great lengths, since big parts of the user base have been
> alienated by the administration.
>
> Changes which already drove great parts of the well grown and
> established community there out of the grid. Changes which made the
> community suffering.
>
> Changes, if they are still going on at that level and if the resulting
> drain continues, could render OSgrid finally useless as official
> testgrid for Opensimulator because of a mostly non existant user base then.
>
> So my simple question is: which grid is going to be the next official
> test grid for Opensimulator just in case OSgrid is going to run further
> down the hill quite as it alrady has done? Or are there going to be more
> official test grids in the future at the same time?
>
> Greetings,
> Bart

Re: Which grid is going to be the next official Opensimulator Test Grid?

Robert L martin
speaking of setting up a grid is there a good current doc somewhere that gives the steps on how to setup a grid (or convert a simonastick to a full public grid)??

bonus points if somebody has a web interface with full control (creating regions setting terrain heightmaps ect)

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Sarge Misfit <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Vivox module question - enable echo back?

John Sheridan
Hi gang,

   I just got voice setup and running with Vivox and had a quick
question regarding configuration options.  Over in the evil alternate
universe (SL) there's a region called Voice Echo Canyon where users can
go to self adjust their own viewer voice settings. Mainly, when you
speak on mic your voice is echoed back to you. Would anyone happen to
know if there's an option in the Vivox module somewhere to enable a
similar echo-back for an OpenSim instance?

Thanks, :)

John Sheridan / Orion Pseudo
Pseudospace Virtual Worlds
HG (Middle): http://grid.pseudospace.net:8002/ellis

Re: Which grid is going to be the next official Opensimulator Test Grid?

The current wiki doc is [1] which should be valid for current OpenSimulator (and for some time in the past since the
basic architecture hasn't changed since 0.6.9).  However, this will only take you through setting up a bare bones grid
and not any kind of web interface as these are not bundled with OpenSimulator.

[1] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Configuration#Running_OpenSimulator_in_Grid_mode
On 12/02/13 15:11, Robert Martin wrote:

> speaking of setting up a grid is there a good current doc somewhere that gives the steps on how to setup a grid (or
> convert a simonastick to a full public grid)??
>
> bonus points if somebody has a web interface with full control (creating regions setting terrain heightmaps ect)
>

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Sarge Misfit <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I don't think that OSGrid will change from being the develop and test grid. But there may be a grid that comes
>     together as the main community grid.
>

>     On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 4:41 AM, James Hughes <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         We will be holding OpenSim Office Hours on Wright Plaza each Tuesday at the scheduled time.
>
>         -BlueWall
>

>         On 02/12/2013 05:36 AM, Bartholomew Gallacher wrote:
>
>             Hello there,
>
>             in the light of some fundamental personal changes which happened during
>             the last few weeks in OSgrid, namely the head administration, there are
>             big changes going on and still underway, changing the atmosphere in
>             there at great lengths, since big parts of the user base have been
>             alienated by the administration.
>
>             Changes which already drove great parts of the well grown and
>             established community there out of the grid. Changes which made the
>             community suffering.
>
>             Changes, if they are still going on at that level and if the resulting
>             drain continues, could render OSgrid finally useless as official
>             testgrid for Opensimulator because of a mostly non existant user base then.
>
>             So my simple question is: which grid is going to be the next official
>             test grid for Opensimulator just in case OSgrid is going to run further
>             down the hill quite as it alrady has done? Or are there going to be more
>             official test grids in the future at the same time?
>
>             Greetings,
>             Bart

> Robert L Martin

OSVW Consulting

Re: Vivox module question - enable echo back?

Interesting.  Unfortunately, there's no obvious switch for this in the Vivox module currently, let alone something that
would be user configurable.

However, I would imagine that this would be the place to turn it on, maybe a channel creation parameters in
VivoxVoiceModule.VivoxTryCreateChannel().  Unfortunately, I don't know if there is any public doc for the options that
Vivox will accept through their API.

On 12/02/13 19:59, John Sheridan wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
>    I just got voice setup and running with Vivox and had a quick question regarding configuration options.  Over in the
> evil alternate universe (SL) there's a region called Voice Echo Canyon where users can go to self adjust their own
> viewer voice settings. Mainly, when you speak on mic your voice is echoed back to you. Would anyone happen to know if
> there's an option in the Vivox module somewhere to enable a similar echo-back for an OpenSim instance?
>
> Thanks, :)
>
> John Sheridan / Orion Pseudo
> Pseudospace Virtual Worlds
> HG (Middle): http://grid.pseudospace.net:8002/ellis

OSVW Consulting

Re: Vivox module question - enable echo back?

InuYasha Meiji
Hey, I am happy to be able to use what Vivox gave us.  If we want things
available to us that vivox allows in SL then we might end up paying the
huge licencing fee that Vivox requires of SL to get those other
options.  I for one can't afford a change like that for my simple hobby
sized grid.

InuYasha.

On 2/13/2013 8:51 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> Interesting. Unfortunately, there's no obvious switch for this in the
> Vivox module currently, let alone something that would be user
> configurable.
>
> However, I would imagine that this would be the place to turn it on,
> maybe a channel creation parameters in
> VivoxVoiceModule.VivoxTryCreateChannel().  Unfortunately, I don't know
> if there is any public doc for the options that Vivox will accept
> through their API.
>
> On 12/02/13 19:59, John Sheridan wrote:
>> Hi gang,
>>
>>    I just got voice setup and running with Vivox and had a quick
>> question regarding configuration options.  Over in the
>> evil alternate universe (SL) there's a region called Voice Echo
>> Canyon where users can go to self adjust their own
>> viewer voice settings. Mainly, when you speak on mic your voice is
>> echoed back to you. Would anyone happen to know if
>> there's an option in the Vivox module somewhere to enable a similar
>> echo-back for an OpenSim instance?
>>
>> Thanks, :)
>>
>> John Sheridan / Orion Pseudo
>> Pseudospace Virtual Worlds
>> HG (Middle): http://grid.pseudospace.net:8002/ellis

Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56 Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 user accounts so far).

Re: Vivox module question - enable echo back?

Toni Alatalo-2
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 5:36 AM, InuYasha Meiji <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey, I am happy to be able to use what Vivox gave us.  If we want things available to us that vivox allows in SL then we might end up paying the huge licencing fee that Vivox requires of SL to get those other options.  I for one can't afford a change like that for my simple hobby sized grid.

I wouldn't think that is a risk really.

My assumption is that the licensing model that Vivox generously offers to Opensimulator users is based on the business model / type of usage and perhaps for using open source in general -- not mainly about a restricted featureset. I mean the difference is exactly that you have (more of a) hobby grid, whereas something like Linden with SL is a corporation running a commercial service .. not that in SL you can test audio settings which would be crippled with Opensimulator.

And even if there are features they reserve for paying customers, I'd imagine that giving a nice simple way to test voice is not among them but something that is good to have always available to make Vivox usable, is elementary I think that voice settings and quality etc. can be tested.

I guess the case is simply that you need to setup such a service somehow, have the behaviour with the loopback audio implemented .. exactly what Justin was after with setting up channels and wondering about the API they provide.

So I'd also just ask them .. or study the API if they have something suitable.

InuYasha.

~Toni
BTW: thanks for the reminder, I've always really liked the Echo Canyon .. and we currently don't have it implemented with the Mumble plugin that's used with Tundra in realXtend. There is a audio settings wizard GUI which has a local loopback for setting mic level etc. but I think a service for testing the audio over the net, which the Echo Canyon and Skype test call do, would be good too. That voice impl is quite decent nowadays, is good I think that there's also an open source option as well even though Vivox is good and friendly (and with Tundra we don't currently have the option for Vivox anyways, might be interesting if also that integration would exist but AFAIK we'll be just using mumble/murmur .. there's sometimes been talk of Skype etc integrations though as they also have an SDK & API nowadays).

@Nebadon - I have but they stated that they don't provide support for OpenSim and suggested that I ask on the list.
@InuYasha - After hearing back from the Vivox support rep I didn't get the impression that this was a high level (paid) feature.  Its likely just a configurations witch somewhere along the line.
@Justin and Toni - I'll have to do some digging around to see if I can find an API reference for Vivox.  If its available I'll gladly do some poking around in the module to see if I can add in a configuration flag.

Thanks :)

John Sheridan / Orion Pseudo
Pseudospace Virtual Worlds
(HG Middle) grid.pseudospace.net:8002:Ellis Island