Which ports need to be opened?

William Magee
I have developed a Tibetan-language classroom on a Diva megaregion
which now needs to be opened to the world so I can use it for
teaching. I am currently running behind a firewall. My IT people
cannot so far make it accessible from outside the campus. They feel
that OpenSim may need certain ports to be opened besides 8002.

Can anyone tell me which ports must be opened? Sorry if I have the
jargon wrong, I am technically ignorant in this area.

By the way, if anyone would like an oar of my Tibetan language
classroom I would be happy to post it for downloading. It was
developed with the help of a grant from the Taiwan National Science
Council.

Cheers,
Bill

Re: Which ports need to be opened?

Karen_Palen
Hi,

I think you need to open the 9000 series ports - I have opened 9000 through 9010 and it seems to work nicely.

I run 4 regions with diva-r11651.

The minimum should be 9000, 9001, 9002, and 9003 (as specified out in ~/diva-r11651/bin/Regions/RegionConfig.ini ).

I opened all 11 to allow for experimentation and hypergrids.

As for posting your oar file, more content is always welcome!

Unfortunately the indexing of shared content is not very complete at present. There is a wiki entry at: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Free_Assets which seems to have most of the references, but I think there is at least one effort under way to produce a central repository as well.

You can edit the wiki by setting up an account to add the description and URL of whatever you upload.

I hope to share some content myself someday, but so far I am busy getting things like bots working as NPCs (Non Player Characters) for my role play sim.

Karen
> which now needs to be opened to the world so I can use it
> for
> teaching. I am currently running behind a firewall. My IT
> people
> cannot so far make it accessible from outside the campus.
> They feel
> that OpenSim may need certain ports to be opened besides
> 8002.
>
> Can anyone tell me which ports must be opened? Sorry if I
> have the
> jargon wrong, I am technically ignorant in this area.
>
> By the way, if anyone would like an oar of my Tibetan
> language
> classroom I would be happy to post it for downloading. It
> was
> developed with the help of a grant from the Taiwan National
> Science
> Council.
>
> Cheers,
> Bill

Re: Which ports need to be opened?

William Magee
Thanks Karen. I will tell the IT folks.

When l post my oar I will mention it again here on this list.

Cheers,
Bill

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think you need to open the 9000 series ports - I have opened 9000 through 9010 and it seems to work nicely.
>
> I run 4 regions with diva-r11651.
>
> The minimum should be 9000, 9001, 9002, and 9003 (as specified out in ~/diva-r11651/bin/Regions/RegionConfig.ini ).
>
> I opened all 11 to allow for experimentation and hypergrids.
>
> As for posting your oar file, more content is always welcome!
>
> Unfortunately the indexing of shared content is not very complete at present. There is a wiki entry at: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Free_Assets which seems to have most of the references, but I think there is at least one effort under way to produce a central repository as well.
>
> You can edit the wiki by setting up an account to add the description and URL of whatever you upload.
>
> I hope to share some content myself someday, but so far I am busy getting things like bots working as NPCs (Non Player Characters) for my role play sim.
>
> Karen

You may not have the 9000 port series specified in the RegionConfig.ini file, whatever you have in there should be what you use! I haven't tried it, but I think you can specify just about any unused port. Just make sure that each region has a unique port.

Don't forget to add a comment in the wiki about the oar file too!

Karen

> [...]
> >> teaching. I am currently running behind a
> firewall. My IT
> >> people
> >> cannot so far make it accessible from outside the
> campus.
> >> They feel
> >> that OpenSim may need certain ports to be opened
> besides
> >> 8002.
> >>
> >> Can anyone tell me which ports must be opened?
> Sorry if I
> >> have the
> >> jargon wrong, I am technically ignorant in this
> area.
> >>
> >> By the way, if anyone would like an oar of my
> Tibetan
> >> language
> >> classroom I would be happy to post it for
> downloading. It
> >> was
> >> developed with the help of a grant from the Taiwan

Will do. And thanks again for reminding us all to back up our
databases (which are located, on Ubuntu machines, at /var/lib/mysql).

:)

Cheers,

Bill
Dharma Drum Buddhist College
Taiwan

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 5:12 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You may not have the 9000 port series specified in the RegionConfig.ini file, whatever you have in there should be what you use! I haven't tried it, but I think you can specify just about any unused port. Just make sure that each region has a unique port.
>
> Don't forget to add a comment in the wiki about the oar file too!
>
> Karen

Robert Klein
Wow Bill that sounds like a very interesting build you are working on and I would love to check out the oar file too. Check this page for more info on the ports, http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim:Network_settings

-Robert

William Magee wrote

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 5:12 AM, Karen Palen <karen_palen@yahoo.com> wrote:
> You may not have the 9000 port series specified in the RegionConfig.ini file, whatever you have in there should be what you use! I haven't tried it, but I think you can specify just about any unused port. Just make sure that each region has a unique port.
>
> Don't forget to add a comment in the wiki about the oar file too!
>
> Karen

The problem is that /var/* is not normally included in backups!

Sigh.

Karen