Which tool to create buildings ?

Jack Morton
Hi all,

Which tool is the best for creating buildings ? can I use Blender ?
I'm under ubuntu 9.04

Best regards

Re: Which tool to create buildings ?

JaniP
Hi,

you can use meshes only with realxtend. Check this for more info: http://www.maxping.org/business/real-life/building-plans-become-immersive-with-visibuild.aspx

Jani

2009/5/15 Jack Morton <[hidden email]>
Hi all,

Which tool is the best for creating buildings ? can I use Blender ?
I'm under ubuntu 9.04

Best regards

Re: Which tool to create buildings ?

Lúthien Athariel
I would say that you can build buildings with the built-in build tool ... though it has its limitations.
It uses geometrical shapes which you can combine as you like into complex shapes; add textures, colour, transparency, reflectivity or even make to produce light. You can also make them flexible - though that is usually not a desired effect in buildings ...

Another approach to "create things" - which I have just learned about through this list - is to create "sculpted prims" in an external tool like Blender. It's suited for more natural, irregular shapes though. I was thinking of making boulders and such that way. Or think of architectural details that need to be truly 3D and cannot be emulated in textures.

I don't think that sculpted prims are really suited to create buildings with by themselves. For one thing, I have no idea whether you could make them "hollow" or even "physical" (so that you could walk on them) - but that is easy enough to find out.
You could, however, make interesting shapes in Blender, export them, import them in OpenSim and use or combine them in a building.

garo hîdh
- lúthien

2009/5/15 Jack Morton <[hidden email]>
Hi all,

Which tool is the best for creating buildings ? can I use Blender ?
I'm under ubuntu 9.04

Best regards

Re: Which tool to create buildings ?

Jack Morton
Thanx Lúthien Athariel :)

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 12:01 +0200, Lúthien Athariel wrote:
> I would say that you can build buildings with the built-in build
> tool ... though it has its limitations.
> It uses geometrical shapes which you can combine as you like into
> complex shapes; add textures, colour, transparency, reflectivity or
> even make to produce light. You can also make them flexible - though
> that is usually not a desired effect in buildings ...
>
> Another approach to "create things" - which I have just learned about
> through this list - is to create "sculpted prims" in an external tool
> like Blender. It's suited for more natural, irregular shapes though. I
> was thinking of making boulders and such that way. Or think of
> architectural details that need to be truly 3D and cannot be emulated
> in textures.
>
> I don't think that sculpted prims are really suited to create
> buildings with by themselves. For one thing, I have no idea whether
> you could make them "hollow" or even "physical" (so that you could
> walk on them) - but that is easy enough to find out.
> You could, however, make interesting shapes in Blender, export them,
> import them in OpenSim and use or combine them in a building.
>

> garo hîdh
> - lúthien
>

> 2009/5/15 Jack Morton <[hidden email]>
>         Hi all,
>
>         Which tool is the best for creating buildings ? can I use
>         Blender ?
>         I'm under ubuntu 9.04
>
>         Best regards

Re: Which tool to create buildings ?