Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system?

Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system?

Opensimfan
Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system?
and how is this going?

with me, when i load a large amount of prims inworld with a oar file,
opensim crashes without writing the crash to opensim.log... (so i can't show you)

but..
Windows error reporting makes crash reports. if you want to see them, let me know...
they don't tell you much (i think) but its better than nothing...

OpenSimFan
(André)
OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system?

Fleep Tuque
I'm running opensim on a Windows 64bit system and overall it seems to work ok.  I recently had an issue with intermittent system crashing after loading a large OAR file that turned out to be (most likely) an issue with Opensim running out of memory.

The solution was to separate out the regions into multiple opensim instances.

This problem occurred with the 0.7.2 release, but I understand the 0.7.3 release allows you to run opensim as a 64 bit process which takes better advantage of memory resources, so not sure which version you're running, but if you haven't upgraded to 0.7.3 yet, might try that and see if the issues persist.

Hope that helps!

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM, OpenSimFan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

could be the same issue, i'm running
OpenSimulator version: OpenSim 0.7.4 Dev,  6e7f13a (6e7f13a72d4e43f8ca564247e0b56bf5706bbdb1)

on  Microsoft Windows NT (Windows 7 Ultimate)  6.1.7601 Service Pack 1, .NET platform Win32NT, 64-bit.  This is my system: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2316634

Not sure if this is fixed in latest git-master, but i will keep testing...

André
OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system?

InuYasha Meiji
I am running Windows 7 x64 and the only problem I found is I may need a
memory upgrade.  It is running much better since 0.7.3, except one
little thing.  The new x64 ability allows it to use to much of my RAM.
I am one of those people running 2024sq of land.  So far no lag, and
only a couple of the regions with stuff built.  It I leave it alone
running only the one instance of opensim.exe it leaves me with 1011MB of
my 8GB.  I use Phoenix Firestorm when on my grid and that takes up a ton
too.  I run a small gadget on my desktop that watches my RAM.  With
Windows 7 x64 running and only those two items I get a warning telling
me I have only 500MB free.

I am a bit worried that one I start building on the other regions my
system will crash out with an out of memory error.  It has done that
already when I tried to open Firefox (The browser) while both opensim
and Phoenix Firestorm at the same time.  I am going to start saving for
one of those new AM3+ bulldozer 8 core, machines with a ASRock mobo that
can hold 32GB of ram, and hope my computer grows to fit the needs of
opensim.  This might take me a year or two.

I just wanted to help with my two cents on the new opensim 0.7.3.
running on Windows 7 x64.  I haven't yet tried uploading any OAR files.
But I have noticed being logged out for trying to fly from one end of my
2048sqm to the other.  Sometimes I make it, other times I don't.

Good luck.
InuYasha

On 4/3/2012 2:39 PM, Fleep Tuque wrote:

> I'm running opensim on a Windows 64bit system and overall it seems to
> work ok.  I recently had an issue with intermittent system crashing
> after loading a large OAR file that turned out to be (most likely) an
> issue with Opensim running out of memory.
>
> The full thread/discussion is at:
> http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/Intermittent-crashing-System-OutofMemoryException-td7281298.html
>

> The solution was to separate out the regions into multiple opensim
> instances.
>
> This problem occurred with the 0.7.2 release, but I understand the
> 0.7.3 release allows you to run opensim as a 64 bit process which
> takes better advantage of memory resources, so not sure which version
> you're running, but if you haven't upgraded to 0.7.3 yet, might try
> that and see if the issues persist.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> - Chris/Fleep
>

> Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
> Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
> UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
> University of Cincinnati
> 406A Zimmer Hall
> 315 College Drive
> PO BOX 210088
> Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> (513) 556-3018
>
> http://ucsim.uc.edu
>
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM, OpenSimFan <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system?
>     and how is this going?
>
>     with me, when i load a large amount of prims inworld with a oar file,
>     opensim crashes without writing the crash to opensim.log... (so i
>     can't show
>     you)
>
>     but..
>     Windows error reporting makes crash reports. if you want to see
>     them, let me
>     know...
>     they don't tell you much (i think) but its better than nothing...
>
>     OpenSimFan
>     (André)
>

>     -----
>     _________________________________________
>     OpenSimFan
>     My Opensim/Second Life Blog
>     http://verwijs.wordpress.com
>     (Dutch, basic hardware/software help  windows, Mac, Linux)
>     http://verwijs-pc.nl
>     My Twitter Page:
>     http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan
>     My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
>     http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs
>
>     --

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.2 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 ghz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Mesages all working.

Re: Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system?

M.E. Verhagen
doesn't windows have virtual memory ?

on my box it starts to use virtual memory on my hard disk. it for sure then gets a bit laggy and sometimes unresponsive but it should not crash...

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM, OpenSimFan <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

[...]

Groningen en Hannover Opensims:   secondlife://meverhagen.nl:8002:Hannover ZW/

Re: Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows)based system?

Jeeper
If it's the same problem I had, there's a Mantis report open on it

> Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system?
> and how is this going?
>
> with me, when i load a large amount of prims inworld with a oar file,
> opensim crashes without writing the crash to opensim.log... (so i can't
> show
> you)
>
> but..
> Windows error reporting makes crash reports. if you want to see them, let
> me
> know...
> they don't tell you much (i think) but its better than nothing...
>
> OpenSimFan
> (André)
>

> -----
> OpenSimFan
> My Opensim/Second Life Blog
> http://verwijs.wordpress.com
> (Dutch, basic hardware/software help  windows, Mac, Linux)
> http://verwijs-pc.nl
> My Twitter Page:
> http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan
> My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
> http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

Re: Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows)based system?

Opensimfan
This post was updated on .
I'm getting the same as "clinton" in this mantis with opensim 0.7.4 (master)
I compiled with .NET 4.xx  64-bit  (installed by .NET Framework automatically)

OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system?

The thing to try here is seeing if there's a difference between using OpenSim.exe on 64 bit, which will run as a 64-bit
process, and OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe, which will run it as a 32-bit process.

As noted later on in this thread, there is at least one bug where an object can mysteriously crash OpenSimulator running
in 64-bit mode on Windows but not in 32-bit mode.  There may be more.

This is partly why I haven't yet changed the docs to advise people to use OpenSim.exe on 64-bit Windows by default.  The
same problems don't occur with 64-bit mono.

On 03/04/12 19:28, OpenSimFan wrote:

> Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system?
> and how is this going?
>
> with me, when i load a large amount of prims inworld with a oar file,
> opensim crashes without writing the crash to opensim.log... (so i can't show
> you)
>
> but..
> Windows error reporting makes crash reports. if you want to see them, let me
> know...
> they don't tell you much (i think) but its better than nothing...
>
> OpenSimFan
> (André)
>

> -----
> OpenSimFan
> My Opensim/Second Life Blog
> http://verwijs.wordpress.com
> (Dutch, basic hardware/software help  windows, Mac, Linux)
> http://verwijs-pc.nl
> My Twitter Page:
> http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan
> My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
> http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system?

drwhiet@spacefriends.de

I have 2 scripts - which crash the simulator. This scenario is for windows
64bit

When using opensim.exe they crash the simulator.
When using opensim.32bitlaunch.exe they do not crash.

I found out that this must have something to do with the .net version
running on that server.

On my other server running .net 3.5 those very same 2 scripts (after loading
a duplicate .oar)
do not crash when using opensim.exe or opensim.32bitlaunch.exe.

As i use the osgrid distribution, my GridGod Nebadon was so nice taking some
minutes to talk
about this with me. He said that he/they compiles the distribution with .net
3.5 and it is
very possible that when using it on .net 4 server these things can happen.

Mayby take this into account when filing a mantis or checking for errors.
May solution
Is either running opensim.32bitlaunch.exe for those regions or downgrading
to .net 3.5

Best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

The thing to try here is seeing if there's a difference between using
OpenSim.exe on 64 bit, which will run as a 64-bit process, and
OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe, which will run it as a 32-bit process.

As noted later on in this thread, there is at least one bug where an object
can mysteriously crash OpenSimulator running in 64-bit mode on Windows but
not in 32-bit mode.  There may be more.

This is partly why I haven't yet changed the docs to advise people to use
OpenSim.exe on 64-bit Windows by default.  The same problems don't occur
with 64-bit mono.

On 03/04/12 19:28, OpenSimFan wrote:

> Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system?
> and how is this going?
>
> with me, when i load a large amount of prims inworld with a oar file,
> opensim crashes without writing the crash to opensim.log... (so i
> can't show
> you)
>
> but..
> Windows error reporting makes crash reports. if you want to see them,
> let me know...
> they don't tell you much (i think) but its better than nothing...
>
> OpenSimFan
> (André)
>

> -----
> OpenSimFan
> My Opensim/Second Life Blog
> http://verwijs.wordpress.com
> (Dutch, basic hardware/software help  windows, Mac, Linux)
> http://verwijs-pc.nl My Twitter Page:
> http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan
> My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
> http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system?

Opensimfan
opensim crashes when restoring .oar files, should i assign more memory to flotsam  cache?
how does opensimulator assign memory?

well i started over from scratch, new database MS-SQL.  restored .iar's, restored terrain etc.
and put build back one-by-one..

Opensimfan
OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system?

Michael Emory Cerquoni
try disabling Xengine while loading OARs in the OpenSim.ini then after the oar has restored, do a proper shutdown and re-enable xengine and start up simulator.

Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system? UPDATE

Opensimfan
This post was updated on .
UPDATE:

- started opensim with OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe.
- restored .oar file (with prims).

 everything worked fine, prims (and region data) are being saved to database. but when i run opensim 64-bit, opensim crashes.

so, in 64 mode region with prims (or oar) causing a problem.

the only error i get in 64-bit mode is this:
2012-04-07 11:28:15,037 DEBUG - OpenSim.Server.Handlers.Hypergrid.HGFriendsServerPostHandler [HGFRIENDS HANDLER]: HGFriendsServerPostHandler is On (standalone)
2012-04-07 11:28:15,037 ERROR - OpenSim.Server.Handlers.Hypergrid.HGFriendsServerPostHandler [HGFRIENDS HANDLER]: TheService is null!

but this has nothing to to do with prim storage....

Opensimfan

OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system? UPDATE

Opensimfan
UPDATE:

- started opensim with OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe.
- restored .oar file (with prims).

 everything worked fine, prims (and region data) are being saved to database. but when i run opensim 64-bit, opensim crashes.

so, in 64 mode region with prims (or oar) causing a problem.

the only error i get in 64-bit mode is this:

2012-04-07 11:28:15,037 DEBUG - OpenSim.Server.Handlers.Hypergrid.HGFriendsServerPostHandler [HGFRIENDS HANDLER]: HGFriendsServerPostHandler is On (standalone)
2012-04-07 11:28:15,037 ERROR - OpenSim.Server.Handlers.Hypergrid.HGFriendsServerPostHandler [HGFRIENDS HANDLER]: TheService is null!

but this has nothing to to do with prim storage....

Opensimfan

UPDATE:

with MySQL x64  no problems, so only a MS-SQL problem...

Opensimfan
OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: Who is running opensimulator on a x64 (windows) based system? UPDATE

justincc
I'm surprised to hear that, I'm not sure how 64-bit MSSQL could be an issue in this case.

Unfortunately I don't use MSSQL or have any knowledge as to why this might be going wrong.