Win-7 Region Server to Ubuntu 14.04 Robust

Win-7 Region Server to Ubuntu 14.04 Robust

Randy Pierce

Short of pulling my hair out trying to get all of this transition to work. I have been migrating from a straight Windows (XP/Win7) opensim environment over to a Win7/Ubuntu environment. I am getting very well rehearsed on reinstalling Ubuntu and can do this is my sleep. I have a set of Linux and a set of Windows directories on my thumb drive that have been extracted from opensimulator.org (binary not compiled), and I simply use whichever is appropriate for the system I am working on.

I can get the Robust server, MySQL, and an instance of OpenSim to work in Ubuntu (if I would just quit trying to tweak things it would continue to work). The issue I am having is I want to have my Windows 7 desktop/region server to connect over my home network to the Robust server. While it sounds so easy in Windows, I figured it should not be that hard in Linux. I guess this is the stumbling block I have found.

I have verified all applicable regional (TCP and UDP) are open on the router. Again let me repeat that this network worked fine in Windows, so I know all the ports are correct.

I have a Robust server running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, with mono 3.6.1 and SQL 5.6.X and OpenSim 0.8 (binary file) configured to run on internal IP 192.168.1.100. The standard opensim ports are set at defaults.

I have a Win-7 system (w/SP-1) running Microsoft NET 4.5.1 and OpenSim 0.8 (binary file) configured to run on internal IP 192.168.1.140. Again, standard second iteration IP used (9002) as the http_listener_port.

Short of sending all the redundant configuration files, what needs to be done (either to the Ubuntu, the Windows, or the SQL – maybe a combination of all 3?) to get the two systems to talk back and forth and share opensim information?

If anyone has firsthand knowledge and have tried this, I sure would appreciate some assistance. If more information is required, I am happy to pastebin it.

Thank you.

Re: Win-7 Region Server to Ubuntu 14.04 Robust

Jeff Kelley
At 12:03 PM -0500 30/7/14, The Pierce Family wrote:

>The issue I am having is I want to have my Windows 7 desktop/region
>server to connect over my home network to the Robust server.

What says http://your_robust_servert:8002/ running on your region server?

-- Jeff

Re: Win-7 Region Server to Ubuntu 14.04 Robust

Randy Pierce
Jeff (et al),

My Robust server is running on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and has an initial region
running in an hyper-grid architecture with it. I have no indications that
the Win-7 region server has tried to connect to the SQL on the Robust ...
disappointing. Would love to have an error message to work with. I can see
the Win-7 mounted drive from the Robust when I browse the network, so I know
that the Win-7 machine can be seen.

Randy

At 12:03 PM -0500 30/7/14, The Pierce Family wrote:

>The issue I am having is I want to have my Windows 7 desktop/region
>server to connect over my home network to the Robust server.

What says http://your_robust_servert:8002/ running on your region server?

-- Jeff

Re: Win-7 Region Server to Ubuntu 14.04 Robust

R.Gunther
Everything on port 8002 need to have normally the external internet
ip/hostname
Everything on port 8003 can have your internbal lan ip / localhost
For external access you only need 8002 open in the firewall, that way
nobody can join your grid.

On 2014-07-31 03:49, The Pierce Family wrote:

> Jeff (et al),
>
> My Robust server is running on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and has an initial region
> running in an hyper-grid architecture with it. I have no indications that
> the Win-7 region server has tried to connect to the SQL on the Robust ...
> disappointing. Would love to have an error message to work with. I can see
> the Win-7 mounted drive from the Robust when I browse the network, so I know
> that the Win-7 machine can be seen.
>
> Randy

Thank you for input to this point. I would like to reiterate: this was a
completely working grid under a windows-only computer environment. If I were
to put it back in under windows it would be running fine. Linux-based has
some additional benefits that I wished to have which requires (at least) a
robust server running in Linux.

It is the transition of moving the Robust server and SQL over to a
Linux-based Ubuntu 14.04 LTS operating system that has caused these issues.
I repeat, this was a working hyper-grid before this. I thank you for your
input, but I believe I am past what has been provided thus far.

Please keep the comments coming, eventually there will be a break-through or
something I have yet to try.

On 2014-07-31 03:49, The Pierce Family wrote:
> Jeff (et al),
>
> My Robust server is running on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and has an initial
> region running in an hyper-grid architecture with it. I have no
> indications that the Win-7 region server has tried to connect to the SQL
on the Robust ...

> disappointing. Would love to have an error message to work with. I can
> see the Win-7 mounted drive from the Robust when I browse the network,
> so I know that the Win-7 machine can be seen.
>
> Randy

justincc
When you say it was running fine in a Windows environment, it sounds like you were still running the robust service on
the same machine as the simulator(s).  If so, thne you are effectively making two changes, not 1

1.  Running services under Linux/Mono.
2.  Running services on a different machine on the LAN.

If so and if you can, I suggest trying to get services running under Windows on a different machine first, if that's an
environment that you're more familiar with.  Once you can do that, then the same settings can simply be copied over to a
Linux service installation.

On 31/07/14 11:25, The Pierce Family wrote:

> Thank you for input to this point. I would like to reiterate: this was a
> completely working grid under a windows-only computer environment. If I were
> to put it back in under windows it would be running fine. Linux-based has
> some additional benefits that I wished to have which requires (at least) a
> robust server running in Linux.
>
> It is the transition of moving the Robust server and SQL over to a
> Linux-based Ubuntu 14.04 LTS operating system that has caused these issues.
> I repeat, this was a working hyper-grid before this. I thank you for your
> input, but I believe I am past what has been provided thus far.
>
> Please keep the comments coming, eventually there will be a break-through or
> something I have yet to try.

OSVW Consulting

Re: Win-7 Region Server to Ubuntu 14.04 Robust

Randy Pierce
Justin,

Sorry for the misconception on my part. I had 3 region servers (computers)
hooked into one robust server (also running the SQL and one region) that
were all hooked up and working fine on the home network. He region servers
were running Win-XP Professional (with SP-3)

I have since opted-in to running the robust (SQL and one region) in a Ubuntu
environment, whilst two of the other region servers are in Win-7
Professional (with SP 1 installed) and another regional server in Ubuntu. I
have confirmed that all the software that is installed are all up to date.
In addition, I can see the entire Windows network from the Ubuntu drive
browser.

I believe it comes down to either an iptables or a network setting that is
only on the Ubuntu robust server. I say this because the entire network of
robust and region servers worked fine in windows.

I hope this has provided additional information and please feel free to
contact me directly if you have any specific insight. If you need my email
address (and cannot extract it from this user group) please let me know. I'd
like to be able to utilize the technology resources I have but cannot at
this time.

Randy

When you say it was running fine in a Windows environment, it sounds like
you were still running the robust service on the same machine as the
simulator(s).  If so, thne you are effectively making two changes, not 1

1.  Running services under Linux/Mono.
2.  Running services on a different machine on the LAN.

If so and if you can, I suggest trying to get services running under Windows
on a different machine first, if that's an environment that you're more
familiar with.  Once you can do that, then the same settings can simply be
copied over to a Linux service installation.

On 31/07/14 11:25, The Pierce Family wrote:
> Thank you for input to this point. I would like to reiterate: this was
> a completely working grid under a windows-only computer environment.
> If I were to put it back in under windows it would be running fine.
> Linux-based has some additional benefits that I wished to have which
> requires (at least) a robust server running in Linux.
>
> It is the transition of moving the Robust server and SQL over to a
> Linux-based Ubuntu 14.04 LTS operating system that has caused these
issues.

> I repeat, this was a working hyper-grid before this. I thank you for
> your input, but I believe I am past what has been provided thus far.
>
> Please keep the comments coming, eventually there will be a
> break-through or something I have yet to try.

OSVW Consulting

Re: Win-7 Region Server to Ubuntu 14.04 Robust

Dahlia Trimble
Offhand I'd think moving the regions to Windows 7 should probably have been tested while Robust was still on a Windows box. Windows 7 has a firewall which may be more restrictive than the same one on XP and could be preventing some incoming communications to the regions.

Aside from my speculation above, I'd suggest posting your configuration files (after removing any passwords). That way a lot of guessing could be bypassed and you might get your answer faster. I'd also suggest you might try the #opensim IRC channel on irc.freenode.net where perhaps someone could help you in real time.

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 1:45 PM, The Pierce Family <[hidden email]> wrote:
Justin,

Sorry for the misconception on my part. I had 3 region servers (computers)
hooked into one robust server (also running the SQL and one region) that
were all hooked up and working fine on the home network. He region servers
were running Win-XP Professional (with SP-3)

I have since opted-in to running the robust (SQL and one region) in a Ubuntu
environment, whilst two of the other region servers are in Win-7
Professional (with SP 1 installed) and another regional server in Ubuntu. I
have confirmed that all the software that is installed are all up to date.
In addition, I can see the entire Windows network from the Ubuntu drive
browser.

I believe it comes down to either an iptables or a network setting that is
only on the Ubuntu robust server. I say this because the entire network of
robust and region servers worked fine in windows.

I hope this has provided additional information and please feel free to
contact me directly if you have any specific insight. If you need my email
address (and cannot extract it from this user group) please let me know. I'd
like to be able to utilize the technology resources I have but cannot at
this time.

Randy

When you say it was running fine in a Windows environment, it sounds like
you were still running the robust service on the same machine as the
simulator(s).  If so, thne you are effectively making two changes, not 1

1.  Running services under Linux/Mono.
2.  Running services on a different machine on the LAN.

If so and if you can, I suggest trying to get services running under Windows
on a different machine first, if that's an environment that you're more
familiar with.  Once you can do that, then the same settings can simply be
copied over to a Linux service installation.

On 31/07/14 11:25, The Pierce Family wrote:
> Thank you for input to this point. I would like to reiterate: this was
> a completely working grid under a windows-only computer environment.
> If I were to put it back in under windows it would be running fine.
> Linux-based has some additional benefits that I wished to have which
> requires (at least) a robust server running in Linux.
>
> It is the transition of moving the Robust server and SQL over to a
> Linux-based Ubuntu 14.04 LTS operating system that has caused these
issues.
> I repeat, this was a working hyper-grid before this. I thank you for
> your input, but I believe I am past what has been provided thus far.
>
> Please keep the comments coming, eventually there will be a
> break-through or something I have yet to try.

OSVW Consulting

Re: Win-7 Region Server to Ubuntu 14.04 Robust

Being able to see Windows services from your Linux box is no guarantee that your Windows services can see Robust
services running on OpenSimulator.

As you say, I think this is likely to be a firewall (iptables) or other network config issue.  The same configuration
that you used on Windows will work on Linux, everything else being equal.

On 01/08/14 21:45, The Pierce Family wrote:

> Justin,
>
> Sorry for the misconception on my part. I had 3 region servers (computers)
> hooked into one robust server (also running the SQL and one region) that
> were all hooked up and working fine on the home network. He region servers
> were running Win-XP Professional (with SP-3)
>
> I have since opted-in to running the robust (SQL and one region) in a Ubuntu
> environment, whilst two of the other region servers are in Win-7
> Professional (with SP 1 installed) and another regional server in Ubuntu. I
> have confirmed that all the software that is installed are all up to date.
> In addition, I can see the entire Windows network from the Ubuntu drive
> browser.
>
> I believe it comes down to either an iptables or a network setting that is
> only on the Ubuntu robust server. I say this because the entire network of
> robust and region servers worked fine in windows.
>
> I hope this has provided additional information and please feel free to
> contact me directly if you have any specific insight. If you need my email
> address (and cannot extract it from this user group) please let me know. I'd
> like to be able to utilize the technology resources I have but cannot at
> this time.
>
> Randy

OSVW Consulting

At 12:03 AM +0100 2/8/14, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

>Being able to see Windows services from your Linux box is no guarantee
>that your Windows services can see Robust services running on OpenSimulator.

Randy.

 From your Windows box:

- Launch a web browser
- Goto http://your_linux_box:8002/

What does it says?

-- Jeff

Re: Win-7 Region Server to Ubuntu 14.04 Robust

Randy Pierce
Jeff,

Here is the response I got when I did this with my primary Windows 7 machine
that is used to type this email as well as other daily things:

Ooops!
The page you requested has been obsconded with by knomes. Find hippos quick!
If you are trying to log-in, your link parameters should have: "-loginpage
http:///?method=login -loginuri http:///" in your link

Randy

At 12:03 AM +0100 2/8/14, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

>Being able to see Windows services from your Linux box is no guarantee
>that your Windows services can see Robust services running on
OpenSimulator.

Randy.

 From your Windows box:

At 9:02 AM -0500 3/8/14, The Pierce Family wrote:

>Jeff,
>
>Here is the response I got when I did this with my primary Windows 7 machine
>that is used to type this email as well as other daily things:
>
>Ooops!
>The page you requested has been obsconded with by knomes. Find hippos quick!
>If you are trying to log-in, your link parameters should have: "-loginpage
>http:///?method=login -loginuri http:///" in your link

This is correct behaviour and means that your Windows "primary "
machine can communicate with R.O.B.U.S.T. on your Linux box.

You should perform the same test from your region machine.

If you don't get the hippos message, repeat with iptables disabled on
the Linux box.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-start-stop-iptables-service/

-- Jeff