Win a sim competition announced by ReactionGrid

Win a sim competition announced by ReactionGrid

JaniP
I would love to see more competitions like this! I am excited to see the outcome too - the contest is about visualizing voltage meter reading - who visualizes or uses it the best or most interesting way..

ReactionGrid announces contest to win a hosted virtual world for a year

That is Opensim. Anyone starting a contest to win a hosted realXtend world?

Best regards,
Jani

Re: Win a sim competition announced by ReactionGrid

lamont cranston
From the about page;

"This effort is supported by Microsoft and attributed to the following groups:
www.sldnug.net The .NET Developers User Group
www.itprosinsl.net TechNet Virtual User Group"

Is .net the way to go?

http://www.gnu.org/software/dotgnu/danger.html

"
Microsoft also warned today that the era of ''open computing,'' the free exchange of digital information that has defined the personal computer industry, is ending.", New York Times, July 25, 2002

The hostility of the Opensim  to the GPL and it's embrace of .net do not bode well for the future of the project.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 5:01 AM, Jani Pirkola <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would love to see more competitions like this! I am excited to see the outcome too - the contest is about visualizing voltage meter reading - who visualizes or uses it the best or most interesting way..

ReactionGrid announces contest to win a hosted virtual world for a year

That is Opensim. Anyone starting a contest to win a hosted realXtend world?

Best regards,
Jani

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Re: Win a sim competition announced by ReactionGrid

Chris Hart

The three owners of ReactionGrid, myself, Kyle and Robin Gomboy, are not employed by Microsoft, but we have good contacts and relations with several Microsoft employees. Our background is that we have run the .NET user group and the TechNet group on Microsoft Island on Second Life for the past 18 months or so as unpaid volunteers, and we started looking at OpenSim a year ago after some less-than-desirable experiences on the LL grid when running an event.

We run our grid, ReactionGrid, on MS software because it is a platform we are comfortable with and believe in and it’s where our skillsets lie (I’ve been a developer for over 10 years almost exclusively on the Microsoft platform). ReactionGrid is not owned by Microsoft, they have some sims on our grid, and they pay for an island on the LL grid that we look after as volunteers for the community.

As for GNU vs BSD, I’m not even starting to get involved. If you don’t like .NET, fine, other platforms are available.

Re: Win a sim competition announced by ReactionGrid

Ralf Haifisch
"..it's where our skillsets lie.."

Isn´t that the whole story ?

One should work where the skills are - for productive work.

Maybe you can work where you have no skills - to learn.

But if one is offering products or services for free, and one else does not
like that for some reason:  just choose something else or rebuild it like
you like it.

As well:  if someone want´s to run a productive environment, she/he should
choose something having skills on (from a security perspective which
includes availability).

Always interesting discussions...   :-)

Message: 6

Re: Win a sim competition announced by ReactionGrid

Charles Krinke-3
I also applaud the good ideas coming from the ReactionGrid folks. To be honest, I wish I had thought of some of them first, but thats just me.

As for .NET, GPL and BSD, OpenSim picked .NET for a number of reasons. It is a given and we see no reason to change. It is elating to see Microsoft-centric and Linux-centric developers working together and I hope this goes on for a long time.

The whole GPL notion has to do with tainting the BSD license. Many argue that BSD is a better license as it allows the user to do just about anything they wish with the source of OpenSim. OpenSim has adopted a very conservative approach and does not with to taint the existing license with too many GPL notions which then attach strings to the users of the OpenSim software.

Charles