Windows 8.1 tablet experience?

Nick Zwart
Hi All,

Since education in the Netherlands is more and more moving towards the use of tablets, I am trying to find out if the new generation of Windows 8.1 tablets are any good for running an OpenSim viewer on.
If you have worked with it allready, what were your experiences?
What tablet did you use?
Which software?
Any problems during use?

Hope to hear from you...

Regards,

Nick Zwart - 3DLES (NL)

Re: Windows 8.1 tablet experience?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello,
Definitely the interest to see platforms like Second Life or Opensim on tablets is so strong that not satisfying this need will have dire and irrecoverable consequences. Am not sure whether the community realize the importance of having a device agnostic platform ... but I don't see much happening in this space. I even tried contacting developers of Lumiya and got no response. While unity 3D is galloping to introduce the deep collaborative features that it lacks when compared to opensim, I believe that goal is well within their reach in the near term. And both developers and clients are pressuring opensim content developers like myself to shift platform. I am only holding on one thread of defense ...at this time by pointing them to Microsoft Surface Pro http://youtu.be/GdS7eX9pzL0 (see video ... not the best experience but better than Lumiya at this stage)
And opensim / SL does work but at lower FPS. So may be use this weak defense to placate a little all these requests to make opensim environments on tablet. Keeping in mind that most people use Android or iOS.
Ramesh

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Nick Zwart - 3DLES <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

Since education in the Netherlands is more and more moving towards the use of tablets, I am trying to find out if the new generation of Windows 8.1 tablets are any good for running an OpenSim viewer on.
If you have worked with it allready, what were your experiences?
What tablet did you use?
Which software?
Any problems during use?

Hope to hear from you...

Regards,

Nick Zwart - 3DLES (NL)

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: Windows 8.1 tablet experience?

Nick Zwart

Hi Ramesh,

Very interesting video. What we mainly use OpenSim for is language education with voicechat, connecting a school in one country to a school in another country (with different languages). So we need voice to work and Lumiya does not have that.
I know Android and iOS are used the most on tablets now, but having a 'complete' Windows 8 computer in a tablet is something that helps getting OpenSim back in the picture. ( I think/hope)

Nick

[...]

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: <a href="tel:208-240-0040" value="+12082400040" target="_blank">208-240-0040