Works :) Multiple grids on one PC...

Opensimfan
i'm running multiple grids, usig "MySQL Sandbox" for linux... works great and easy to install.

Guest Pass: click here (open in new tab)
OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: Works :) Multiple grids on one PC...

Karen Palen
I wondered if this would work :-)

I want to do something similar, but I am not sure I want to run two separate grids at once though.

I wonder if there are workable alternatives?

Karen

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 6:03 AM, DutchGlory <[hidden email]> wrote:
multiple_grids.png

usig "MySQL Sandbox" for linux...
Dutch...

Re: Works :) Multiple grids on one PC...

Opensimfan
this is only if you want to run multiple grids with mysql database, you can also run just one grid...
if you know how create multiple mysql instances with different portnumbers, you don't need "sandbox"

André Verwijs - Google+

Re: Works :) Multiple grids on one PC...

Karen Palen
Actually I want to run two very distinct worlds for very different user sets.

One of them is based on the Open Blackboard Mars sim: http://metatek.blogspot.com/2010/03/opensim-mars-simulation.html

I am putting this together for a demo at a SciFi convention (Coppercon in Mesa AZ)  over Labor Day weekend.

You can try it at: http://mars-simulator.hobby-site.org:9000/wifi login as "mars one"      password: "mars"

This one is intended for kids and rank beginners. It still needs instructions posted as well as giving proper credit to Open Blackboard for the basic world!

The other is my experimental world which will have all kinds of wierd stuff - whatever strikes my fancy at the time. :-)

I don't want to be careful about what I leave there being suitable for a demo that I put on at a Jr. High school!

I am certainly open to suggestions as to how best to do this.

Karen

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 6:34 AM, DutchGlory <[hidden email]> wrote:

this is only if you want to run multiple grids with mysql database, you can
also run just one grid...
if you know how create multiple mysql instances with different portnumbers,
you don't need "sandbox"

dutch

Re: Works :) Multiple grids on one PC...

Opensimfan
if you have more than one mysql instance (3306,3307 etc.), you can run any kind of opensimulator with diffrent setups.
They work separate from each other... Create database and user in each instance and point to them in opensimulator configuration
and make sure ports are open in router/firewall for you to be able to TP to it..
9000-9000 for region 1 9001-9001 for region 2 etc. (or 800x, you know the deal  )
doing it by hand is very difficult, "sandbox"  is doing all the work for you..

after that START BUILDING

OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: Works :) Multiple grids on one PC...

Bulli
I'm a bit confused now... why would you create multiple MySQL instances? You can just create a different database for each each grid, can't you? Would prob. save a lot of trouble...

Bulli Schumann

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: Works :) Multiple grids on one PC...

Kesick, Nicholas Charles

Correct, you do not need multiple MySQL instances, only multiple databases.

A database server like MySQL can handle multiple pieces of the same software (say 4 Wordpress blogs), or multiple pieces of software (2 Opensims, 3 Wordpress blog installs, 1 Moodle CMS) just fine in one instance.

- Nicholas Kesick

Now at [hidden email]!

Re: Works :) Multiple grids on one PC...

Karen Palen
Ok thanks - it sounds about as I expected.

Now all I have to do is get everything set up and working :-)

I do wonder if there is some way to do this within a single instance of OpenSim however - it is not as if we need high security, only keeping inadvertant wanderers out of trouble.

Karen

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 7:29 AM, DutchGlory <[hidden email]> wrote:

if you have more than one mysql instance (3306,3307 etc.), you can run any
kind of opensimulator with diffrent setups.
They work separate from each other... Create database and user in each
instance and point to them in opensimulator configuration
and make sure ports are open in router/firewall for you to be able to TP to
it..
9000-9000 for region 1 9001-9001 for region 2 etc. (or 800x, you know the
deal  )
doing it by hand is very difficult, "sandbox"  is doing all the work for
you..

after that START BUILDING

Re: Works :) Multiple grids on one PC...

Opensimfan
I tought you could use port 3306 only for one connection at a time.... thats why for each connection a separate mysql connection....

learn something new every day. :)

André Verwijs - Google+

Re: Works :) Multiple grids on one PC...

Kesick, Nicholas Charles

Could you use the 4096 teleport bug to your advantage?

- Nicholas Kesick

Now at [hidden email]!

Re: Works :) Multiple grids on one PC...

Kesick, Nicholas Charles
You can only run one MySQL service at a time on that port.

Maybe you are more familiar with web servers and I can make a comparison to that.  By default, a web server (IIS, Apache) runs on port 80.  You can run multiple websites, domains, etc. with one web server.  MySQL is the same, except instead of sites and domains, you have databases.

- Nicholas Kesick
Now at [hidden email]!