You Assholes lost our funding!

Thom King

 I just found out our OpenSim-Grid-based project has lost our
 funding because of some stunt you assholes pulled in the OpenSim
 code.  You are despicable!  There is no possible excuse for what
 you have done.

Re: You Assholes lost our funding!

Teravus Ovares
We, again, warned against using revisions directly from the SVN for
production systems.

Sincerely

Tearvus

Thom King wrote:
>  I just found out our OpenSim-Grid-based project has lost our
>  funding because of some stunt you assholes pulled in the OpenSim
>  code.  You are despicable!  There is no possible excuse for what
>  you have done.

Except that we're all going to die... eventually?

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: You A**hole

drwhiet@spacefriends.de

<snip>
 I just found out our OpenSim-Grid-based project has lost our  funding
because of some stunt you assholes pulled in the OpenSim  code.  You are
despicable!  There is no possible excuse for what  you have done.
 </snip>

lol , last year it had looked like this:

1 JUS+ f0UND Ou+ 0uR op3n5IM-9Rid-b4S3D PR0J3C+ H@$ LO$+ 0Ur FuNDINg BEC4u$3
OF $0me 5+uN+ J00 4$SHOl35 PUlLEd IN +He 0P3N51M C0dE. j00 @RE d35P1C@BL3!
tH3R3 1s N0 POS5IBL3 3XcU$E PHOR WH4+ J00 H4VE dOnE.

Excuse me, but hey whoever you are .. Who you are, to be that rude ?
d0nt j00r vC 4N9eL5 L1k3 @Pr1L I5T ?

Word

Re: You Assholes lost our funding!

Frank W Sweet
Teravus wrote: We, again, warned against using revisions directly from
the SVN for production systems.

(1) I doubt that many users realized that this policy meant developers
would deliberately wreck usage as a joke or prank.(2) I doubt that any
user forsesaw that, instead of promising it won't happen again, the
perps are proud of their act, and imply that they will do it again
whenever they please.

Now that users understand points (1) and (2), they can decide whether
to stay with the project. (No, I will not let the door hit my firm on
the way out. Thanks for your concern.)

FWS

Re: You Assholes lost our funding!

Frisby, Adam
Justin: I hate to say it, but this comes off reflecting badly. I know it doesn't intend to - but really the short reply is this:

We're sorry you lost your funding, however when we declare trunk to be only useful to testers and developers - there is a reason for that. We say these things not because we're paranoid and don't want complaints - it's because trunk is simply not safe for production systems.

If your system is running trunk, against our advice and something bad happens, the willingness of volunteers to listen drops dramatically, especially when it is phrased as 'you assholes'. The facts of life are you are getting a software product for free, with full source rights - if you then use it in ways contrary to our advice for commercial users and get burnt, you are not going to find a particularly welcoming reception in this crowd.

Trunk is unstable for a reason - no-one sane would run the latest MySQL trunk in a production environment, likewise with Apache webserver. OpenSim is no exception, to differentiate here because of the speed of development.

Yes there was a deliberately inserted prank in the codebase - however it was there under the assumption that the only people running trunk are the people who are developing or testing. We make sure to highlight that is what the intended audience for trunk is, and anyone else should stick to one of our maintained stable branches.

Adam

I would propose and argue that OpenSimulator will follow a predictable
course.   A joke on April 1st in the developer and tester SVN.
That's quite predictable.   A joke on May 1st, not so much.   As Adam
said, worse has happened that was plain programming error in SVN..
sometimes for a period of time.

Sincerely

Teravus

On 4/1/09, Frank W Sweet <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Teravus wrote: We, again, warned against using revisions directly from
> the SVN for production systems.
>
> (1) I doubt that many users realized that this policy meant developers
> would deliberately wreck usage as a joke or prank.(2) I doubt that any
> user forsesaw that, instead of promising it won't happen again, the
> perps are proud of their act, and imply that they will do it again
> whenever they please.
>
> Now that users understand points (1) and (2), they can decide whether
> to stay with the project. (No, I will not let the door hit my firm on
> the way out. Thanks for your concern.)
>
> FWS

Re: You Assholes lost our funding!

mw-2
No one is proud or happy that this has caused anyone problems.

Re: You Assholes lost our funding!

With all due respect Adam, I've seen this stuff fly by most of the day now and it's really getting old.  When all the
sensible responses have run out, the only thing you can do is laugh (or cry).

The bottom line is, don't follow bleeding edge trunk if you can't handle the yearly prank (April 1st, come on!).

Frisby, Adam wrote:

> Justin: I hate to say it, but this comes off reflecting badly. I know it doesn't intend to - but really the short reply is this:
>
> We're sorry you lost your funding, however when we declare trunk to be only useful to testers and developers - there is a reason for that. We say these things not because we're paranoid and don't want complaints - it's because trunk is simply not safe for production systems.
>
> If your system is running trunk, against our advice and something bad happens, the willingness of volunteers to listen drops dramatically, especially when it is phrased as 'you assholes'. The facts of life are you are getting a software product for free, with full source rights - if you then use it in ways contrary to our advice for commercial users and get burnt, you are not going to find a particularly welcoming reception in this crowd.
>
> Trunk is unstable for a reason - no-one sane would run the latest MySQL trunk in a production environment, likewise with Apache webserver. OpenSim is no exception, to differentiate here because of the speed of development.
>
> Yes there was a deliberately inserted prank in the codebase - however it was there under the assumption that the only people running trunk are the people who are developing or testing. We make sure to highlight that is what the intended audience for trunk is, and anyone else should stick to one of our maintained stable branches.
>
> Adam

James Stallings II
Well said MW

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 6:44 PM, MW <[hidden email]> wrote:
No one is proud or happy that this has caused anyone problems.

Re: You Assholes lost our funding!

James Stallings II
There's been so many cries of 'we lost our funding over this' that I have come to wonder if said cries are not April Fools jokes on the devs - I just cant imagine there being so many well-funded people willing to risk everything running trunk.

Just a thought ;)

Cheers!
Hiro

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 6:57 PM, BlueWall Slade <[hidden email]> wrote:
Those "Ass Holes" were the only link to your funding to start with. Just out of curiosity, how much funding were you planning to contribute back to the cause? Code?

Sincerely,
BlueWall

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Thom King <[hidden email]> wrote:

 I just found out our OpenSim-Grid-based project has lost our
 funding because of some stunt you assholes pulled in the OpenSim
 code.  You are despicable!  There is no possible excuse for what
 you have done.

Re: You Assholes lost our funding!

Charles Krinke-3
Well, its entirely probably, Hiro. I thought that you and I at least knew all the personalities deploying OpenSim and I have to admit that none of these names are familiar.

But, be that as it may, the fact still remains that deployment of OpenSim to naive users should use a tagged release and certainly not SVN trunk.

Charles

Re: You Assholes lost our funding!

Ursula MATOVA
+1

What a waste of time for an April 1st, Joke :'(

To those that are deploying "alpha" releases in production : did you hear about "risk management" ... ???
You took a risk : so, don't complain.

Regards,
Ursula.