Your Viewer and why?

Steven Salter
There are a lot of viewers out there. I am not overly interested in going to SL except to see what marvelous things people are creating so I don't plan on using the SL viewer very often.

Imprudence is good  and apparently development may not be dropped now in favor of Kokua since they are forming two dev teams with 'onefang rejected' as lead.  However, I still get invisible terrain when I use the Mac version of Imprudence.

Singularity looks good as well and has an active dev team.

I thought Phoenix totally sucked since it crashed on me repeatedly (mac or pc) and often displayed strange error messages about spoofing and so on, regardless of whether I was on SL or on an OpenSim.
Firestorm seems quite good but it doesn't have a grid manager. Why didn't they just add in the one from Phoenix? *sigh*

CoolVL is ok too, I've just tried it a couple of times.

So, you see I'm flailing about here trying different viewers and being indecisive.

What viewer do you use and why?

thanks.
Steve

Re: Your Viewer and why?

Vanish-2
Hi,

nowadays I'm using Imprudence mainly for exporting / importing, because
most things I make or get are compatible with its importer. Mainly I'm
using Firestorm (despite its awful performance) for their nice mix of
features, and every once in a while I'm just trying out the official SL
viewer, which performs really well (graphics-wise) but doesn't have some
of the features I love (like viewer-side AO, quick access to windlight
settings, draw distance, etc. or legacy pie menus). I put some high hopes
into Kokua, if they ever come out with a Mac version, but until then I'm
somewhat stuck between the frying pan and the fire.

> There are a lot of viewers out there. I am not overly interested in
> going to SL except to see what marvelous things people are creating so I
> don't plan on using the SL viewer very often.
>
> Imprudence is good  and apparently development may not be dropped now in
> favor of Kokua since they are forming two dev teams with 'onefang
> rejected' as lead.  However, I still get invisible terrain when I use
> the Mac version of Imprudence.
>
> Singularity looks good as well and has an active dev team.
>
> I thought Phoenix totally sucked since it crashed on me repeatedly (mac
> or pc) and often displayed strange error messages about spoofing and so
> on, regardless of whether I was on SL or on an OpenSim.
> Firestorm seems quite good but it doesn't have a grid manager. Why
> didn't they just add in the one from Phoenix? *sigh*
>
> CoolVL is ok too, I've just tried it a couple of times.
>
> So, you see I'm flailing about here trying different viewers and being
> indecisive.
>
> What viewer do you use and why?
>
> thanks.
> Steve

The Twilight’s Green Illuminate Beam,
This Great ImBalance, that I’ve seen,
That Trees Got Icy Branches and,
The Good In Bad, That God I’ve Been.

http://tgib.co.uk/

Re: Your Viewer and why?

Fleep Tuque
I use Imprudence 95% of the time no matter what grid I'm on for one simple reason - it's stable and reliable.  The only thing it's missing is mesh view/upload, which is a bummer, but I've lived without mesh for many years and am willing to trade mesh for stability and a convenient grid manager.

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018

http://ucsim.uc.edu

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Steven Salter <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Han Xu
I'm using SL Viewer, because it's frequently updated and have better support in importing models form SketchUp Warehouse compared to Imprudence.

Imprudence is also my second client. I use it when I want to import some models that SL Viewer doesn't support (for example, ones from Vanish's opensim-creations.com).

I'm newbie, just for your information ;-)

Han

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Fleep Tuque <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Gudule Lapointe
Working on Mac, i gave up using Imprudence, because
1° the last Mac release is pretty old, which is not good for a technology moving as fast as OpenSIm….
2° there some are bugs (including missing day cycle) and, regarding to point 1°, I can't hope the will be fixed soon

Currently happy with Singularity, though it raises frequent  messages about crash loop which cause a pause until you press the button…

--
Speculoos, the belgian cookie-flavored metaverse

Le 2 mars 2012 à 22:24, Han Xu a écrit :

[...]

Toni Alatalo-2
On Sat, 2012-03-03 at 03:28 +0100, Gudule Lapointe wrote:
> Working on Mac, i gave up using Imprudence, because
> 1° the last Mac release is pretty old, which is not good for a
> technology moving as fast as OpenSIm….
> 2° there some are bugs (including missing day cycle) and, regarding to
> point 1°, I can't hope the will be fixed soon

Didn't notice this earlier -- I built Imprudence on mac last autumn or
so, that might still be the previous release. Made it as happened to be
on a mac and heard people complain that such a build was missing. Was
easy.

If no one else is building Imprudence on Macs and it's still needed I
can try if just updating to current on my mac and building gives a good
result.

~Toni

> Currently happy with Singularity, though it raises frequent  messages
> about crash loop which cause a pause until you press the button…
>
> --
> http://www.speculoos.net/
> secondlife://speculoos.net:8002/
> Speculoos, the belgian cookie-flavored metaverse
>
> Le 2 mars 2012 à 22:24, Han Xu a écrit :
>
> > I'm using SL Viewer, because it's frequently updated and have better
> > support in importing models form SketchUp Warehouse compared to
> > Imprudence.
> >
> > Imprudence is also my second client. I use it when I want to import
> > some models that SL Viewer doesn't support (for example, ones from
> > Vanish's opensim-creations.com).
> >
> > I'm newbie, just for your information ;-)
> >
> > Han
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM, Fleep Tuque <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >         I use Imprudence 95% of the time no matter what grid I'm on
> >         for one simple reason - it's stable and reliable.  The only
> >         thing it's missing is mesh view/upload, which is a bummer,
> >         but I've lived without mesh for many years and am willing to
> >         trade mesh for stability and a convenient grid manager.
> >

> >         - Chris/Fleep
> >

> >         Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
> >         Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research
> >         (UCSIM)
> >         UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
> >         University of Cincinnati
> >         406A Zimmer Hall
> >         315 College Drive
> >         PO BOX 210088
> >         Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
> >         [hidden email]
> >         (513) 556-3018
> >

> >         http://ucsim.uc.edu
> >

> >         On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Steven Salter
> >         <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >                 There are a lot of viewers out there. I am not
> >                 overly interested in going to SL except to see what
> >                 marvelous things people are creating so I don't plan
> >                 on using the SL viewer very often.
> >
> >                 Imprudence is good  and apparently development may
> >                 not be dropped now in favor of Kokua since they are
> >                 forming two dev teams with 'onefang rejected' as
> >                 lead.  However, I still get invisible terrain when I
> >                 use the Mac version of Imprudence.
> >
> >                 Singularity looks good as well and has an active dev
> >                 team.
> >
> >                 I thought Phoenix totally sucked since it crashed on
> >                 me repeatedly (mac or pc) and often displayed
> >                 strange error messages about spoofing and so on,
> >                 regardless of whether I was on SL or on an OpenSim.
> >                 Firestorm seems quite good but it doesn't have a
> >                 grid manager. Why didn't they just add in the one
> >                 from Phoenix? *sigh*
> >
> >                 CoolVL is ok too, I've just tried it a couple of
> >                 times.
> >
> >                 So, you see I'm flailing about here trying different
> >                 viewers and being indecisive.
> >
> >                 What viewer do you use and why?
> >
> >                 thanks.
> >                 Steve

Re: Your Viewer and why?

Karen Palen
I think if you check Onefang's website he is looking for someone to
build and test Imprudence/meta-impy on Mac and Windows.

http://onefang.net/drupal/

On 03/16/2012 09:13 PM, Toni Alatalo wrote:

> [...]
>>>                 on using the SL viewer very often.
>>>
>>>                 Imprudence is good  and apparently development may
>>>                 not be dropped now in favor of Kokua since they are
>>>                 forming two dev teams with 'onefang rejected' as
>>>                 lead.  However, I still get invisible terrain when I
>>>                 use the Mac version of Imprudence.
>>>
>>>                 Singularity looks good as well and has an active dev
>>>                 team.
>>>
>>>                 I thought Phoenix totally sucked since it crashed on
>>>                 me repeatedly (mac or pc) and often displayed
>>>                 strange error messages about spoofing and so on,
>>>                 regardless of whether I was on SL or on an OpenSim.
>>>                 Firestorm seems quite good but it doesn't have a
>>>                 grid manager. Why didn't they just add in the one
>>>                 from Phoenix? *sigh*
>>>
>>>                 CoolVL is ok too, I've just tried it a couple of
>>>                 times.
>>>
>>>                 So, you see I'm flailing about here trying different

Re: Your Viewer and why?

NoBuTa
Imprudence and CoolVL are OK! Yes I agree with you!  You don't need to be indecisive, just choose you like freely!
Hello! Welcome to my space to view more Abercrombie and Fitch Outlet UK!

Re: Your Viewer and why?

Gudule Lapointe
(the following is not server-related, but as the question appeared in the discussion, I think some will appreciate the solution)

Just found by chance the fix for the 6 error messages of Imprudence on Mac: a couple of file names used for day cycles are url-encoded. Programs expect A-12PM.xml and doesn't find the existing A%2D12PM.xml file.

These files are located in
Imprudence 1.3.2.app/Contents/Resources/app_settings/windlight/skies
renaming (or, safer, copying) them with a dash instead of %2D makes the trick.

This can be done with Terminal or by displaying packet content. I'll answer more precise question by mail, if needed.

I searched that for a long time in the whole web and didn't find such a simple solution!

--
Speculoos, the belgian cookie-flavored metaverse

Le 18 mars 2012 à 12:54, Akira Sonoda a écrit :

Hi Steven

Am 2. März 2012 21:27 schrieb Steven Salter <[hidden email]>:
There are a lot of viewers out there. I am not overly interested in going to SL except to see what marvelous things people are creating so I don't plan on using the SL viewer very often.

On the mac  i use mainly Singularity even if the build is not in the most current state
Sometimes i use Impru as well on the mac even with the 6 error messages during startup.
The most current 1.4 beta i don't use because music does not play
Phoenix and Firestorm... I don't like both. whenever i use them things get messy.

On Linux, the situation pretty much the same. Mainily Singularity, current version but does not play music
Impru 1.3.x or 1.4.x because they play music therefore i use them mostly on parties with DJ's or live concerts.
Phoenix and Firestorm... The same on Linux as on mac and i can't get used to the new Firestorm user interface.

I have no idea what intentions are behind all those efforts of the different viewers. Improving usability? All those new/different menus and panels ( especially the preferences dialog ) it confuses more than it helps. Better rendering capabilities e.g. the kirsten viewer. Nice idea! but also there i hardly can get used to the ui.

Better Stability. Imprudence is very nice and Singularity is very nice on Linux as well. Those crashe mentioned in an other post I've mainly seen on mac.

Therefore I mostly work under Linux right now, because i get the more current versions than on mac.

There are certainly a lot of other viewers out there as well. But I need to be productive and get things done, therefore stability is most important.
Things have to materialize quickly and correctly, sharp and not blurry textures no cloud avatars. That's the second important feature.
The viewer should be nice to the sims as well. There are some issues especially with the newer viewers using http textures and the OpenSim. Thats the third important feature.

The newest and latest Features like Meshes are not so important for me they are quite new and I have no problems to wait until those features get more mature, because I am not building so much.

Here's the viewer stats from the last 24 hours on all the Sims I maintain: https://plus.google.com/photos/109108978167407050970/albums/5721203138429046561?authkey=CNiV9-3LyMu7cQ