bent legs hate - suggestion

Ethan Gardener
The following picture was taken today in Second Life:
http://eekee.org.uk/tmp/bent-legs_004.png

Now, I don't know what you think when you see that, but I look at his legs and think YEOWCH O.O

If Linden Labs have never got this particular feature to look even vaguely normal and given that 95% of SL users use AOs which can't adapt to terrain anyway, may I suggest that the OpenSim project remove the code which alters avatar leg angles based on terrain? If removing the code is going too far then an option to disable the code would be appreciated. Either way I would really like to not have to look at the results of this broken idea.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis

Those who are slower at parsing information must
necessarily be faster at problem-solving.

Re: bent legs hate - suggestion

Frisby, Adam
It's a client bug.

Adam

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 13:58:55 -0400
"Frisby, Adam" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's a client bug.

Damn. Why the difference between SL & OS then?

> Adam

Teravus Ovares
Actually, this has entirely to do with the client.   My guess, is the
linden simulator, in this situation, raises the avatar above the
ground a bit more then usual to compensate for the bumpy ground.    If
you really want to do that, you can via opensim.ini in the ODEPhysics
settings.  You might increase the avatar capsule radius a tiny bit.
(we're talking about a very small amount here :))

Another issue in OpenSimulator currently is we don't send the foot
plane property of objects.   This causes the feet to be turned
sideways noticeably sometimes and would only have an effect if you
were standing on prim and sometimes falling from the air.    I think
mostly the reason this hasn't been done is the object updates are the
trickiest packets to compose.   There are several versions that the
simulator could send in different scenarios.   You might file 'sending
the foot plane vector' of object updates as a bug in mantis.   My
understanding of it is, it's a vector that defines the plane of the
surface where if an avatar stood on an object, it's feet would have to
be wholly on top of the plane.

Best Regards

Teravus