changing environments?

zahms aridnamis
Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone has expierimented with changing the environment out side of the sim, the endless ocean and sky seen beyond. Has anyone tried surrounding themselves with say mountains or a space environment? Is this possible?

I am not a programmer so the concept of coding a module to change this eludes me. But I am curious if anyone has discussed this?

be well

Re: changing environments?

Len W. Brown
Zahms,

One thing I have done "semi-successfully" is to create a box that is, say, 64 meters high by 256 meters square.  This centered and hollowed out with a landscape texture on the inside kinda works but there are many issues...

For one, the physics engine must be properly set (as it is now by default) or else hollow prims are not really hollow.

For another, texturing the inside of a prim REALLY stretches things horizontally and so tiling must be employed.  Depending on the landscape, this can lead to some ugly effects.  For example, 8+ suns in the sky around you...

As far as actual environmental changes programmatically, I'm not sure if that is very feasable since it must mesh suitably with the region it surrounds.

I have seen some cool effects by changing water levels from one region to the next (waterfalls) and using "out of sim" items like rocks, palm trees and small islands that are rooted in the sim by invisible primitives.  It lets you have full use of your entire sim while having the effect of things drifting around outside of the sim a bit.

Other than that, not much else I can personally offer by way of changing the environment outside of the sim/region.

- Len W. Brown
On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM, zahms aridnamis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone has expierimented with changing the environment out side of the sim, the endless ocean and sky seen beyond. Has anyone tried surrounding themselves with say mountains or a space environment? Is this possible?

I am not a programmer so the concept of coding a module to change this eludes me. But I am curious if anyone has discussed this?

be well

Re: changing environments?

LaeMing
Before mega-regions gave me an alternative, I was using a huge hollow cylinder
around the perimeter of my sim with a landscape generated in povray pasted on
the inside. It worked quite well as it was never intended to be viewed up
close. Set it to phantom too as there was no need to touch it ever - it was
actually out of the sim bounds so touching it was impossible anyway. It did
wreck the minimap as it became a huge square covering everything.

I would LOVE to be able to change the void ocean level, though that is mostly
a client-side issue. Customising the moon texture should also be possible but
I have never been able to get my custom texture to take.

On Tuesday November 3 2009 07:26:22 Len Brown wrote:

> Zahms,
>
> One thing I have done "semi-successfully" is to create a box that is, say,
> 64 meters high by 256 meters square.  This centered and hollowed out with a
> landscape texture on the inside kinda works but there are many issues...
>
> For one, the physics engine must be properly set (as it is now by default)
> or else hollow prims are not really hollow.
>
> For another, texturing the inside of a prim REALLY stretches things
> horizontally and so tiling must be employed.  Depending on the landscape,
> this can lead to some ugly effects.  For example, 8+ suns in the sky around
> you...
>
> As far as actual environmental changes programmatically, I'm not sure if
> that is very feasable since it must mesh suitably with the region it
> surrounds.
>
> I have seen some cool effects by changing water levels from one region to
> the next (waterfalls) and using "out of sim" items like rocks, palm trees
> and small islands that are rooted in the sim by invisible primitives.  It
> lets you have full use of your entire sim while having the effect of things
> drifting around outside of the sim a bit.
>
> Other than that, not much else I can personally offer by way of changing
>  the environment outside of the sim/region.
>
> - Len W. Brown
>      [hidden email]
>
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 2:15 PM, zahms aridnamis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >   Hello all,
> >
> > I am wondering if anyone has expierimented with changing the environment
> > out side of the sim, the endless ocean and sky seen beyond. Has anyone
> > tried surrounding themselves with say mountains or a space environment?
> > Is this possible?
> >
> > I am not a programmer so the concept of coding a module to change this
> > eludes me. But I am curious if anyone has discussed this?
> >
> > be well

Re: changing environments?

LaeMing
Here are some screenshots salvaged from my old web site showing the effect:

http://home.exetel.com.au/impact/xx/distant.jpg

http://home.exetel.com.au/impact/xx/wading shelf.jpg

On Tuesday November 3 2009 07:47:49 LaeMing wrote:
> Before mega-regions gave me an alternative, I was using a huge hollow
>  cylinder around the perimeter of my sim with a landscape generated in
>  povray pasted on the inside. It worked quite well as it was never intended
>  to be viewed up close. Set it to phantom too as there was no need to touch
>  it ever - it was actually out of the sim bounds so touching it was
>  impossible anyway. It did wreck the minimap as it became a huge square
>  covering everything.

Re: changing environments?

drwhiet@spacefriends.de

link is:
http://home.exetel.com.au/impact/xx/wading%20shelf.jpg

for thse who can not open the 2nd picture ..

regards
Word