configuration tools for building opensim.ini file

configuration tools for building opensim.ini file

Mic Bowman

I spent some time over the holidays working on some configuration scripts to simplify building opensim.ini and regions.ini files. At this point, the opensim.ini configuration tool seems to be fairly stable (and we're now using it for all of the simulators that we run). In its simplest form, it can be used to create (and maintain) an OpenSim.ini file with all the standard OpenSim defaults. In its more complex form, it can automate generation of configuration files for a large number of simulators.

As part of writing the tool, I did put up a page that contains the grid configuration settings necessary to connect to ScienceSim: http://www.sciencescim.com/scisim/gridinfo.php.

Documentation and download are here: http://www.sciencesim.com/wiki/doku.php/ops/ostools. The code is provided completely as-is... it might work for you, it might not. But it sure made my life easier.

Oh yeah... one of the benefits is that this tool sorts the config file and standardizes the format. That means you can run diff on multiple versions to see exactly (and only) what has changed. Again... we found that very useful as we try to keep up with the changes coming from OpenSim core.

--mic

Re: configuration tools for building opensim.ini file

Karen_Palen
Thank you for an interesting set-up Mic, I hope to explore what you have done in the next few days.

The grid configuration settings URL has a subtle typo in the name, it should be:

http://www.sciencesim.com/scisim/gridinfo.php

Karen

> holidays working on some configuration scripts to simplify
> building opensim.ini and regions.ini files. At this point,
> the opensim.ini configuration tool seems to be fairly stable
> (and we're now using it for all of the simulators that
> we run). In its simplest form, it can be used to create (and
> maintain) an OpenSim.ini file with all the standard OpenSim
> defaults. In its more complex form, it can automate
> generation of configuration files for a large number of
> simulators.
>

> As part of writing the tool, I did put up a page that
> contains the grid configuration settings necessary to
> connect to ScienceSim: http://www.sciencescim.com/scisim/gridinfo.php.
>

> Documentation and download are here: http://www.sciencesim.com/wiki/doku.php/ops/ostools.
> The code is provided completely as-is... it might work for
> you, it might not. But it sure made my life easier.
>

> Oh yeah... one of the benefits is that this tool sorts the
> config file and standardizes the format. That means you can
> run diff on multiple versions to see exactly (and only) what
> has changed. Again... we found that very useful as we try to
> keep up with the changes coming from OpenSim core.
>

> --mic
>

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: configuration tools for building opensim.ini file

Mic Bowman
Thanks, Karen.

Obviously, the default setup is for sciencesim grid info, but it should be easily customizable for other grids.

I'll try to get the Regions.ini file config utility packaged up as soon as possible.

--mic