content licensing

JaniP
Hi,

I have been building the not yet officially launched web shop/resource for virtual goods content; terrains, avatar shapes etc (http://www.rexxed.com). I have been talking to many people inside SL and the content creators are afraid of someone stealing their content if they bring it to Opensim users.

Inside SL, the content is kind-of-licensed using tick marks like "no transfer" etc. I have followed dozens of discussions at different forums about content licensing, protection and rights. It seems that while content can be copied within SL without permission (stolen), people still feel that having a system that tries to prevent copying is better than not having any protection mechanism.

There is no technology to solve protection. This is more behavioral and social issue. When popular music shops removed DRM protection, they have experienced rise in sales. I believe that having a working licensing system would help a lot more.

Opensim needs a licensing scheme, where real licenses can be attached to assets. Is there already one? Once we get this clear, the content creators of SL can begin to trust that "life outside of SL sandbox" may be a working alternative.

Take a look at e.g. http://www.rexxed.com/2009/05/jaana-facegen-model/ for how I think content could be licensed. I am using CC licensed for free content and a commercial license for paid content. Same content can be distributed using many different licenses.

Comments?

Best regards,
Jani

Re: content licensing

Sacha Magne

Sites like renderosity.com exist for years and are still heatlhy. They offers product for Poser, 3dmx, lightwaves...

The real problem is not contents or licencing, but closed grid vs open grids. In a "closed" grid, the trust is implicit and most of them got real economy working.

Open grids are another story.

There is no way to prevent someone to run a tainted sim that will collect datas.

Sacha
K-grid

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Jani Pirkola <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://K-grid.com
Just be cause it's Kool

Re: content licensing

Tielk Goodliffe
Even on a "closed grid", you can't prevent a user from copying data.
Sorry for repeating what everyone already knows.

Re: content licensing

matt raffel
I think the point of the message is more about perception.

It feels like there is an attempt to keep illegal copying of assets in
Secondlife there fore that feels better than nothing at all.  If the
perception of asset security can be provided in OpenSim then people will
feel more positive about it.

Matt

Re: content licensing

Diva Canto
As far as I'm concerned, security will soon be a reality in
OpenSim-based open grids. In particular, security against rogue
simulators is not only feasible but some of us are already starting to
implement it and to lay out the client-server protocol changes that are
necessary. The refactoring that is going on right now is the foundation
that gives OpenSim the flexibility that this requires.

Once rogue simulators are no longer a threat, we'll be at the same level
as closed grids wrt content security. For that, there is no silver
bullet, but I've heard some really good ideas here that go beyond the
annotations used by Linden Lab.

matt raffel wrote:

> I think the point of the message is more about perception.
>
> It feels like there is an attempt to keep illegal copying of assets in
> Secondlife there fore that feels better than nothing at all.  If the
> perception of asset security can be provided in OpenSim then people will
> feel more positive about it.
>
> Matt

Re: content licensing

Dr Scofield
facts of life:

        1 --- the earth is not flat contrary to what you might think
        2 --- DRM does not work

licensing is the only reasonable way of dealing with this issue: it tells the
person acquiring an object what rights and obligations its creator/seller wants
to convey (i.e. what are you allowed to do with object, what do you have to do
with the object).

"permissions" in LL grid are nothing else but abridged licenses (or licenses for
dummies)(not meant derogatorily!).

        DrS/dirk

[hidden email] wrote:

> As far as I'm concerned, security will soon be a reality in
> OpenSim-based open grids. In particular, security against rogue
> simulators is not only feasible but some of us are already starting to
> implement it and to lay out the client-server protocol changes that are
> necessary. The refactoring that is going on right now is the foundation
> that gives OpenSim the flexibility that this requires.
>
> Once rogue simulators are no longer a threat, we'll be at the same level
> as closed grids wrt content security. For that, there is no silver
> bullet, but I've heard some really good ideas here that go beyond the
> annotations used by Linden Lab.
>
> matt raffel wrote:
>> I think the point of the message is more about perception.
>>
>> It feels like there is an attempt to keep illegal copying of assets in
>> Secondlife there fore that feels better than nothing at all.  If the
>> perception of asset security can be provided in OpenSim then people will
>> feel more positive about it.
>>
>> Matt

dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Re: content licensing

JaniP
Thank you both Diva and Dr Scofield,

some security is needed, the effect is psychological - even it can be broken, it still needs an action by the one who is stealing content.

I agree 100% with Dr Scofield that a way to bundle a license with every uploaded/built asset is the only way that makes sense. Usually people want to play by the rules (=licenses).

Jani