creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

mammoloji
Hello everybody,

I wanna ask you a question about avatars for opensim.

I am creating an avatar 3d max and then I want to import it to opensim to use in there. So is it possible to create an avatar outside of the opensim like objects and then import to opensim to be used? I dont mean changing clothes or getting new accossories to wear. I mean completly different avatar.

Thanks in advance

Re: creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

Robert L martin
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:14 AM, Mahmudi Kadiralam
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I wanna ask you a question about avatars for opensim.
>
> I am creating an avatar 3d max and then I want to import it to opensim to
> use in there. So is it possible to create an avatar outside of the opensim
> like objects and then import to opensim to be used? I dont mean changing
> clothes or getting new accossories to wear. I mean completly different
> avatar.

Okay the format you are looking for is DAE (collada) format which will
resultin a MESH avatar. I think at this point you still need to have a
more or less Biped avatar.

Due to the rigging of the avatar being a bit finicky you may want to
begin with an export from MakeHuman.

--
Robert L Martin

Re: creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

InuYasha Meiji
I would love to see someone come out with a four legged beast Skeleton
for a animal like an OX.  I would love to have animals around that I
could combine with the NPC possibilities of opensim to pull an OX cart
around and so on.

InuYasha.

On 9/27/2012 9:18 AM, Robert Martin wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 4:14 AM, Mahmudi Kadiralam
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I wanna ask you a question about avatars for opensim.
>>
>> I am creating an avatar 3d max and then I want to import it to opensim to
>> use in there. So is it possible to create an avatar outside of the opensim
>> like objects and then import to opensim to be used? I dont mean changing
>> clothes or getting new accossories to wear. I mean completly different
>> avatar.
>>
> Okay the format you are looking for is DAE (collada) format which will
> resultin a MESH avatar. I think at this point you still need to have a
> more or less Biped avatar.
>
> Due to the rigging of the avatar being a bit finicky you may want to
> begin with an export from MakeHuman.

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.3.1 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).

Re: creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

Slavin, Simon

On 27 Sep 2012, at 3:53pm, InuYasha Meiji wrote:

> I would love to see someone come out with a four legged beast Skeleton for a animal like an OX.  I would love to have animals around that I could combine with the NPC possibilities of opensim to pull an OX cart around and so on.

I have seen carts and balloons which you can 'pick up', and once attached they will follow you around.  The follow-around script tracks the location of the person who last picked them up, and makes appropriate movements when they move.  The animation wasn't very convincing, but it got the idea across.

Simon.

Re: creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

InuYasha Meiji
The cart in't really the hardest part, as I would like a realistic
looking animal avatar to make an npc out of to pull the cart.  I should
end here, as I am not sure if this is not what the originator meant by
making a mesh avatar and importing it.  I might have to make my own
subject line.  It is basically the same.  A mesh OX but with a four
legged AV skeleton.  Like what was originally asked

-InuYasha

On 9/27/2012 11:05 AM, Slavin, Simon wrote:

> On 27 Sep 2012, at 3:53pm, InuYasha Meiji wrote:
>
>> I would love to see someone come out with a four legged beast Skeleton for a animal like an OX.  I would love to have animals around that I could combine with the NPC possibilities of opensim to pull an OX cart around and so on.
> I have seen carts and balloons which you can 'pick up', and once attached they will follow you around.  The follow-around script tracks the location of the person who last picked them up, and makes appropriate movements when they move.  The animation wasn't very convincing, but it got the idea across.
>
> Simon.

Opensim User: Standalone Grid on Version 0.7.3.1 with 56 Regions
on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard
Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).

Re: creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

Robert L martin
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 1:15 PM, InuYasha Meiji
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The cart in't really the hardest part, as I would like a realistic looking
> animal avatar to make an npc out of to pull the cart.  I should end here, as
> I am not sure if this is not what the originator meant by making a mesh
> avatar and importing it.  I might have to make my own subject line.  It is
> basically the same.  A mesh OX but with a four legged AV skeleton.  Like
> what was originally asked
>
> -InuYasha

i think if you make a Ox with a biped frame you can use animations to
convert it to a Quad.

--
Robert L Martin

Re: creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

Trinity
i believe any animations or AO meant to make a biped act like a 4 legged animal should work. the key is to create the avatar like a biped

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Slavin, Simon <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 27 Sep 2012, at 3:53pm, InuYasha Meiji wrote:

> I would love to see someone come out with a four legged beast Skeleton for a animal like an OX.  I would love to have animals around that I could combine with the NPC possibilities of opensim to pull an OX cart around and so on.

I have seen carts and balloons which you can 'pick up', and once attached they will follow you around.  The follow-around script tracks the location of the person who last picked them up, and makes appropriate movements when they move.  The animation wasn't very convincing, but it got the idea across.

Simon.

Re: creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

mammoloji
Hello everybody,

Thanks for your answers. But I could not understand exactly. I think it is because of I am newbei .

So could you please  answer my questions one by on;

1. What program do I need to use while creating the avatars?

2. What file extenstion should I create the avatar?

3. What should I do to import the avatar to opensim?

4. If I successfully import the avatar to opensim, Will the avatar be object or avatar which can interact with the environtment?

5. If the avatars are to be an object inactively, What am I supposed to do to make it like real avatar to use in the environment?

Thanks

Re: creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

Toni Alatalo-2
On Sep 28, 2012, at 10:49 AM, mammoloji wrote:
> So could you please  answer my questions one by on;

one route is what was mentioned in the earlier posts too. not the only option, but at least give you free form avatars in a kind of normal (like 3d gfx/games is typically made) way:

> 1. What program do I need to use while creating the avatars?

Blender or some other 3d modeller (wings, maya, max, ..)

> 2. What file extenstion should I create the avatar?

.dae is the Collada file extension ('digital asset exchange' or so)

> 3. What should I do to import the avatar to opensim?

upload collada mesh i suppose, like how that works with sl normally i'd guess

> 4. If I successfully import the avatar to opensim, Will the avatar be object
> or avatar which can interact with the environtment?

yes.

> 5. If the avatars are to be an object inactively, What am I supposed to do
> to make it like real avatar to use in the environment?

i suppose you wear the appearance or something similar to changing av appearances in general? am not sure, haven't tested mesh avs with sl/opensim myself (work with realxtend myself and there we've so far used meshes only)

~Toni

Re: creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

gregor.mendle
2012/9/28 mammoloji <[hidden email]>:
> Hello everybody,

Hello

> Thanks for your answers. But I could not understand exactly. I think it is
> because of I am newbei .
>
> So could you please  answer my questions one by on;

I hope my answers can help

> 1. What program do I need to use while creating the avatars?
>
> 2. What file extenstion should I create the avatar?

I think you can use any program able to export as collada (extension
.dae) you can use the same format for a mesh avatar than for any other
mesh attachment

> 3. What should I do to import the avatar to opensim?

You have to import the mesh with a mesh enabled viewer the same way
you would import any mesh attachment. Problably you will need an alpha
texture to make your avatar invisible, keeping visible only the mesh
avatar.

> 4. If I successfully import the avatar to opensim, Will the avatar be object
> or avatar which can interact with the environtment?
>
> 5. If the avatars are to be an object inactively, What am I supposed to do
> to make it like real avatar to use in the environment?

Your new mesh avatar must be rigged with the same bones as the
original avatar to be able to move and use animations.

There is an non-free addon for blender (http://blender.org) named
Avastar that can help to make new mesh avatars:

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/avastar/

There is also a free avatar.blend file yo can pick from
http://blog.machinimatrix.org/avatar-workbench/

It has less facilities than Avastar but you can follow the instrucions
in the web page about how you can copy the bone weighs of the original
avatar to your new mesh avatar.

You can also follow the video tutorials at:

http://blog.machinimatrix.org/category/documents/reference-guides/avastar-reference/

I think they could be of great help to understand the whole process

> Thanks

You are very welcome,

On Sep 28, 2012, at 10:56 AM, Toni Alatalo wrote:
>> 5. If the avatars are to be an object inactively, What am I supposed to do
>> to make it like real avatar to use in the environment?
> i suppose you wear the appearance or something similar to changing av appearances in general? am not sure, haven't tested mesh avs with sl/opensim myself (work with realxtend myself and

Or if you meant decorating the scene with automated avatars, I've understood that the relatively new NPC support in Opensimulator is nice. (I think that was mentioned here in an earlier post as well)

~Toni

Re: creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

Tokeiito
heh http://blog.machinimatrix.org/avatar-workbench/ one quick look
into google and all answers are there.

---

Respectfully,

Tokeiito Imako

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Toni Alatalo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2012, at 10:56 AM, Toni Alatalo wrote:
>>> 5. If the avatars are to be an object inactively, What am I supposed to do
>>> to make it like real avatar to use in the environment?
>> i suppose you wear the appearance or something similar to changing av appearances in general? am not sure, haven't tested mesh avs with sl/opensim myself (work with realxtend myself and
>
> Or if you meant decorating the scene with automated avatars, I've understood that the relatively new NPC support in Opensimulator is nice. (I think that was mentioned here in an earlier post as well)
>
> ~Toni

Re: creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

mammoloji
Thanks for your answer. they are really useful for me.

I come until this stage

What should I do to import the avatar to opensim?

You have to import the mesh with a mesh enabled viewer the same way
you would import any mesh attachment. Problably you will need an alpha
texture to make your avatar invisible, keeping visible only the mesh
avatar.

I tried imprudence and singularity viewer to upload .dae file.

I also this code to opensim.ini

[Mesh]
; enable / disable Collada mesh support
; default is true
AllowMeshUpload = true

I am still not able to upload dae files to opensim

thanks

Re: creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

mammoloji
I tried  those options

File -> upload
File -> import object
File -> import and upload

Still could not import .dae files to opensim

Re: creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

Chris M
You need to use a Mesh enabled viewer such as Firestorm, Phoenix, or
Singularity, then use the Upload Model option. Imprudence as far as I
know does not support this.

On 9/28/2012 8:12 AM, mammoloji wrote:

> I tried  those options
>
> File -> upload
> File -> import object
> File -> import and upload
>
> Still could not import .dae files to opensim

OpenSim: 10 Region Standalone on 0.7.4 Dev
Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
OS: Windows 7 (x64)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz
Memory: 11 GB DDR3
Database: MySQL 5.1.63 (x64)

Re: creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

mammoloji
I tried in singularity viewer, too..

 I could not find where the Upload model option. Could you tell me please where exactly it is?

I only see image, sound, animation, bulk, import xml, import with textures under file menu

Re: creating completely different avatar then use it on opensim‏

InuYasha Meiji
I just found it myself.  I remembered seeing it in Firestorm.  It is
under BUILD -> UPLOAD -> MESH MODEL.  An no I am yet to try it.
I use 3DSMAX 9 and need to get a dependable .DAE plugin that works.  To
busy with other builds to worry YET.  Good luck.

InuYasha.