database location?

CiderJack
I am actually kind of afraid of the answer to this question...: Where
is the database file stored?

So, funny story...

I'm running XAMPP & d2 (or rather, I was) and XAMPP was causing
problems for me. In the course of troubleshooting, I figured a complete
reinstall of XAMPP was in order. Since I was using the 7z version of
XAMPP, I simply deleted the whole folder - and proceeded to empty the
recycle bin (gotta keep tidy, you know). I then reinstalled XAMPP, but
OpenSim won't run. Then my brain kicked into gear...

Where does OpenSim keep the actual database files on the HDD? Are they
stored in a directory in OpenSim, or in MySQL within XAMPP?

I really really hope I haven't done something embarasingly foolish...!
(Backups? Who has the time?)

~!CJ

Re: database location?

CiderJack
Well. I guess that settles that. I hadn't actually done any
configuration for the database in OpenSim, and no .db files are to be
found.

I actually was (mostly) joking about backups, so really all I lost is
basically the last three months of my avatar inventory. *Most*
everything on the sims are backed up on .oar files, so not much lost
there. A couple of medium-sized projects will need to be redone. It's
just a personal working space, so nobody else was affected, thank
goodness.

I tried a free data recovery program, and nothing it came up with was
of any use. Also digging around forums & whathaveyou online it sounds
like once a database has become that far disconnected from it's roots
it's pretty much a total write-off, or at least not worth the effort to
me at this point.

Oh well, now I know for next time. Nothing I can't replace - at least,
nothing I've remembered yet! Thanks for the help guys!

~!CJ

Re: database location?

Chris M
I know this won't help you in recovering your lost data; but for the
future it may be helpful to log into your MySQL instance and use
mysqldump to export your database to a .sql file to be used for later in
case recovery is needed. It's much less time consuming and less tedious
than saving individual IARs and OARs. I usually do just this for
periodic backup. But I do recommend taking the time to also do IARs and
OARs of the important stuff for the sake of having that one extra backup
just in case; every once in a while =)

Just a thought but hope it helps!

On 9/23/2013 6:41 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Well. I guess that settles that. I hadn't actually done any
> configuration for the database in OpenSim, and no .db files are to be
> found.
>
> I actually was (mostly) joking about backups, so really all I lost is
> basically the last three months of my avatar inventory. *Most*
> everything on the sims are backed up on .oar files, so not much lost
> there. A couple of medium-sized projects will need to be redone. It's
> just a personal working space, so nobody else was affected, thank
> goodness.
>
> I tried a free data recovery program, and nothing it came up with was
> of any use. Also digging around forums & whathaveyou online it sounds
> like once a database has become that far disconnected from it's roots
> it's pretty much a total write-off, or at least not worth the effort
> to me at this point.
>
> Oh well, now I know for next time. Nothing I can't replace - at least,
> nothing I've remembered yet! Thanks for the help guys!
>
> ~!CJ

OpenSim: 10 Region Standalone on 0.7.6 Dev
Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
OS: Windows 7 (x64)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz
Memory: 11 GB DDR3
Database: MySQL 5.1.63 (x64)

Re: database location?

EGBainbridge/Apollo Manga
This post was updated on .
I do regular backups of my MySQL database and I also create OAR and TERRAIN files for each region. When people are doing work in my grid, I do daily backups, otherwise I do backups every couple of days.  I'm planning also to set up a RAID 1 for an additional level of protection.

It's easy to restore regions from OAR files, but there's a huge amount of information in the database that's not in OAR files, so I find it useful to do both types of backups.

IAR files aren't useful if you have other users and you don't know their passwords.  You need the database for restoring their data.

Apollo Manga (Erik Gordon Bainbridge)
Writer, instructor, former software engineer
Northern California
ErikBainbridge.com
VirtualMarin.com
hypergrid: marin.us.com:8002

Re: database location?

Luisillo Contepomi
The database was in folder MySQL.. has been deleted and after has been reinstalled ... I think the files has been totally and really deleted.
But who know... may be with a forensic tool as http://www.sleuthkit.org/sleuthkit/desc.php try to recover your erased database.
Regards,
Luisillo

2013/9/23 <[hidden email]>
I am actually kind of afraid of the answer to this question...: Where is the database file stored?

So, funny story...

I'm running XAMPP & d2 (or rather, I was) and XAMPP was causing problems for me. In the course of troubleshooting, I figured a complete reinstall of XAMPP was in order. Since I was using the 7z version of XAMPP, I simply deleted the whole folder - and proceeded to empty the recycle bin (gotta keep tidy, you know). I then reinstalled XAMPP, but OpenSim won't run. Then my brain kicked into gear...

Where does OpenSim keep the actual database files on the HDD? Are they stored in a directory in OpenSim, or in MySQL within XAMPP?

I really really hope I haven't done something embarasingly foolish...! (Backups? Who has the time?)

~!CJ

Re: database location?

XenaW
For me OAR's takes hours and hours. Database backup is always in less than a minute.

Re: database location?

hack13
Just be aware if the grid your regions are connected to crash and burn, the database backup is useless. It only saves hooks to the AssetIDs of the grid's asset server.