default avatar appearance

Mic Bowman
Currently (well... the last time I checked forge for a new version was
about a month ago), a new user created through opensimwi is the
default ruth and the appearance & wearables are not modifiable. Is
there an easy way to create a default, modifiable appearance? Or,
better yet, be able to select an appearance when a new account is
created? Do any of the other control services provide this capability?

--mic

Re: default avatar appearance

Dirk Krause
Chris Hart over at ReactionGrid achieved that, and she'll hopefully blog how to do that.

From twitter (read from bottom up):

dirkk@dstrawberrygirl
  wow! that would be mucho appreciato!

dstrawberrygirl@dirkk
  since a lot of the code was copy/paste and used base OS types, hope eventually
  to make generic module for all OS folks if I have time

dirkk@dstrawberrygirl
  *gulp* I see. I thought it was more like 'do_everything_ as_I_wish = true;'

dstrawberrygirl@dirkk
  make base avatars, write code to replicate inventory for new avatars,
  creating items and folders as necessary. Lots of code! :)

dirkk@dstrawberrygirl
  very cool! care to explain how you achieved that?

dstrawberrygirl
  Farewell to Ruth'd avatars on
  ReactionGrid http://reactiongrid.com/default/BlogZone/ninjablog.aspx

winmail.dat (4K) Download Attachment

Re: default avatar appearance

Stefan Andersson
Basically, a couple of proprietary grids offer both these functionalitites; it's part of the Tribal Server offering, and recently apparently Reactiongrid has implemented it.

Basically, library assets are read-only, so they need to be copied to the users inventory to be modifiable. Also, 'worn' items need to be in the users inventory.

We were going to put the Tribal Server components doing this into the open source domain, but it turned out to be too much work to break it out as a separate component.

Basically, what you want to do is implement some functionality that on 'create user' (or something like that) interacts with the inventory service and user service to clone and wear a template set of assets. (This can be specified in an number of ways, the most flexible just specifying a whole avatar to 'clone' with inventory and all)

Again, sorry we couldn't pry our code apart, but it should be failry simple to re-implement, at least partially.

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB

> Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:04:36 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Opensim-users] default avatar appearance
>
> Currently (well... the last time I checked forge for a new version was
> about a month ago), a new user created through opensimwi is the
> default ruth and the appearance & wearables are not modifiable. Is
> there an easy way to create a default, modifiable appearance? Or,
> better yet, be able to select an appearance when a new account is
> created? Do any of the other control services provide this capability?
>
> --mic

Re: default avatar appearance

Mic Bowman
OpenSimWI directly manipulates the MySQL database to create avatar
accounts (do we have a create user XMLRPC call on the user server in
grid mode yet?). I know enough about the MySQL layout to write some
sql code into opensimwi to create the assets necessary and to populate
the inventory... but the solution would be *very* brittle (and far
more work than it's worth).

--mic

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Stefan Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Basically, a couple of proprietary grids offer both these functionalitites;
> it's part of the Tribal Server offering, and recently apparently
> Reactiongrid has implemented it.
>
> Basically, library assets are read-only, so they need to be copied to the
> users inventory to be modifiable. Also, 'worn' items need to be in the users
> inventory.
>
> We were going to put the Tribal Server components doing this into the open
> source domain, but it turned out to be too much work to break it out as a
> separate component.
>
> Basically, what you want to do is implement some functionality that on
> 'create user' (or something like that) interacts with the inventory service
> and user service to clone and wear a template set of assets. (This can be
> specified in an number of ways, the most flexible just specifying a whole
> avatar to 'clone' with inventory and all)
>
> Again, sorry we couldn't pry our code apart, but it should be failry simple
> to re-implement, at least partially.
>
> Best regards,
> Stefan Andersson
> Tribal Media AB
>

>> Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:04:36 -0700
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: [Opensim-users] default avatar appearance
>>
>> Currently (well... the last time I checked forge for a new version was
>> about a month ago), a new user created through opensimwi is the
>> default ruth and the appearance & wearables are not modifiable. Is
>> there an easy way to create a default, modifiable appearance? Or,
>> better yet, be able to select an appearance when a new account is
>> created? Do any of the other control services provide this capability?
>>
>> --mic

Re: default avatar appearance

This would be tres tres cool to see, and definitely worth of being a core module imo.

Dirk Krause wrote:

> Chris Hart over at ReactionGrid achieved that, and she'll hopefully blog how to do that.
>
>>From twitter (read from bottom up):
>
> dirkk@dstrawberrygirl
>   wow! that would be mucho appreciato!
>
> dstrawberrygirl@dirkk
>   since a lot of the code was copy/paste and used base OS types, hope eventually
>   to make generic module for all OS folks if I have time
>
> dirkk@dstrawberrygirl
>   *gulp* I see. I thought it was more like 'do_everything_ as_I_wish = true;'
>
> dstrawberrygirl@dirkk
>   make base avatars, write code to replicate inventory for new avatars,
>   creating items and folders as necessary. Lots of code! :)
>
> dirkk@dstrawberrygirl
>   very cool! care to explain how you achieved that?
>
> dstrawberrygirl
>   Farewell to Ruth'd avatars on
>   ReactionGrid http://reactiongrid.com/default/BlogZone/ninjablog.aspx

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: default avatar appearance

Chris Hart
In a nutshell...

Basically, we currently have six template users that I've dressed up in some non-Ruth clothing, though each avatar has all six outfits available, plus some other stuff we make available to the Gridizens. We can change their appearance every now and then to give a little variety to our grid, and it doesn't take a bundle of effort to do that (aside from making the clothing, which is a long arduous process, but I digress). The principle is to essentially clone the inventory of the selected avatar and pre-populate the new user's inventory, and set the wearables so they arrive wearing the clothing they chose.

I knew what pieces of data in the database would need replicating, creating, etc. but when I came to writing the code I ended up thinking "I just need an object to represent an appearance" or "I just need an object to represent an inventory item" so after about 2 minutes of thinking how best to proceed, I came to the conclusion that I was reinventing the wheel. But that this was not necessarily bad for a proof of concept that had a usable outcome.

While the current code I have on our grid is MSSQL-specific, I achieved the goal by copying and pasting some data methods straight from the MSSQL opensim code, and referencing OpenSim.Framework and OpenMetaverse to get the types I needed. I don't think it would be hard to take that and make a similar system work for others. The goal being that you can clone the inventory of any user you specify. It's not something everyone would want, and the mechanism for choosing a template avatar - well, that would be up for discussion. I have written an ASP.NET application for the purpose and tie the avatar on screen to a uuid that I have obtained from OpenSim. I imagine the PHP-lovers out there could have some fun with a similar system for WI. The end result is here: http://reactiongrid.com/register.aspx

What I'm not sure about is how best to tackle making this available to others, but given that the methods for getting items from inventory, creating items, storing items are all available in one form or another in core code, it's a case of plugging in somehow and calling the appropriate methods in the right order to do the cloning process.

Open to ideas, comments, etc. :)

Dirk Krause wrote:

> Chris Hart over at ReactionGrid achieved that, and she'll hopefully blog how to do that.
>
>>From twitter (read from bottom up):
>
> dirkk@dstrawberrygirl
>   wow! that would be mucho appreciato!
>
> dstrawberrygirl@dirkk
>   since a lot of the code was copy/paste and used base OS types, hope eventually
>   to make generic module for all OS folks if I have time
>
> dirkk@dstrawberrygirl
>   *gulp* I see. I thought it was more like 'do_everything_ as_I_wish = true;'
>
> dstrawberrygirl@dirkk
>   make base avatars, write code to replicate inventory for new avatars,
>   creating items and folders as necessary. Lots of code! :)
>
> dirkk@dstrawberrygirl
>   very cool! care to explain how you achieved that?
>
> dstrawberrygirl
>   Farewell to Ruth'd avatars on
>   ReactionGrid http://reactiongrid.com/default/BlogZone/ninjablog.aspx

Jeroen van Veen
wixtd has stock avatar selection on registration. it's pretty much prealpha
software atm though.

wrote:

> > Basically, a couple of proprietary grids offer both these
> > functionalitites; it's part of the Tribal Server offering, and recently
> > apparently Reactiongrid has implemented it.
> >
> > Basically, library assets are read-only, so they need to be copied to the
> > users inventory to be modifiable. Also, 'worn' items need to be in the
> > users inventory.
> >
> > We were going to put the Tribal Server components doing this into the
> > open source domain, but it turned out to be too much work to break it out
> > as a separate component.
> >
> > Basically, what you want to do is implement some functionality that on
> > 'create user' (or something like that) interacts with the inventory
> > service and user service to clone and wear a template set of assets.
> > (This can be specified in an number of ways, the most flexible just
> > specifying a whole avatar to 'clone' with inventory and all)
> >
> > Again, sorry we couldn't pry our code apart, but it should be failry
> > simple to re-implement, at least partially.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Stefan Andersson
> > Tribal Media AB
> >
> >> Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:04:36 -0700
> >> From: [hidden email]
> >> To: [hidden email]
> >> Subject: [Opensim-users] default avatar appearance
> >>
> >> Currently (well... the last time I checked forge for a new version was
> >> about a month ago), a new user created through opensimwi is the
> >> default ruth and the appearance & wearables are not modifiable. Is
> >> there an easy way to create a default, modifiable appearance? Or,
> >> better yet, be able to select an appearance when a new account is
> >> created? Do any of the other control services provide this capability?
> >>
> >> --mic

Re: default avatar appearance

Stefan Andersson
Yeah, that's basically what we did, and the conclusion we reached too.

I guess what we should do is to invite some general discussions on how we would support for 'first appearance' to look in OpenSim, and then we can see how our existing code could contribute to that.

So, people, how would you want the 'first appearance' cloning and wearing to work?

I guess Chris took the fast route and copied rows into the database, whereas we post the data to the inventory and user services, and let them update the database and internal caches. (The latter because the web site is oftenly not on the opensim db machine in our cases)

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB

> Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 21:50:15 +0000
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] default avatar appearance
>
> In a nutshell...
>
> Basically, we currently have six template users that I've dressed up in some non-Ruth clothing, though each avatar has all six outfits available, plus some other stuff we make available to the Gridizens. We can change their appearance every now and then to give a little variety to our grid, and it doesn't take a bundle of effort to do that (aside from making the clothing, which is a long arduous process, but I digress). The principle is to essentially clone the inventory of the selected avatar and pre-populate the new user's inventory, and set the wearables so they arrive wearing the clothing they chose.
>
> I knew what pieces of data in the database would need replicating, creating, etc. but when I came to writing the code I ended up thinking "I just need an object to represent an appearance" or "I just need an object to represent an inventory item" so after about 2 minutes of thinking how best to proceed, I came to the conclusion that I was reinventing the wheel. But that this was not necessarily bad for a proof of concept that had a usable outcome.
>
> While the current code I have on our grid is MSSQL-specific, I achieved the goal by copying and pasting some data methods straight from the MSSQL opensim code, and referencing OpenSim.Framework and OpenMetaverse to get the types I needed. I don't think it would be hard to take that and make a similar system work for others. The goal being that you can clone the inventory of any user you specify. It's not something everyone would want, and the mechanism for choosing a template avatar - well, that would be up for discussion. I have written an ASP.NET application for the purpose and tie the avatar on screen to a uuid that I have obtained from OpenSim. I imagine the PHP-lovers out there could have some fun with a similar system for WI. The end result is here: http://reactiongrid.com/register.aspx
>
> What I'm not sure about is how best to tackle making this available to others, but given that the methods for getting items from inventory, creating items, storing items are all available in one form or another in core code, it's a case of plugging in somehow and calling the appropriate methods in the right order to do the cloning process.
>
> Open to ideas, comments, etc. :)

mw-2
Actually with us moving our code to the standard opensim user server, the bigger problem that we had was that the user server was a big monolithic class so hard to add extra things too. Especially if those extras wouldn't be wanted on all grids/setups.

While we still don't have a real module system yet (thats still a work in progress), I think I could easily add some of our basic appearance creation code. And just leave it disabled by default for now. Then anyone can enable it if they want.

So if I get time tonight, I will add some basic appearance cloning code to opensim's userserver. Which will accept a http request to clone some clothes/body parts from a existing users inventory to a new avatar's inventory/appearance. So then you can create outfits in world and just set them as the "templates" that new users get given.