dropping regions

enauman
I am running 8 regions on version r13458, 0.7.0.1, Diva Distro using serverless grid configuration and 3 of them keep dropping out on the client side. I can teleport to them for a moment and then get kicked. The console logfile contents from that moment are posted below.
I can relog to connect again. I'm wondering if my server box isn't quite robust enough to run 8 concurrent instances. It's a 6 year-old pc, something like 2G ram, Pentium 2.6Ghz. But then it's always these 3 dropping out, not any others. If I stay on one of these problem regions all other regions drop out like that one is no longer part of the grid. I'm thinking it's something I'm being inconsistent with in the grid service registration but I can't figure out what.
I'll try updating them to r13861 next.
Thanks for any help!
-Erik

2010-09-27 13:43:45,112 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.Scene [CONNECTION BEGIN]: Region Yellow stage told of incoming child agent Erik Nauman 088afec6-025f-4b7b-8fa9-24b874fd8eb8 (circuit code 1142184691, teleportflags 0)
2010-09-27 13:43:45,112 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.Framework.Scenes.Scene [CONNECTION BEGIN]: Region Yellow stage authenticated and authorized incoming child agent Erik Nauman 088afec6-025f-4b7b-8fa9-24b874fd8eb8 (circuit code 1142184691)
2010-09-27 13:43:45,112 DEBUG - OpenSim.Framework.Capabilities.Caps [CAPS]: Registered seed capability /CAPS/c4c381b5-e457-48f0-a869-fb6b2865e4980000/ for 088afec6-025f-4b7b-8fa9-24b874fd8eb8
2010-09-27 13:43:45,128 DEBUG - OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.Framework.EventQueue.EventQueueGetModule [EVENTQUEUE]: Adding new queue for agent 088afec6-025f-4b7b-8fa9-24b874fd8eb8 in region Yellow stage
2010-09-27 13:43:45,128 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.Avatar.ObjectCaps.ObjectAdd [OBJECTADD]: /CAPS/OA/6262508d-6ee9-4822-9da2-2766e4bc6c3a/
2010-09-27 13:43:45,128 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.DataSnapshot.DataRequestHandler [DATASNAPSHOT]: Registering service discovery capability for 088afec6-025f-4b7b-8fa9-24b874fd8eb8
2010-09-27 13:43:45,128 DEBUG - OpenSim.Region.OptionalModules.Avatar.Voice.FreeSwitchVoice.FreeSwitchVoiceModule [FreeSwitchVoice] OnRegisterCaps: agentID 088afec6-025f-4b7b-8fa9-24b874fd8eb8 caps OpenSim.Framework.Capabilities.Caps
2010-09-27 13:43:45,143 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.Avatar.ObjectCaps.GetTextureModule [GETTEXTURE]: /CAPS/ed96b5ef-3940-4043-876b-0dc2a0f99ae0
2010-09-27 13:43:45,347 DEBUG - OpenSim.Server.Handlers.Simulation.AgentHandler  >>> DoDelete action:; RegionID:367fafd2-5883-47a5-9f67-a5c4ec103d5d
2010-09-27 13:43:45,347 DEBUG - OpenSim.Server.Handlers.Simulation.AgentHandler [AGENT HANDLER]: Agent Released/Deleted.

Re: dropping regions

enauman
I have upgraded to the most recent distribution on all but one region and the problem persists...I would upgrade the final one but haven't had time to re-implement the new avatar creation options as they are changed in r13861.

Re: dropping regions

M.E. Verhagen
The server will not kick regions out when the server you are using is to slow.
In that case you would get low frame rates.

I would at least make a backup of your regions in oars and save those on another machine, when you doubt your servers hardware. Hardware failure always comes unexpected.

It is hard to say what is causing the issues you are experiencing. When you have made the backups you could try if the same happens on a clean install on another machine.

Re: dropping regions

enauman
Thanks for helping me rule out the hardware. I *think* I have one of the offending regions holding stable now. I started over building each new region from copies of the first and I think I've found that the region-dropping behavior starts when I start copying from copied bin folders rather than the original. That doesn't make sense to me, it should all be the same, but as soon as I did that I got a region that drops out again. I'll have to investigate that further tomorrow.

Re: dropping regions

enauman
I wonder if region dropping could be caused by regions belonging to different estates? I did find that the original region that I'm copying from belongs to a different estate than the rest due to a legacy setting I'd forgotten about in the many iterations of these regions. Still, it's only two regions that drop out, not all.

Re: dropping regions

M.E. Verhagen
You could check if the estates are connected oki to your regions.

In your database there are two tables to consider: estate_map and estate_settings

For every region there is a row in the estate_map table. The EstateID in the estate_map table should match an EstateID in the estate_settings table.

When the two regions have got an EstateID wich cannot be found in the estate_settings tabel, then correct this.

Re: dropping regions

enauman
Thanks Marcel,
Yes I was looking into that this morning. I found the tables and changed the outlier region to have the same estate ID as the others. Same problem with dropping regions. So then I removed the disappearing region's UUID from the region_map table, recopied the original bin folder and setup a new region with the unique values it should have (name, UUID, location, port) and loaded the OAR backup into it. So even in the DB it should be a completely new region. And it still drops out from the viewer! It just seems to disconnect from the grid...If I'm on it when it drops out all the other regions disappear.
After playing around alot it seems they mostly drop after teleporting, so I'll have to have people fly for now till I can lick this.
Argghh...

Re: dropping regions

M.E. Verhagen
Yeah that sounds like Arghhhh

There does not seem to be a clear something wich crashes the 2 regions.
Seems like geussing what it is, it could be something on the regions.

Maybe some prims with impossible possitions ?
Try the following query on your database and see if any prims pop up ?

SELECT *  FROM `prims` WHERE `GroupPositionX` < 0 OR `GroupPositionY` < 0

Or could it be some scripts or physics ?
Try disabling physics in opensim.ini with

physical_prim = false

Or set the scriptengines off bij setting

Enabled = false

in the xengine and
DotNetEngine sections

Re: dropping regions

enauman
There's very little building on them and all towards the center but good suggestions. It's not that they crash, just that they become disconnected from the grid somehow, but only from the client side as there's no console message alerting of any grid service problem.

I'm going to go the clean install route and restore them all from OARs tomorrow or next day. There's got to be some problem in the DB or maybe even a corrupt install file I'm copying from.

Re: dropping regions

enauman
Well...I wiped everything and rebuilt from a clean installer, new DB, restored everything from OARs and IARs. It still happens. More when I TP around, and occasionally when just flying. Is the standalone serverless grid just not that stable?

Re: dropping regions

Diva Canto
I have 2 different grids running as serverless grids. They run better
than grids with a robust server in the middle. You either have some
broken configurations or you are mixing megaregions. Megaregions don't
work well for TPs and crossings -- they are better at being isolated
islands.

enauman wrote:
> Well...I wiped everything and rebuilt from a clean installer, new DB,
> restored everything from OARs and IARs. It still happens. More when I TP
> around, and occasionally when just flying. Is the standalone serverless grid
> just not that stable?

Re: dropping regions

enauman
So in DivaPreferences.ini in Startup CombineContiguousRegions is set to true by default. Should I be changing that to false? Each sim instance is a single region but maybe that setting is messing up the grid?

Re: dropping regions

Diva Canto
You should not change anything in DivaPreferences.ini. You should
overwrite that variable in your own MyWorld.ini. So

[Startup]
CombineContiguousRegions = false

enauman wrote:
> So in DivaPreferences.ini in Startup CombineContiguousRegions is set to true
> by default. Should I be changing that to false? Each sim instance is a
> single region but maybe that setting is messing up the grid?

Re: dropping regions

enauman
That's excellent news and it all makes complete sense now. Thanks for your help!