export map?

Cider Jack
Hello all, I'd like to get some nice quality birdseye/map views of
some of the sims I'm building on my server. A solution that could
result in both a thumbnail size and a larger more detailed version
would be ideal.

On the opensimulator.org wiki there is mention of an 'export map'
command, which may work for the thumbnails (though this brings up
another issue, the in-world map is of low quality, showing land as
flat green with no indication of elevation or actual terrain.), though
it doesn't seem to be included even in the help file on v0.7.0.2 that
I am using. Simply manually trying to get my camera square above the
sim and taking a viewer snapshot or a screenshot is rather tedious and
would lead to inconsistent results.

Anyway, I am left wondering if there is an equivalent command to
'export map' that I just haven't found? Or has someone found some
other work-around that can generate consistent quality overhead views?

While writing this, it occurred to me perhaps a script that could take
control of the camera and square it to the sim at a specific elevation
might be acceptable... Any suggestions welcome :)

Cheers,
~!CJ

Re: export map?

aiaustin
I would suggest using the Warp3D Renderer for the maps making sure
you turn on the options to show texture on map cells and show objects
and then the HTTP request for each map cell.

OpenSim.ini  put in [Startup] section

Mapimagemodule = Warp3DImageModule
TextureOnMapTile = true
DrawPrimOnMapTile = true

Then use requests of this form fro each of your regions...

e.g.

http://virtual.aiai.ed.ac.uk:9000/index.php?method=regionImage9c8b6f8f81784a6992dc9feba4646e6b

Example of maps along with some void cell images and scripts to put
up a different image if the server is not on-line for OpenVue is at:
http://virtual.aiai.ed.ac.uk:8002/resources/map.html
Note maps on that are scaled down to the size served which is 200 x 200 pixels

Re: export map?

Cider Jack
Sorry, I had intended to send these both to the list, not just to Ai
:) Still needing help on this...

Sent at 12:19pm
-----
Thanks Ai! The thumb you linked looks like exactly what I need! I'll
give your suggestion a shot and respond in this thread how it goes.

Also, I discovered an error of my own -- I had been using the
non-existent command 'export map' when it should have been
'export-map' with a hyphen... doh! So when trying it with the correct
command, it does indeed export a jpeg, however it seems to only create
a big blue square, all water and not a sim in sight.

When trying the camera idea I mentioned previous, it would appear that
camera lsl has not yet been implemented in OpenSim?

Cheers,
~!CJ

Sent at 4:44pm
-----
Hmmm, afraid I'm not able to follow your directions. I made the
changes to the opensim.ini file (especially good to have the
TextureOnMapTile=True), and now the world map shows terrain more
accurately! A step in the right direction, to be sure. That was the
easy part.

The only information to be found online about Warp3D (other than a few
bug reports regarding implementation in connection to OS) refers to
Amiga computers, and I can't figure out how it applies to OpenSim or
how to utilize it?

I don't really understand the bit about the 'request' url. I
understand that I need to substitute the relevant information into the
format provided, but I'm not sure where to find and/or put the
necessary information.

The 'export-map' command still results in a big blue square as well.
Searching online about this, others seem to have this problem but
haven't seen a solution.

Apologies for being so dense, I'm relatively new to the backend so I'm
still at the beginning of the learning curve!

Thanks,
~!CJ

Re: export map?

Cider Jack
Awesome, it works like a charm :)

It was indeed the hyphens -- seems obvious in hindsight, but I'm glad
you spotted it!

Thanks again for all your help Ai! Will post this to the list for
future reference.

Now, this leads into the next step in the process: I need to generate
that 'tile' output at specific resolutions. Needs to be high quality,
so I can't just stretch or shrink the existing graphic without image
loss. It seems to have defaulted to 256x256 pixels, would be nice to
get a thumbnail of around 120 pixels, and possibly something a bit
larger with more detail somewhere in the 350-600 pixel range. Possibly
the Warp3DRender module might have an .ini file I could poke around
in, not sure how that works, will look into it....

Thanks again!
~!CJ

On 4/7/11, Ai Austin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 10:39 07/04/2011, Cider Jack wrote:
>>I got the changes in the opensim.ini file done the first time around,
>>that was no problem. Now that I understand Warp3d is an included
>>module in OpenSim, that part makes sense -- I had never heard of it
>>until your email. Now I'm stuck on the URL. I found the region UUID
>>via the 'show region' console command, which tells me:
>>
>>UUID:  fc5cb537-a332-4f95-ae06-7b2ba2ab76c2
>>URI:    http://127.0.0.1:9000
>>
>>I'm using sim-on-a-stick (on my hdd rather than usb), which I probably
>>should have mentioned previously. So anyway, plugging these numbers
>>into the URL:
>>
>>http://127.0.0.1:9000/index.php?method=regionImagefc5cb537-a332-4f95-ae06-7b2ba2ab76c2
>
> Ah.. I remember something. Remove all the - (hyphens) now.  If that
> does not work replace 127.0.0.1:9000 by localhost:9000
>
> Note my working example has all teh hyphens removed from the UUID.
> not sure why they chose to do it that way.  If it works make a note
> of that on the  mOpenSinm mailign list to point people in the right
> direction.
>

>>"The Warp3dRender engine is included in the standard 0.7.1 dev build."
>>
>>Just now saw that - I'm using 0.7.0.2 diva distro. Maybe that's what
>>it's getting hung up on?
>

> I think Warp3DRender is also in 0.7.0.2 in fact.  But in any case the
> index.php?methodregionImage URl has been working well before
> that.  It would just not show the more detailed tile that Warp3D Render
> gives.

Re: export map?

I could not find information on the wiki about the
Warop3dMapImageModule so started a simple page with the information
exchanged on it...

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Warp3DImageModule

If there is already information somewhere, or if people have more
information please add it to the wiki.