exporting prims as mesh using Singularity 1.8.1

exporting prims as mesh using Singularity 1.8.1

John "Pathfinder" Lester
Hi folks,

I just discovered Singularity's new ability to export any prim-based object as a mesh model (save as .obj or .dae).  Wow...

Has anyone else been playing around with this feature?  Is there documentation somewhere I can check out?  Are they planning to add the ability to include texture mapping in the future?

I'm really blown away by this feature.  Great work, Singularity developers!

-Pathfinder

http://about.me/pathfinder

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Re: exporting prims as mesh using Singularity 1.8.1

R.Gunther
I heared that the mesh exporter would increase Land Impatc.
Still not sure why you want to export mesh, you can upload fresh one from your hdd to. Or use oar / iar.

Re: exporting prims as mesh using Singularity 1.8.1

Robert L martin
personally i would make sure to clean up the mesh before it was uploaded (partly to fix this and partly because i wanted to use the prim version to rough out a model)

On 2013-08-15 13:45, John Lester wrote:
Hi folks,

I just discovered Singularity's new ability to export any prim-based object as a mesh model (save as .obj or .dae).  Wow...

Has anyone else been playing around with this feature?  Is there documentation somewhere I can check out?  Are they planning to add the ability to include texture mapping in the future?

I'm really blown away by this feature.  Great work, Singularity developers!

-Pathfinder

http://about.me/pathfinder

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Robert L Martin

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: exporting prims as mesh using Singularity 1.8.1

Chris M
The mesh exporter can theoretically increase land impact because it translates each face into a separate object. If you upload it as-is with out any prep work done to the resulting .obj file you can end up with a high land impact. For example, a cube has 6 faces on it. Mesh exporter would translate each face to a separate object. If uploaded with out any modification to it, you would now have an object with a land impact of 6 because those objects weren't joined together in say... Blender (or your 3D editor of choice); If you unlinked the object you would find that you can edit and move each side of the cube as if it were it's own prim. You would have to import the object to your editor, apply a material to each side of the cube (to preserve the fact that each side is a face. If you simply just joined all the sides with no materials then you would end up with a cube that has only 1 face) and then join all those sides together into one object. Then when you export that to .dae and upload it, you now have a cube that only takes 1 land impact, still has 6 faces, and is all one object (that is, you can't edit each side and move them around individually).

It's ultimately up to the person exporting mesh to do that work or not, but with a little patience, the resulting export can be worked to have the same land impact as the original.

There's plenty of reasons why someone would want to do this. For example, I had an old attachment I created a while back that was roughly 30 prims. By converting it to mesh, I was able to edit and join lots of pieces together (using up to 8 materials per object) into a single object. The result? 3 prim count and an attachment that is worlds easier to size to your avatar. It was also able to be rigged with some pretty decent results.

On 2013-08-15 13:45, John Lester wrote:
Hi folks,

I just discovered Singularity's new ability to export any prim-based object as a mesh model (save as .obj or .dae).  Wow...

Has anyone else been playing around with this feature?  Is there documentation somewhere I can check out?  Are they planning to add the ability to include texture mapping in the future?

I'm really blown away by this feature.  Great work, Singularity developers!

-Pathfinder

http://about.me/pathfinder

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

OpenSim: 10 Region Standalone on 0.7.6 Dev
Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
OS: Windows 7 (x64)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz
Memory: 11 GB DDR3
Database: MySQL 5.1.63 (x64)

Re: exporting prims as mesh using Singularity 1.8.1

Kay McLennan
On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 6:45 AM, John Lester <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks,

I just discovered Singularity's new ability to export any prim-based object as a mesh model (save as .obj or .dae).  Wow...

John, et al,

Thank you for sharing the news about this [nothing short of "epic"] development!  At the same time, I am currently in my grid using the Singularity viewer 1.8.1 and cannot find an export tool (?).  [Note:  I did find a fun "fake away" status!]

Does anyone know how to activate the export tool(s)?

Best,
Kay

Re: exporting prims as mesh using Singularity 1.8.1

Nick Zwart
Hi Kay,

The export function is in the third layer of the circle menu. So when you have some prims linked together. Right click on the prims, you will see the circle menu. Now at the bottom of this circle, select: More> - More> (again) - Tools> Save DAE... (or save OBJ... or export as XML file) As far as I can see the first only exports the shapes and no textures, but I can be wrong.

Nick Zwart - 3DLES

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Nick Zwart - 3DLES <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Kay,

The export function is in the third layer of the circle menu. So when you have some prims linked together. Right click on the prims, you will see the circle menu. Now at the bottom of this circle, select: More> - More> (again) - Tools> Save DAE... (or save OBJ... or export as XML file) As far as I can see the first only exports the shapes and no textures, but I can be wrong.

Nick Zwart - 3DLES

Nick,

Brilliant!  Thank you!

Best,
Kay

Re: exporting prims as mesh using Singularity 1.8.1

Tom Willans
Hi Folks,

Is anyone getting the textures to export? I am getting the shape and colour.  Very impressive though and very useful for me.

Thanks
Tom

Tom Willans  BSc(Hons)  MBCS  CITP
PhD Student
Serious Games Institute, Coventry University
United Kingdom

Managing Director Bessacarr Publications Ltd
+44 (0)121 288 0281
email: [hidden email]
skype: tom.willans
Second Life and OSGrid: Tom Tiros