freeswitch problems (talk button)

Paul Fishwick
We have built a freeswitch server but I am having problems accessing
it from home. here are the things that have been done and work:

 1. Freeswitch server installed on Machine X
 2. Using SL client 1.23.5 (the latest production version), I can
     log into opensim also on X and the Talk button is present (and can be
     pressed). The SL client is set to have voice active. The server
     and opensim combination seems to work.
 3. Using the same SL client from another location (home) and
     logging to X, the Talk button is greyed-out (the shadow
     of the button); however, all other opensim functions work (navigation,
     etc). The only difference between this and the previous trial was where
     the client is started (i.e., at work where it is fine, and at home
where it
     is a problem).
 4. A couple of other people have tried the client to X from their homes
and the
     talk button appears.

I have duplicated the problem in step #3 with two different clients at
home (windows 7 and a mac). I would think that this points to a port
forwarding issue; however:

 a) I've never had to set up port forwarding on a client program (only
server
     programs such as the FreeSwitch server, Opensim, Mysql, Apache, etc).
 b) The other people who have gotten it to work also have routers at their
      houses

Has anyone else experienced the missing, of greyed out, Talk button issue
when connecting to opensim that is connected to a FreeSwitch server?

-p

Re: freeswitch problems (talk button)

Olli Aro
Administrator
Yeah I am having problems too with people login from different
environments/ISPs. Please see:

http://n2.nabble.com/Weird-freeswitch-problem-td4165222.html#a4165222

Are you using public IPs for the server all the way or doing a NAT?

Regards,

Olli

 I may have figured out the problem but not a good solution yet. It
turns out to be a port
or router configuration problem. When I bypassed the Cisco/Linksys
router, the Talk
button emerges. Also, if your router has DMZ, and you turn it on, then
this also works.
This is a security risk, however, as it opens up the target machine to
all ports.  So
the question is: which ports or port ranges are used by the client for
voice? I've done
searching and tried some combinations but no luck yet.
-p

Olli Aro wrote:

> Yeah I am having problems too with people login from different
> environments/ISPs. Please see:
>
> http://n2.nabble.com/Weird-freeswitch-problem-td4165222.html#a4165222
>
> Are you using public IPs for the server all the way or doing a NAT?
>
> Regards,
>
> Olli

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor
University of Florida
CISE Department, CSE 301
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

Re: freeswitch problems (talk button)

Olli Aro
Administrator
Well that is interesting. So, while I have been thinking that is must be a
difference between different ISPs it is probably their routers hardware
instead?

I have a Huawei router from O2 and that seems to work without having to set
any ports and DMZ. The same time e.g. the cable modem from Virgin Media does
not work. This all is in the UK.

As John says the port for Freeswitch is 5060 both ways and both tcp and udp.

Skype is nice because it only uses standard port 80. However still one would
expect that when ISPs give you a home router all ports are completely open
but maybe not...

Regards,

Olli

Master_Mirage
if yah look at the code it picks avail port , user port is unknowen . same thing happens when you stream
take i look .. :)
Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: freeswitch problems (talk button)

Master_Mirage
It assumes the point as a global server .. simple
Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: freeswitch problems (talk button)

Master_Mirage
Of i waned to slove that , it would be via proxy pipe on the random port. Any streaming assumes a bit of working proxy fun. pipe what yah know , bet it rings fine :)
Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: freeswitch problems (talk button)

Paul Fishwick
The problem I am having now was reported by before (by you, I think).
When the opensim
instance has started, and I start Freeswitch, I get:

2010-02-06 13:17:46.157808 [ERR] mod_xml_curl.c:304 Received HTTP error
404 trying to fetch http://theIPaddress:9000/api/freeswitch-config

I am not really sure of the mechanism by which one can use HTTP to
opensim (as opposed to
Apache), but freeswitch seems unable to get file "freeswitch-config".
Freeswitch is enabled in
OpenSim and the http_listener_port is 9000 (default).

have tried this on 0.6.8 (stable) as well as trunk.

-p

Olli Aro wrote:

> Well that is interesting. So, while I have been thinking that is must be a
> difference between different ISPs it is probably their routers hardware
> instead?
>
> I have a Huawei router from O2 and that seems to work without having to set
> any ports and DMZ. The same time e.g. the cable modem from Virgin Media does
> not work. This all is in the UK.
>
> As John says the port for Freeswitch is 5060 both ways and both tcp and udp.
>

> Skype is nice because it only uses standard port 80. However still one would
> expect that when ISPs give you a home router all ports are completely open
> but maybe not...
>
> Regards,
>
> Olli

To be fairm i was just looking the the code, I have not actual made it part of our grid. O have run tests and as we host all the servers under one domain . i cant really say what happens cross domain. Forgive my silly but i have one view as one domain ti the the users , not nixed
I cant say with in the domain i own what works. and its wrong of me to asume passed that.
ty for the email :)
Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: freeswitch problems (talk button)

Master_Mirage
Narf! ment to say it works in my domain as a grid. I have no idea about cross domain's
my bad
Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: freeswitch problems (talk button)

Master_Mirage
add a bit
I run top domain as a grid and i can make it work, heres a thought
When i try i get hacked!
It works fine if your top domain but really i dont use it now.
Ut works well but its notworth what i know
If i were to say how to , it not fair
It works, no crap to it! but theres resion too
just saying , it works but man.. :)
Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: freeswitch problems (talk button)

Olli Aro
Administrator
Hi Paul,

Don't think that error did make any difference for me in the end. If I
remember correctly I did manage to get the voice working even if that error
but only from certain ISPs.

But I did have to make some adjustments to the enter-sound files as
described at:

http://n2.nabble.com/Weird-freeswitch-problem-td4165222.html#a4165222

Regards,

Olli

Yes, I think you're right - there are a couple of freeswitch errors and
these
can be ignored. I managed to get my installation up and running with
local help
on the procedure. There are 3 key lessons learned on our end:

 1) One must use numeric IP addresses rather than domain names in
Opensim.ini
      in the [Freeswitch] area.      Other aspects of OpenSim admit
domain names
      without issue (ie. Region files) but not here.

 2) There a bit in the landflags field in Mysql. I could not set this
bit through two
      different clients; however, there is a sql command that will set
it. It is a hack,
      but works. All of the videos and online documentation regarding
enabling voice
      simply didn't work.

 3) Routers need to be configured correctly on the client where those
routers include
     firewalls. It is not simply a matter of 5060 - there are more ports
to specify.

I am going to write something up on the next few days..

-p

\Olli Aro wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Don't think that error did make any difference for me in the end. If I
> remember correctly I did manage to get the voice working even if that error
> but only from certain ISPs.
>
> But I did have to make some adjustments to the enter-sound files as
> described at:
>
> http://n2.nabble.com/Weird-freeswitch-problem-td4165222.html#a4165222
>
> Regards,
>
> Olli

Hi John,

Are you saying that you now have this reliably working from different
locations/ISPs?

If yes, would you mind giving me the completely list of ports each client
side needs to configure, so I could see if that also fixes the issues we
have?

Also, did you end up having to make the changes to enter-sound as described
in my earlier post?

Regards,

Olli

 Here are the ports (for the clients behind routers sporting firewalls):

   http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Getting_Started_Guide

 See under Configuration -> Firewall.

 The other option is enabling DMZ in the router, but this isn't as secure.

 For the sounds, we used

 make install sounds-install moh-install

 there is also make cd-sounds-install cd-moh-install, but not sure of
 the difference. Probably...the latter are of higher quality (44.1khz?)

-p

Olli Aro wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Are you saying that you now have this reliably working from different
> locations/ISPs?
>
> If yes, would you mind giving me the completely list of ports each client
> side needs to configure, so I could see if that also fixes the issues we
> have?
>
> Also, did you end up having to make the changes to enter-sound as described
> in my earlier post?
>
> Regards,
>
> Olli

Hurray, we got it working now as well!

One word of warning though that might have caused us mixed test results
before:

Since the voice is parcel based. If you have a lot of small parcels, you
always must ensure that all people on the call are on the same parcel
(otherwise for those who are not there is no voice).

Regards,

Olli