greetings

John "Pathfinder" Lester
Hiya,

I've recently joined this list and just wanted to say hello and
introduce myself.

From 2005-2010 I worked at Linden Lab, where I was known as
"Pathfinder Linden."  My focus was on educational uses of Second Life
and supporting the community of academics and teachers.  Linden Lab
laid me off back in March.

I've started using Opensim recently, and I think the future
possibilities of this platform far exceed anything else that's out
there.  I want to help make that future happen, specifically for
educators and academics interested in an open source and truly
interconnected virtual world.

If you'd like to read more about my thoughts about virtual worlds and
Opensim, please take a look at my blog:

http://becunningandfulloftricks.com

Take care,

-John "Pathfinder" Lester

----------------------------
John E. Lester
Mobile: 617 910 0386 | Twitter: @Pathfinder
Blog: http://becunningandfulloftricks.com

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Re: greetings

James Stallings II
Greetings Pathfinder and welcome to the OpenSim community!

I am very excited that you're very excited about opensim, and I look forward with great anticipation to the breadth and depth of experience you bring to the table.

Cheers, and and again, welcome !

James Stallings aka Hiro Protagonist

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:53 AM, John "Pathfinder" Lester <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hiya,

I've recently joined this list and just wanted to say hello and
introduce myself.

From 2005-2010 I worked at Linden Lab, where I was known as
[...]

j_jamesk

I just read the article "A Virtual World in my Hands: Running OpenSim and Imprudence on a USB Key" and OMG am going to try it. :o)

And for what it’s worth, I hope many more of the abandoned staff come to join us in opensim.

James

Re: greetings

Snoopy Pfeffer
A friend did try sim-on-a-stick already and did experience OpenSim.exe crashes under Windows XP and Windows 7.

This was the source of information he did use:  http://dwellonit.taterunino.net/sim-on-a-stick/

Best,

Snoopy

I just read the article "A Virtual World in my Hands: Running OpenSim and Imprudence on a USB Key" and OMG am going to try it. :o)

And for what it’s worth, I hope many more of the abandoned staff come to join us in opensim.

James

Re: greetings

GarminKawaguichi
Bonjour Pathfinder,

I'm very happy to see you here :)))
I wish you'll find all tools needed to continue your great works!
GCI aka Garmin Kawaguichi

At 17:27 11/10/2010, [hidden email] wrote:
> > I've recently joined this list and just wanted to say hello and
> > introduce myself.

Welcome Pathfinder.  Ai

Re: greetings

Marcus Alexander Link
Hello Pathfinder,

good to see another passionate user and advocate of
SL Technology/OpenSim on the mailing list.

Welcome.

Fim Fischer

--
http://www.manupool.de
Mobile: +49 1577 422 0000

Re: greetings

j_jamesk

It ran okay on my XP SP3 PC but dies on my windows 7 64bit which I knew it would.

I’m more intrigued by its performance, I have my own opensim setup which seems to hammer the drive but this USB version seems to out perform mine, I’ll be having a nose around the configuration that’s for sure to see why it performs better.

James

I just read the article "A Virtual World in my Hands: Running OpenSim and Imprudence on a USB Key" and OMG am going to try it. :o)

And for what it’s worth, I hope many more of the abandoned staff come to join us in opensim.

James

I just read the article "A Virtual World in my Hands: Running OpenSim and Imprudence on a USB Key" and OMG am going to try it. :o)

And for what it’s worth, I hope many more of the abandoned staff come to join us in opensim.

James

Re: greetings

Ideia Boa
  Welcome Pathfinder to the OpenSim community!

Joao Lopes aka Ideia Boa
WorldSimTerra Grid

On 11-10-2010 5:53, John "Pathfinder" Lester wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I've recently joined this list and just wanted to say hello and
> introduce myself.
>
> > From 2005-2010 I worked at Linden Lab, where I was known as
> "Pathfinder Linden."  My focus was on educational uses of Second Life
> and supporting the community of academics and teachers.  Linden Lab
> laid me off back in March.
>
> I've started using Opensim recently, and I think the future
> possibilities of this platform far exceed anything else that's out
> there.  I want to help make that future happen, specifically for
> educators and academics interested in an open source and truly
> interconnected virtual world.
>
> If you'd like to read more about my thoughts about virtual worlds and
> Opensim, please take a look at my blog:
>
> http://becunningandfulloftricks.com
>
> Take care,
>
> -John "Pathfinder" Lester
>
> ----------------------------
> John E. Lester
> Mobile: 617 910 0386 | Twitter: @Pathfinder
> Blog: http://becunningandfulloftricks.com
>
> “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood,
> divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
> vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

ideiaboa.vcf (284 bytes) Download Attachment
Best regards
Ideia Boa
www.WorldSimTerra.com

Re: greetings

j_jamesk

Sorry there was a typo I meant “dies on my windows 7 64bit which I knew it wouldn’t” and yes I know there is a 32bit launcher but its kind of defeats running it on a 64 bit and yes, recompiling the libraries is an option :o)

I just read the article "A Virtual World in my Hands: Running OpenSim and Imprudence on a USB Key" and OMG am going to try it. :o)

And for what it’s worth, I hope many more of the abandoned staff come to join us in opensim.

James

Re: greetings

andrew johnson-3

welcome :)

Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 20:54:07 +0200
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]

  Welcome Pathfinder to the OpenSim community!

Joao Lopes aka Ideia Boa
WorldSimTerra Grid

On 11-10-2010 5:53, John "Pathfinder" Lester wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I've recently joined this list and just wanted to say hello and
> introduce myself.
>
>> From 2005-2010 I worked at Linden Lab, where I was known as
> "Pathfinder Linden."  My focus was on educational uses of Second Life
> and supporting the community of academics and teachers.  Linden Lab
> laid me off back in March.
>
> I've started using Opensim recently, and I think the future
> possibilities of this platform far exceed anything else that's out
> there.  I want to help make that future happen, specifically for
> educators and academics interested in an open source and truly
> interconnected virtual world.
>
> If you'd like to read more about my thoughts about virtual worlds and
> Opensim, please take a look at my blog:
>
> http://becunningandfulloftricks.com
>
> Take care,
>
> -John "Pathfinder" Lester
>
> ----------------------------
> John E. Lester
> Mobile: 617 910 0386 | Twitter: @Pathfinder
> Blog: http://becunningandfulloftricks.com
>
> “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood,
> divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
> vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Re: greetings

Matto Destiny
Good to see you here John "Pathfinder" Lester :)

Been reading your blog and its a great read. Tried the USB on a stick with Windows vista and worked great :).

Got you on twitter to so i can keep upto date when you post something new.

Have fun & take care

Re: greetings

John "Pathfinder" Lester
Wow, thank you for the warm welcome.  :D

I'm off to Finland tomorrow to give a keynote and lead some panel
discussion on "Second Life in Education."
http://prospects.library2pointoh.fi/

I plan on speaking more about the bigger picture.  How the future of
the Metaverse hinges on interconnectivity and open source, just like
the Internet and the Web.  SL is important, but at the end of the day
it is just one small piece of the puzzle.

So among other things I'll be giving a live demo of Opensim on a USB
key, how to export/import content, and will do some live hypergrid
teleporting between different online Opensim grids.

-John

----------------------------
John E. Lester
Mobile: 617 910 0386 | Twitter: @Pathfinder
Blog: http://becunningandfulloftricks.com

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood,
divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the
vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Matto Destiny
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good to see you here John "Pathfinder" Lester :)
>
> Been reading your blog and its a great read. Tried the USB on a stick with
> Windows vista and worked great :).
>
> Got you on twitter to so i can keep upto date when you post something new.
>
> Have fun & take care

Re: greetings

Ric Moore
On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 11:53 -0400, John "Pathfinder" Lester wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I've recently joined this list and just wanted to say hello and
> introduce myself.
>
> >From 2005-2010 I worked at Linden Lab, where I was known as
> "Pathfinder Linden."  My focus was on educational uses of Second Life
> and supporting the community of academics and teachers.  Linden Lab
> laid me off back in March.
>
> I've started using Opensim recently, and I think the future
> possibilities of this platform far exceed anything else that's out
> there.  I want to help make that future happen, specifically for
> educators and academics interested in an open source and truly
> interconnected virtual world.

We're looking to build an EDU world for prison rehab... using all of my
rowdy friends to do it. What precluded us from using SL was we need the
security of the entire enterprise to be on a localnet. And, most of our
target sites have fiber networks. NICE! It's going to be one heckuva
ride. We'll be totally open source, so whatever we come up with with be
shared, no worries about Linden Dollars, chasing down copiers, or any of
that. But, I doubt anyone would STEAL from my group. Not if they're
sane. <grins> Ric

Linux user# 44256

Re: greetings

James Stallings II
John (Pathfinder):

Please PLEASE verify that your hypergrid destinations are actually up and available before your keynote :)

Also it would be good to verify your content will export/import successfully. One of 'those things' about opensim: it can be full of surprises at the most inopportune times. Do your homework sir, and good luck :)

Cheers
James/Hiro

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 8:15 PM, Ric Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 2010-10-11 at 11:53 -0400, John "Pathfinder" Lester wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I've recently joined this list and just wanted to say hello and
> introduce myself.
>
> >From 2005-2010 I worked at Linden Lab, where I was known as
> "Pathfinder Linden."  My focus was on educational uses of Second Life
> and supporting the community of academics and teachers.  Linden Lab
> laid me off back in March.
>
> I've started using Opensim recently, and I think the future
> possibilities of this platform far exceed anything else that's out
> there.  I want to help make that future happen, specifically for
> educators and academics interested in an open source and truly
> interconnected virtual world.

We're looking to build an EDU world for prison rehab... using all of my
rowdy friends to do it. What precluded us from using SL was we need the
security of the entire enterprise to be on a localnet. And, most of our
target sites have fiber networks. NICE! It's going to be one heckuva
ride. We'll be totally open source, so whatever we come up with with be
shared, no worries about Linden Dollars, chasing down copiers, or any of
that. But, I doubt anyone would STEAL from my group. Not if they're
sane. <grins> Ric

Linux user# 44256

Re: greetings

Jason Shipley
Welcome John.  It's great to see you here.  You did great things for the
EDU community in SL and many of us were sad to see you leave.  Your
knowledge and ideas will definitely be of great benefit to the OpenSim
community.

Jason

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 3:16 AM, James Stallings II <[hidden email]> wrote:

We're looking to build an EDU world for prison rehab... using all of my
rowdy friends to do it. What precluded us from using SL was we need the
security of the entire enterprise to be on a localnet. And, most of our
target sites have fiber networks. NICE! It's going to be one heckuva
ride. We'll be totally open source, so whatever we come up with with be
shared, no worries about Linden Dollars, chasing down copiers, or any of
that. But, I doubt anyone would STEAL from my group. Not if they're
sane. <grins> Ric

That sounds very exciting.
The participants role-play, lets say police officer?
Please keep me updated!

Marcus

Re: greetings

Teravus Ovares
I'm not sure if you're still looking for 'Nu Athens', however, if you are, I found an alternative link on
http://www.rexxed.com/2009/04/nu-athens-4-region-sim/

-Teravus

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:53 AM, John "Pathfinder" Lester <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hiya,

I've recently joined this list and just wanted to say hello and
introduce myself.

From 2005-2010 I worked at Linden Lab, where I was known as

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 09:25 +0200, Marcus Alexander Link wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 3:16 AM, James Stallings II
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>                 We're looking to build an EDU world for prison
>                 rehab... using all of my
>                 rowdy friends to do it. What precluded us from using
>                 SL was we need the
>                 security of the entire enterprise to be on a localnet.
>                 And, most of our
>                 target sites have fiber networks. NICE! It's going to
>                 be one heckuva
>                 ride. We'll be totally open source, so whatever we
>                 come up with with be
>                 shared, no worries about Linden Dollars, chasing down
>                 copiers, or any of
>                 that. But, I doubt anyone would STEAL from my group.
>                 Not if they're
>                 sane. <grins> Ric
>

> That sounds very exciting.
> The participants role-play, lets say police officer?
> Please keep me updated!

Once we manage to get permissions to roll, it's gonna be a hoot! The
role-plays will be re-enactments of the 100+ "Elements of Criminal
Thinking". Thought processes common to infractions of the law. So, I'm
using Opensim as a "clothespin" to grab attention that this is not the
usual "classroom" experience, which is painful to those who lack
reading/writing skills. The lowest form of life with a spinal cord will
turn away from a lit match... pain. With our massive brains attached to
our armored spinal cords, we turn from pain in interesting (and
dangerous to others) ways. Opensim will drop that perception of pain,
from classical education, so that the good information can be presented
to replace bad information previously acquired. I think it's worth a
shot. Nothing else in the last 50 years or more has worked. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256