how to make objects visible only to select avies

how to make objects visible only to select avies

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello,
This is a toughie that I haven't been able to get my head around,
except that I find that this requirements pops up often in things I
want to implement.
I was wondering if others feel the need to have a function similar to
llOwnerSay .. but for objects llOwnerShow
Of course one could broaden the target category to include select
avies and not just owners.
A simple example where this could be needed is for card games, you
want specific avies to see specific cards.
I do not like the HUD approach because it really introduces a lot of
friction and breaks immersivity.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks
Ramesh

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate
Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
Blog, LinkedIn, DeepSemaphore LLC, Google+ profile

Re: how to make objects visible only to select avies

Lindy (McKeown) Orwin
Ramesh
This function could be really useful for quests or education and training applications where certain avatars achieve a level or target and can then move on to another activity that is invisible until that status has been acquired.

It would also allow you to have different activities, notecards, clues, resources available to different groups of avatars eg from different age or skill groups, from different clients (company specific training info), different classes (activities int he same area may differ for say a social work student to a pharmacy student).

Even to add complexity or simplify a context for learning say for first years compared to fourth years.

Just a few ideas.
Lindy

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
This is a toughie that I haven't been able to get my head around,
except that I find that this requirements pops up often in things I
want to implement.
I was wondering if others feel the need to have a function similar to
llOwnerSay .. but for objects llOwnerShow
Of course one could broaden the target category to include select
avies and not just owners.
A simple example where this could be needed is for card games, you
want specific avies to see specific cards.
I do not like the HUD approach because it really introduces a lot of
friction and breaks immersivity.
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks
Ramesh

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate
Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
83209 Tel: <a href="tel:208-240-0040" value="+12082400040">208-240-0040
Blog, LinkedIn, DeepSemaphore LLC, Google+ profile

Re: how to make objects visible only to select avies

In principle one could do this but it would require a lot of engineering so I don't see it happening anytime soon.

In a way it's also quite 'world-breaking' - what I see is no longer approximately what you see.  But one could also
argue that with local environmental setting changes.

On 21/03/12 18:44, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:

> Hello,
> This is a toughie that I haven't been able to get my head around,
> except that I find that this requirements pops up often in things I
> want to implement.
> I was wondering if others feel the need to have a function similar to
> llOwnerSay .. but for objects llOwnerShow
> Of course one could broaden the target category to include select
> avies and not just owners.
> A simple example where this could be needed is for card games, you
> want specific avies to see specific cards.
> I do not like the HUD approach because it really introduces a lot of
> friction and breaks immersivity.
> Let me know your thoughts.
> Thanks
> Ramesh

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: how to make objects visible only to select avies

Miller, Peter
Dreamland Metaverse allow you to construct default avatars with preloaded inventory (you can use IARs for that purpose if you like) and then assign such avatars to users via CSV format text along with a start location in grid coords. Not a commercial plug, just saying that some people are doing this already.

Can't help with osOwnerShow.

Best wishes

Peter

Re: how to make objects visible only to select avies

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
This assumption does not hold in the real world even though it is
assumed to be the case:
'what I see is approximately what you see.'
The virtual world provides freedom to access camera that cannot
parallel real world POVs.
In the real world, in many collaborative settings, it is possible to
have control on what you want others to see and reveal at very fine
degree of control what others need to see, when needed.
The very fact that this is impossible to do in current virtual worlds
is a hurdle for many collaborative applications.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Justin Clark-Casey
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> In principle one could do this but it would require a lot of engineering so
> I don't see it happening anytime soon.
>
> In a way it's also quite 'world-breaking' - what I see is no longer
> approximately what you see.  But one could also argue that with local
> environmental setting changes.
>

> On 21/03/12 18:44, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>> This is a toughie that I haven't been able to get my head around,
>> except that I find that this requirements pops up often in things I
>> want to implement.
>> I was wondering if others feel the need to have a function similar to
>> llOwnerSay .. but for objects llOwnerShow
>> Of course one could broaden the target category to include select
>> avies and not just owners.
>> A simple example where this could be needed is for card games, you
>> want specific avies to see specific cards.
>> I do not like the HUD approach because it really introduces a lot of
>> friction and breaks immersivity.
>> Let me know your thoughts.
>> Thanks
>> Ramesh
>>

> --
> Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
> http://justincc.org/blog
> http://twitter.com/justincc

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate
Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
Blog, LinkedIn, DeepSemaphore LLC, Google+ profile

Re: how to make objects visible only to select avies

R.Gunther
Still the idea is intressting. other way to prevent content viewing for
some avatars ??

On 2012-03-23 04:45, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> In principle one could do this but it would require a lot of
> engineering so I don't see it happening anytime soon.
>
> In a way it's also quite 'world-breaking' - what I see is no longer
> approximately what you see.  But one could also argue that with local
> environmental setting changes.
>
> On 21/03/12 18:44, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
>> Hello,
>> This is a toughie that I haven't been able to get my head around,
>> except that I find that this requirements pops up often in things I
>> want to implement.
>> I was wondering if others feel the need to have a function similar to
>> llOwnerSay .. but for objects llOwnerShow
>> Of course one could broaden the target category to include select
>> avies and not just owners.
>> A simple example where this could be needed is for card games, you
>> want specific avies to see specific cards.
>> I do not like the HUD approach because it really introduces a lot of
>> friction and breaks immersivity.
>> Let me know your thoughts.
>> Thanks
>> Ramesh

Re: how to make objects visible only to select avies

Neil Canham
With a viewer 2/3 based viewer, the media-on-a-prim functionality is the easiest way to achieve this for flat items or content (the cards example say).  In fact, the hardest thing with media-on-a-prim is to make sure everyone sees the same thing!  Since the media surfaces in that case are effectively browsers embedded in the client making their own requests, you can arrange for everyone's experience to be tailored to them.

Neil

Still the idea is intressting. other way to prevent content viewing for some avatars ??

Re: how to make objects visible only to select avies

Miller, Peter
For some purposes you might be able to use MOAP specific for an IP address, i.e. regulated on your web server. It wouldn't necessarily work on the average sim but it might work for an educator in a specific class. Students would need to set any IP filters appropriately, of course.

Best wishes

Peter

On 2012-03-23 04:45, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> In principle one could do this but it would require a lot of
> engineering so I don't see it happening anytime soon.
>
> In a way it's also quite 'world-breaking' - what I see is no longer
> approximately what you see.  But one could also argue that with local
> environmental setting changes.
>
> On 21/03/12 18:44, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
>> Hello,
>> This is a toughie that I haven't been able to get my head around,
>> except that I find that this requirements pops up often in things I
>> want to implement.
>> I was wondering if others feel the need to have a function similar to
>> llOwnerSay .. but for objects llOwnerShow
>> Of course one could broaden the target category to include select
>> avies and not just owners.
>> A simple example where this could be needed is for card games, you
>> want specific avies to see specific cards.
>> I do not like the HUD approach because it really introduces a lot of
>> friction and breaks immersivity.
>> Let me know your thoughts.
>> Thanks
>> Ramesh

Re: how to make objects visible only to select avies

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Lindy,
:) yes I concur as I went through similar thought process. Everything
you mentioned can of course can be implemented through HUDs but that
kind of break flow in world and critical context in world. I realize
it is one of those things that is difficult to get across unless one
experiences them during the private ideation processes. My take is
that it will perhaps never be implemented as I realize that to achieve
that will require deep changes in code.