hypergrid stand alone to germangrid

paul emery
Running stand alone diva v 0.7.0.2 Post_fixes on windows server. Using Hippo. When i try to hg other places e.g. germangrid.de:8002:Tamaland the address shows on the world map and ava arrives but after about 5 or 10 seconds i am logged out.

My stand alone console shows this error:

OpenSim.Services.Connectors.Simulation.SimulationServiceConnector [REMOTE SIMULATION CONNECTOR]: exception on reply of ChilAgentUpdate from http://85.214.113.173:9017/agent/6724e257-ac31-4320-82a2-f8e271e6de13/: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.

More of console log here
http://pastebin.com/5fzLXKKu

I have used the domain name 3dcolab.com as the external hostname in the region file and in all places in the myworld.ini. So as far as i can determine the ip address is not used in any place that I set up. the coords for the 4 regions are "6833,6176" ,etc

Help

Re: hypergrid stand alone to germangrid

core
Paul,

The first thing I noticed was that you are attempting to jump from an OpenSim distribution which is using a hypergrid version different from the intended destination.  0.7.0.2 uses HG 1.5i6 while GermanGrid is running on 0.7.1 which uses HG 1.5i7.  Actually, I'm surprised you were even able to make contact with the Tamaland region as most attempts simply return a "none found" in the map when the origin and destination are using incompatible HG versions.

Second, in your log file, it seems that when you request the GermanGrid location your server says "Region already exists in coordinates 28960 0" which leads me to believe that you had previously linked that location to your home map from the console (?).  I could be wrong but I recall similar log entries from my own server.  If this is the case, it may be that you are attempting to jump to regions that have since upgraded their version of OpenSim.  This would likely cause a partial teleport with eventual fail as you would be using a link which seems perfectly fine to you but no longer valid on GermanGrid.  It's like clicking an outdated bookmark in your web browser and getting a "404" page in response.

If any of this makes sense or even applies to your situation, I hope it helps.

.core

On 4/23/2011 5:47 PM, paul emery wrote:
[...]

Wow. 3 different versions of hg - looks a little messy. Thanks for the reply. No i have not tried to link to any regions from the console so that is not an issue.

I see now that i can get to fleepgrid.com:8002 and hbase42.hopto.org:8002:Hyperbase42
So i assume that they are running hg 1/5i6

lets see is this right
0.6.9   = hg 1.0
0.7.0.2 = hg 1.5i6
0.7.1   = hg 1.5i7

Is there a way to see/control directly what hg version a sim will be running. Also what is the future hold for standardizing or should i assume that hg 1.5i7 is the "standard".

Still not sure how i could get to the sim and then 5 seconds later it kicked me off.

Re: hypergrid stand alone to germangrid

Fleep Tuque
Hi Paul,

As far as I know, this is correct:

0.6.9   = hg 1.0
0.7.0.2 = hg 1.5i6
0.7.1   = hg 1.5i7

The HG version is controlled by the version of Opensim you're running, so changing Opensim versions is the only way to change your HG version - and yes, which means at the moment there are three incompatible versions (actually for a while I thought OSGrid was maybe a 4th?  Or maybe they were just inaccessible to anyone.)

I frequently have the experience of Hypergridding to a new sim and actually seeing it rez before I crash, and sometimes repeating the process works and sometimes it doesn't.  I never fully understand what the problem is, usually I just assume they are on a different HG version or something.

I've also never gotten the Hypergates to work on FleepGrid for some reason, not even to what appears to be other HG 1.5 (i6) grids.  I know people can get TO FleepGrid from compatible grids, though, so I'm assuming my set up is ok.

I think generally HG is still in such early development that we can expect lots of changes and lack of backwards compatibility between versions is just the price we pay for advancement.  Hooray for the bleeding edge.  ;)

Sincerely,

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL: Fleep Tuque)
Project Manager, UC Second Life
Second Life Ambassador, Ohio Learning Network
UCit Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406E Zimmer Hall
PO Box 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513)556-3018

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 11:03 PM, paul emery <[hidden email]> wrote:
Wow. 3 different versions of hg - looks a little messy. Thanks for the reply.
No i have not tried to link to any regions from the console so that is not
an issue.

I see now that i can get to fleepgrid.com:8002 and
hbase42.hopto.org:8002:Hyperbase42
So i assume that they are running hg 1/5i6

lets see is this right
0.6.9   = hg 1.0
0.7.0.2 = hg 1.5i6
0.7.1   = hg 1.5i7

Is there a way to see/control directly what hg version a sim will be
running. Also what is the future hold for standardizing or should i assume
that hg 1.5i7 is the "standard".

Still not sure how i could get to the sim and then 5 seconds later it kicked
me off.

Re: hypergrid stand alone to germangrid

Diva Canto
The security introduced in HG 1.5 makes the viewer crash if the
departing grid doesn't run 1.5. The receiving simulator performs some
checks that only exist in 1.5, and if they fail, the viewer crashes, per
design.

On 4/23/2011 8:27 PM, Fleep Tuque wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> As far as I know, this is correct:
>
> 0.6.9   = hg 1.0
> 0.7.0.2 = hg 1.5i6
Between these two there was a complete redesign of the HG. They are
intentionally incompatible: 1.0 had very weak security.

> 0.7.0.2 = hg 1.5i6
> 0.7.1   = hg 1.5i7

Between these two, the incompatibility was unintentional, but
unavoidable. The culprit was actually libomv. There is a bug in the
libomv that is packaged in 0.7.0.2 and that was fixed some time later.
The fix makes TPs to older versions (that have the bug) fail. As such,
this incompatibility was unavoidable; we couldn't keep the bug in that
library for the sake of backwards compatibility in HG.

I don't like the naming i6/i7, because the HG interface didn't change.
There were some changes in the way appearance is packaged, but that, by
itself, would not make things incompatible. libomv's bug was the
dominant factor, and I could not get around the consequences of that bug
fix. But if those strings i6/i7 make people happy, I'm not going to
fight it.

Re: hypergrid stand alone to germangrid

 > From: Diva Canto <[hidden email]>
 >
 > I don't like the naming i6/i7, because the HG interface didn't change.
 > There were some changes in the way appearance is packaged, but that, by
 > itself, would not make things incompatible. libomv's bug was the
 > dominant factor, and I could not get around the consequences of that bug
 > fix.

I agree.. i7 naming is not really right and may introduce more
confusion by using i7 when the interface is still actually 6 in the
migration/version tables. I have before suggested HG1.5/i6b just to
show its different, but I really think the HG number itself ought to
alter whenever a version of OpenSim is incompatible with an earlier
version even if it's not HG code or protocols themselves that alter.

For 0.7.1 would it make sense to bump the HG version number before
full release to 1.6?