invisible/invalid regions from remote client

invisible/invalid regions from remote client

Steven Salter

Diva Canto [hidden email]
Sat Feb 25 04:35:16 CET 2012

said:

>The Diva distro is configured to use mega regions. There are some
>constraints for sequencing megaregions in the RegionsConfig.ini file.
>They need to be S->N, W->E

(Sorry, I got this in a digest and couldn't see how to reply directly. I changed from digest so I get separate posts now.)

The region numbering was certainly part of the problem.

I renumbered the regions precisely as noted below but still no joy. I remembered reading about problems with existing terrain so I removed my MySql database, recreated it, ran the Diva Configure, and the same result. Local login I see everything. Remote login and see  nothing but the starting point.

[region1]
Location = 6000,6000

[region2]
Location = 6001,6000

[region3]
Location = 6002,6000

[region4]
Location = 6000,6001

[region5]
Location = 6001,6001

[region6]
Location = 6002,6001

[region7]
Location = 6000,6002

[region8]
Location = 6001,6002

[region9]
Location = 6002,6002

[region10]
Location = 6000,6003

[region11]
Location = 6001,6003

[region12]
Location = 6002,6003

*sigh*

So, I'm going to try once more from scratch.
-Zapped the opensim database.
-Zapped my Diva directory while saving off a couple files for reference.
-Recreated 'opensim' in MySql.
-Re-installed original Diva dist.
-Modified RegionConfig.ini for ExternalHost to point to public machine name but that was all. Didn't touch MyWorld.ini.

Same results. Local is fine, remote is not.  The remote I'm using is a Mac running Imprudence, that shouldn't matter.

Added  "CombineContiguousRegions =  false"  to MyWorld.ini.

Restarted OpenSim...and STILL the local is fine but remote is not.

I noted that the Diva dist doesn't number regions "properly" according to OpenSim page "http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Setting_Up_Mega-Regions", ie: sw -> ne.  I renumbered them, added unique UUIDs, removed my CombineContiguousRegions=false statement from myworld.ini and restarted.

Still no go...final attempt for today.
Zapped MySql.
added CombineContiguousRegions=false.
Ran Configure and for the heck of it I put in the static IP in lieu of the public machine name.
Started...same results.

I see the "mounds" of the four regions on the map and can even teleport to them but I'm apparently standing on water...from a remote connection.

ports are open, megaregions disabled, unique UUIDs, regions located in proper numerical sequence although that shouldn't matter with megaregions turned off...

I'm baffled...wish I was a drinking man.

;)
Steve

Re: invisible/invalid regions from remote client

Steven Salter
As an added attraction ...perhaps OSX does make a difference.

I've been running this on one of my servers where I work. Much better than the aging hardware I currently have at home.
Came home, popped up Imprudence and connected. I see all the default four "hills" the Diva installation put there.

So...I'll remote login to that server, re-enable mega-regions, restart OpenSim and see what happens.

Steve

> [...]

Still no go...final attempt for today.
Zapped MySql.
added CombineContiguousRegions=false.
Ran Configure and for the heck of it I put in the static IP in lieu of the public machine name.
Started...same results.

I see the "mounds" of the four regions on the map and can even teleport to them but I'm apparently standing on water...from a remote connection.

ports are open, megaregions disabled, unique UUIDs, regions located in proper numerical sequence although that shouldn't matter with megaregions turned off...

I'm baffled...wish I was a drinking man.

;)
Steve

Re: invisible/invalid regions from remote client

paul emery
This is my response to another thread but my point about the 'CombineContiguousRegions' line in the ini file might give some help

Diva's Simonastick comes as 4 regions combined into a mega region. Some times i find it handy to u couple them which allows me to load an oar in to each region or to add more regions then 4. To do this i comment out this line in divapreferences.ini CombineContiguousRegions=true
This way i still get all the configuration of wifi to use.

Re: invisible/invalid regions from remote client

Steven Salter
Thanks for the info, Paul.

Currently, I'm running the 12 regions as a megaregion right now. Being such a newbie, I'm not sure what the pros and cons are of contiguous regions as opposed to non-contiguous. Crossing a border region if terrain spans more than one region might not be smooth?

My only problem now is that my avatar shows up completely white...skin, clothes, and so on. Hmm, just happened this morning around 1:30am so I think I did something odd without realizing it in my state of fatigue. :)

Steve

delete sim

oztrout63
Hello all ...
I'm just wondering if i delete a sin will that delete everything on there ?

Thank you ...
oztrout

On 02/27/2012 02:20 PM, Salter, Steve wrote:

> Thanks for the info, Paul.
>
> Currently, I'm running the 12 regions as a megaregion right now. Being such a newbie, I'm not sure what the pros and cons are of contiguous regions as opposed to non-contiguous. Crossing a border region if terrain spans more than one region might not be smooth?
>

> My only problem now is that my avatar shows up completely white...skin, clothes, and so on. Hmm, just happened this morning around 1:30am so I think I did something odd without realizing it in my state of fatigue. :)
>
> Steve

Re: delete sim

Steven Salter
Depends on what you mean by deleting a sim. If you drop the database and recreate it fresh, you will have a clean sim.

If you are talking about deleting a region, that is another matter. From what I've read, the database may contain remnants of what was in that region. That might not be a problem for you though?

If you are talking about regions, this page describes the delete-region command.

Best way to zap a region to its pristine state I've found is to load  a blank oar. Vanish-2 posted this link and it worked great for me.

On Feb 28, 2012, at 3:54 AM, oztrout wrote:

Hello all ...
I'm just wondering if i delete a sin will that delete everything on there ?

Thank you ...
oztrout

On 02/27/2012 02:20 PM, Salter, Steve wrote:
Thanks for the info, Paul.

Currently, I'm running the 12 regions as a megaregion right now. Being such a newbie, I'm not sure what the pros and cons are of contiguous regions as opposed to non-contiguous. Crossing a border region if terrain spans more than one region might not be smooth?

My only problem now is that my avatar shows up completely white...skin, clothes, and so on. Hmm, just happened this morning around 1:30am so I think I did something odd without realizing it in my state of fatigue. :)

Steve

Re: invisible/invalid regions from remote client

In my opinion, megaregions should be regarded as experimental.  You will see some odd effects when using them (e.g. on
teleport and setting terrain).  Having said that, people do use them successfully.

If you don't use megaregions you will see avatar jerkiness when crossing region borders.  If everything is running on a
single system or on co-located systems then I don't find this to be too bad.  As you might expect, things get more hairy
when one simulator is running in somebody's closet in South Africa and the other one is slung over a horse in Western
Mongolia.

The white avatar issue might be resolved by a client-side cache clear or rebaking (ctrl+alt+r is the client shortcut).
Failing that, you may have put on a new set of white clothes or something similar.

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: invisible/invalid regions from remote client

Steven Salter
Thanks Justin. Just for safeties sake I did rebuild without megaregions. I've enough to learn right now without running into any problems associated with that. The jerkiness I can certainly live with since I'm just running a test standalone. Perhaps when I feel confident enough to evolve into an actual robust grid I'll re-examine the megaregion issues. :)

Steve