large terrains

Paul Fishwick
I played with large terrains a while back, and wanted to get back into
it,with
the discussion of megaterrains. After much searching through the web and
docs, my results are getting only one region filled. Here are the
parameters:

1) 2 x 2 region with the southwest at 1000,1000 and the northeast at
1001,1001
2) used L3DT to generate a nice heightfield with a floor of 0 and
terrain no higher than 60
3) this heightmap is 512x512 in resolution
4) exported the heightmap to an R32 format and called it test.r32
5) inside of the console after a change-region to the southwest
(1000,1000) region,

    terrain load-tile test.r32 2 2 1000 1000

    loads only region 1 @ 1000,1000

    the other 3 regions are as they were

Anyone else experienced this?

-p

--
Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs

Re: large terrains + megaregions

Paul Fishwick
After a couple of experiments, it re-dawned on me that the load-tile works
only when in the (root) region. When in root, terrain load-tile works fine,
and indeed setting CombineContiguousRegions=true to [Startup] in
OpenSim.ini creates one large region - no region crossings and the visual
pains that come with them (rubber banding, hesitations).

I created a 2x2 map labeling regions 1,2,3 and 4 for simplicity with
region 1
being at (1000,1000):

    2   3
    1   4

and then used L3DT to create a 512x512 heightmap. I am presuming that
regions
still have pointers to their respective assets even though when in the
viewer, I am
always "in" Region 1 which covers the entire 0,0 to 512,512 area.

-p

--
Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: [hidden email]
Phone: (352) 392-1414
Fax: (352) 392-1220
Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

Re: large terrains + megaregions

andrew johnson-3
what is L3DT

> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 11:52:54 -0400
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] large terrains + megaregions
>
> After a couple of experiments, it re-dawned on me that the load-tile works
> only when in the (root) region. When in root, terrain load-tile works fine,
> and indeed setting CombineContiguousRegions=true to [Startup] in
> OpenSim.ini creates one large region - no region crossings and the visual
> pains that come with them (rubber banding, hesitations).
>
> I created a 2x2 map labeling regions 1,2,3 and 4 for simplicity with
> region 1
> being at (1000,1000):
>

> 2 3
> 1 4
>
> and then used L3DT to create a 512x512 heightmap. I am presuming that
> regions
> still have pointers to their respective assets even though when in the
> viewer, I am
> always "in" Region 1 which covers the entire 0,0 to 512,512 area.
>
> -p
>

> Paul Fishwick wrote:
> > I played with large terrains a while back, and wanted to get back into
> > it,with
> > the discussion of megaterrains. After much searching through the web and
> > docs, my results are getting only one region filled. Here are the
> > parameters:
> >
> > 1) 2 x 2 region with the southwest at 1000,1000 and the northeast at
> > 1001,1001
> > 2) used L3DT to generate a nice heightfield with a floor of 0 and
> > terrain no higher than 60
> > 3) this heightmap is 512x512 in resolution
> > 4) exported the heightmap to an R32 format and called it test.r32
> > 5) inside of the console after a change-region to the southwest
> > (1000,1000) region,
> >
> > terrain load-tile test.r32 2 2 1000 1000
> >
> > loads only region 1 @ 1000,1000
> >
> > the other 3 regions are as they were
> >
> > Anyone else experienced this?
> >
> > -p
> >

> --
> Paul Fishwick, PhD
> Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
> University of Florida
> Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
> Bldg. CSE, Room 301
> P.O. Box 116120
> Gainesville, FL 32611
> Email: [hidden email]
> Phone: (352) 392-1414
> Fax: (352) 392-1220
> Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

Re: large terrains + megaregions

Paul Fishwick
http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/

Also, to make life simpler to start, I suggest the following after
downloading and starting L3DT:

1. File -> new project (select Designable map)
2. Set width and height. For example 512 for both. This will
    require 4 opensim regions in a 2x2 configuration
3. Take default HF/DM ratio
4. Modify the Design map parameters to whatever you want--
    more sea? rolling vs. fractal, etc.
5. click on Heightfield in the next window and then OK
6. Operations -> Heightfield -> Change vert. scale
7. Try something like Min alt of -20 and Max alt of 120 to start, and
press OK
8. File-> Export -> Export Map
9. Choose Heightfield
10. For file format, scroll to R32
11. Hit the browse button and enter a name such as myterrain.r32
12. Assuming you have set up 4 contiguous regions in a 2x2 configuration
in opensim...
13. And that you have added a new line "CombineContiguousRegions=true"
to [Startup]
      in OpenSim.ini
14. copy myterrain.r32 to your opensim\bin folder
15. launch opensim and stay in the (root) region. you should be there by
default
16. Fly to a high location, say 160 meters up
17. do "terrain load-tile myterrain.r32 2 2 1000 1000" in the opensim
console
18. Enjoy smooth motion throughout the space

Let me know if this works -- took a bit of twiddling to get all the
steps right

-p